• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Class and Background combos

Sacrosanct

Legend
I wouldn't call it strange; maybe a bit odd (since I think most monks would probably by acoyltes or soldiers), but I have a monk who is a street urchin.

As a child of the 80s, I'm modeling him after Snake Eyes' backstory ;)

casterblaster

First Post
So far I have just been stocking some pre-rolled characters, so I have the cliché bard/entertainer, barbarian/outlander, and a fighter/solider. I plan to mix it up some though.

Snapdragyn

Explorer
Paladin (Vengeance) with Urchin background. He's out to find (& slaughter) the people who killed his parents.

This one doesn't feel too odd to me at all, but Warlock with Sage background. He was flunking out of the Academy, found a forgotten tome in the library one night that seemed to detail a shortcut to the magical talent he lacked (lowish Int, certainly for someone trying to make it in wizarding school), & attempted the ritual. Wound up bound to Something Not Very Nice - oopsie! - but now he's hooked on the power it gives him.

Also a dwarven sorc w/ Acolyte background. Dutifully following in the family footsteps to be a cleric, but his magic came out differently. That was when he learned about the big family secret - red dragon way back in the lineage, oh the shame!

rkwoodard

First Post
Bard

As a DM this will have to be an NPC, but a Bard (College of Valor) with Acolyte Background. I envison a small organization of them with a strong Angelic theme.

RK

One of my players is a cleric/charlatan. We worked out a story where he was a swindler, essentially peddling Pelor flavored snake oil, when the gods showed some cruel irony and granted him the ability to perform miracles. Nothing has gone his way since.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads