• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clarification: point blank shot and thrown weapons

willpax

First Post
I have a character concept built around the idea of a dagger bandolier and lots of quick bits of flying metal. I selected quickdraw (natch) and point blank shot, and then began wondering.

The description of point blank shot says that you become "skilled at making well placed shots with ranged weapons at close range," then specifies 30 ft. as the "close range."

Daggers have a range increment of 10 ft.

Am I right in assuming that I would get the +1 for PBS out to 30', but suffer range penalties before then (-1 per extra 10')? Or should the cocnept of close range be shortened?

I've looked at the WOTC clarifications and errata, but this isn't mentioned.

For what it's worth, I'm the DM and this is an NPC, so, in the absence of clear rules, I'll go with plan A and not apologize. I just wanted to see if this issue had already been discussed somewhere else and settled in one way or another.

Staffan

Legend
willpax said:
Am I right in assuming that I would get the +1 for PBS out to 30', but suffer range penalties before then (-1 per extra 10')? Or should the cocnept of close range be shortened?
By the rules as written, you're absolutely right. One might consider a house rule limiting PBS (and other "precision-based" stuff, like the extra damage from specialization and sneak attacks) to 30 ft or one range increment, whichever is shorter.

willpax said:

I'd thought of doing something along these very lines, perhaps with the Throw Anything feat from Sword and Fist, combined with Shortswords or some-such :p

Too tired to actually go digging through my rules, but your interpretation seems to be right on the money. The character should be (without stat or BAB bonuses) facing a +1/0/-1 range modifier to-hit.

[Edit] PS: Don't forget your Rapid Shot feat so you can do multiple attacks per round, especialy since you're already such a fast draw...

Hatchling Dragon

Last edited:

DrSpunj

Explorer
Re: Re: Clarification: point blank shot and thrown weapons

Hatchling Dragon said:
The character should be (without stat or BAB bonuses) facing a +1/0/-1 range modifier to-hit.

I'm not sure I follow this. Since each range increment adds a cumulative -2 penalty beyond the first I would expect the numbers for 10'/20'/30' with PBS to be +1/-1/-3. Am I missing something?

(If it's a halfling I know with their +1 to thrown weapons it would become +2//0/-2, but I still don't see what Hatchling Dragon came up with.)

Thanks.

DrSpunj

willpax

First Post
DrSpunj is correct: the range increment penalty is -2 per increment--I had typed it wrong in my original post. So the attack bonus (with no BAB) would be +1/-1/-3/-6 (no PBS)/-8 at 50 ft., which is the maximum range for a thrown weapon.

Hatchling Dragon: rapid shot is also key, correct. I also threw in shot on the run for greater mobility, and lots of ranks in tumble and jump.

I'm not sure this would be the most effective combatant from a min/max point of view, but she'll definitely have style.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Zhure

First Post
Far Shot changes the equation, too.

With PBS and Far Shot, the to-hit remains the same (+1/-1/-3/...-9) but the range bands are 20 feet each. With javelins and Far Shot, one becomes almost as lethal at long ranges as a short bow.

Greg

AGGEMAM

First Post
Zhure said:
Far Shot changes the equation, too.

With PBS and Far Shot, the to-hit remains the same (+1/-1/-3/...-9) but the range bands are 20 feet each.

You mean 15 feet, right ?

Far shot gives you one-and-a-half times the range increment.

Remove ads