• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

City Supplement - Your favorite?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Patrick O'Duffy said:
Without saying too much, I don't believe you'll be disappointed with the Pirate's Guide to Freeport.
Glad to hear it!

(I think a certain sense of humour is important for Freeport, but it's a question of the degree and kind of humour involved.)
I couldn't agree more. The sort of black humor in the Princess Bride novel would fit in well -- swashbuckling as you whistle past the graveyard and such. Even the PotC humor would be fine, and is probably as close as we'll get to a Freeport movie franchise.

GrumpyOldMan

First Post
Devyn said:
My top 3 favorites are ...

3- Cities of Harn

Unless you're extremely lucky, you'll only get the original Cities of Hârn on ebay (and then probably at a premium price), but two of the five, Golotha and Tashal are available (in a new and much expanded form) individually from Columbia Games. Tashal is the finest 'almost medieval' city I've seen.

Khairn

First Post
GrumpyOldMan said:
Unless you're extremely lucky, you'll only get the original Cities of Hârn on ebay (and then probably at a premium price), but two of the five, Golotha and Tashal are available (in a new and much expanded form) individually from Columbia Games. Tashal is the finest 'almost medieval' city I've seen.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones then. And I agree with you on Tashal ... simply outstanding!

Frost

First Post
Thanks all for the input!

I have a follow up question of sorts. I started this thread because I am looking for a good home-base city for the group I'm DMing. The rest of the time, they'll be battling the horrors of Rappan Athuk. As such, I don't think much adventuring will be happening in the city, but I would like a supplement that is easily adaptable and provides plenty of resources (i.e., NPCs, locations, etc.) to assist me when the PCs go looking for supplies, assistance, etc. The less work I have to do in this area, the better.

I had planned on using Freeport, but it doesn't have as much detail as I would like (not many locations, few plug and play NPCs, etc.). I have sort of been debating between Bard's Gate and City State of the Invincible Overlord. What would you choose if you were in my shoes? Bard's Gate, CSIO, stick with Freeport, of another?

Treebore

First Post
Warbringer said:
Old 2nd Ed, Lankmar.

Nothing I've seen in 3e comes clsoe (maybe Sancturay)

I disagree. I think CSIO and Bard's Gate have much better detail. The only way Lankmar gets better is if your intimately familiar with the novels and add that material as locations.

Turjan

Explorer
Frost said:
I had planned on using Freeport, but it doesn't have as much detail as I would like (not many locations, few plug and play NPCs, etc.). I have sort of been debating between Bard's Gate and City State of the Invincible Overlord. What would you choose if you were in my shoes? Bard's Gate, CSIO, stick with Freeport, of another?
The CSIO NPCs are generally a bit higher level than in many other city supplements. The whole city has a somewhat pulpy feel. The government is evil, justice doesn't really derserve that label and slavery is commonplace. I like the city very much, but it might not quite be what you want.

Bard's Gate is well developed with lots of NPCs, shops and everything you need for a home base. The NPCs are generally low level. It has much more the feeling of a "generic fantasy city" than CSIO. I agree with Buttercup that this city looks like the right choice. Don't forget to download the free additional material on the Necromancer website :).

Btw, Rappan Athuk is on the map of the surroundings of Bard's Gate ;).

Patrick O'Duffy

First Post
Frost said:
I had planned on using Freeport, but it doesn't have as much detail as I would like (not many locations, few plug and play NPCs, etc.).

For the record, the Pirate's Guide to Freeport will have a lot more of both locations and NPCs (albeit non-statted-up NPCs, given that it's a stat-free book).

Not that this helps you now. But if you have money burning a hole in your pocket at the end of the year...

Remove ads