City Supplement - Your favorite?

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Cities:
The Free City of Haven
Thieves World (the Chaosium edition - I do not have the newest edition, though I hear good things.)
Pavis
City State of the Invincible Overlord (I really need to get the new version, my old one disappeared during a move more than fifteen years ago)
Hollowfaust (see, I can spell it!)
City of the White Wolf (Warhammer)
Arkham Unveiled (Call of Cthulhu)
Five Fingers: Port of Deceit

Citybuilding:
City Works
Cities (Midkemia Press and Chaosium)
A Medieval Magical Society Western Europe

I am trying not to get my hopes up too high for Cityscape by WotC....

The Auld Grump

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Frost said:
Thanks, one and all.

In case you're curious, I've opted for Bard's Gate, as it seems to be the best fit for my campaign.

Thanks again. :)

YAY! :) I got a convert! :D Well Bowbe did but still... ;)

Treebore

First Post
Lockridge said:
In my opinion, Ptolus is by far the best. Many haven't tried it because of the price but boy, do you ever get a lot for your money. Furthermore everything is so well connected with cross-referencing that I find it very easy to use. You can almost just drop the players into the city and start a whole campaign by asking "what do you want to do..."

I also own City State of the Invicible Overlord and Freeport which are also good products.

I've tried it. I have the Banewarrens and a lot of the free downloads. Besides, when Sue Cook explained to me what they are doing with the pdf's (at GenCon) I decided for something as big as Ptolus PDF was the way to go.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
I have 3 faves:

Spelljammer's "The Rock of Bral"
Forgotten Realms' "FR2 Waterdeep" plus "City System" plus "Ruins of Undermountain"
Greyhawk's "The Adventure Begins"

Jeff Wilder

First Post
IMO, the best city supplement ever done -- and I've read many of them -- was Midkemia Press' Carse. An isometric poster-map, descriptions for literally every single building on the map, and interconnected NPCs, complete with friendships and rivalries. All in a book of about 100 pages. Best of all, it's system-neutral, so it works as well for 3.5 as it did for 1E and Fantasy Hero.

I'm very much enjoying the Game Mechanics' City Quarters series -- currently Thieves' Quarter and Temple Quarter -- but the delays are killing my enthusiasm. I spoke to the designer at GenCon and he says the print version of the next book probably won't be out until April 2007. Ouch.

I'm in the midst of Sharn right now, and enjoying it. I paged through Ptolus, but didn't care for it; it could be argued that I didn't give it a fair shake (and won't be, given the price of admission), but I didn't care for Ptolus when I ran Banewarrens, either. I liked nearly every city book done for the Scarred Lands, as well, with Hollowfaust being a particular favorite for the concept alone.

Mr Baron

First Post
Ptolus

Ptolus. Simply the best!

But, after reading through this thread, I may have to check out a couple of the other ones.

Bard's Gate is one that I would like to take a look at. A couple folks have brought up Yggsburgh, and that is good. I am waiting for the Trolls to release the next books in the series.

ghul

Explorer
Yggsburgh

Mr Baron said:
<snip> A couple folks have brought up Yggsburgh, and that is good. I am waiting for the Trolls to release the next books in the series.

Castle Zagyg Volume I, Yggsburgh comprises several locations in the Town of Yggsburgh, which has a population of 22,000. Also detailed in this volume are portions of the suburbs and portions of the local environs, inluding several villages, thorpes, and strongholds.

As Gary has mentioned in his Q&A, the town is being fleshed out in fine detail by about a dozen writers all working under his leadership and guidance. There will be 19 town modules and 5 suburbs modules, each about 64-pages. I believe several of these are in production right now.

--Ghul

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Jeff,

You rock.

And please people do check out Bard's Gate. It might not be what you're expecting but it is very useful. At least in my mind, it is...

Remove ads