City Supplement - Your favorite?

Turjan

Explorer
bowbe said:
At the risk of being overwhelmed by emailings or de-railing the thread any...

For the folks who have Bards Gate there is info on the necro mssg boards on how to contact me and get even more supplemental materials if you have the product ID. Go check the threads under BG and you can find the info on how to get the additional product support.
Hey, thanks for the heads up! I completely missed that. I'll have to start the email avalanche immediately :D.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Treebore said:
it really depends on what you want. Do you want most everything done for you? Then Bard's Gate or CSIO (and it is more evil than good). Do you want a modest amount of stuff done for you but plenty of room to add your own touches? Then just about everything everyone else has mentioned. CSIO and BG aren't completely done either, just enough that you'll probably not feel much need/motivation to add your own stuff.

While I like Bard's Gate a lot, it's nowhere near CSIO in terms of completeness. In fact, I would say Bard's Gate is sorta on the sparse side. (Could have used some more editing, too)

Frost

First Post
Thanks, one and all.

In case you're curious, I've opted for Bard's Gate, as it seems to be the best fit for my campaign.

Thanks again. :)

Dragonfriend

First Post
For me the old 2nd edition City of Delights: the boxed set for Al Qadim big city Huzuz. I've seen no city like that. One million of people, romance, intrigue, magic, infinite adventure possibilities. Shining maps!

Lockridge

First Post
In my opinion, Ptolus is by far the best. Many haven't tried it because of the price but boy, do you ever get a lot for your money. Furthermore everything is so well connected with cross-referencing that I find it very easy to use. You can almost just drop the players into the city and start a whole campaign by asking "what do you want to do..."

I also own City State of the Invicible Overlord and Freeport which are also good products.

woodelf

First Post
Frost said:
Thanks all for the input!

I have a follow up question of sorts. I started this thread because I am looking for a good home-base city for the group I'm DMing. The rest of the time, they'll be battling the horrors of Rappan Athuk. As such, I don't think much adventuring will be happening in the city, but I would like a supplement that is easily adaptable and provides plenty of resources (i.e., NPCs, locations, etc.) to assist me when the PCs go looking for supplies, assistance, etc. The less work I have to do in this area, the better.

I had planned on using Freeport, but it doesn't have as much detail as I would like (not many locations, few plug and play NPCs, etc.). I have sort of been debating between Bard's Gate and City State of the Invincible Overlord. What would you choose if you were in my shoes? Bard's Gate, CSIO, stick with Freeport, of another?

When i've been in your shoes, i've grabbed the CityBooks, from Flying Buffalo. Rather than a whole city, you've got lots of individual locales and personalities, and you can use whichever ones you need. And, with a selection of CityBooks (3 or more), you'll probably have every base covered, and better than pretty much any other option. And tons of NPCs. Plus, they work even better the more of them you use. While all the locations can stand on their own, many of them also have ties with others in the book. Also, i've found the NPCs themselves to be some of the best-written ones i've seen in fantasy RPG material--different and unique, with enough detail for a lot of play, but summarized well so they're easy to play.

The other one i've really enjoyed, and haven't seen mentioned in this thread, is Marchion, from Splintered Peace. It's small enough to get a good grasp on, has everything adventurers need as a home base, and is designed to be just such (a homebase sort of out on the frontier). And, because of the scenario side of it, the NPCs are really well detaailed, as well as the various places. You could play with that for ages without ever dealing with the civil-war scenario. And, as an added bonus, should you feel like it, you could use the rising tensions and possibly civil war in Marchion alongside or after Rappun Athuk, for a change of pace.

Remove ads