• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Class Compendium Feats and Weaponmaster is out!

RLBURNSIDE

First Post
Axe expertise

is great for dual-wielding Waraxe builds. Master of Arms is also really fun for making versatile characters. I just could never swallow the "feat tax" to be able to Quickdraw between my main and ranged weapons, this eliminates that problem to some extent.

Obryn

Hero
Axe Expertise is a funny one. Unless you're using waraxes, odds are you're going to be using a Brutal axe of some sort. In those cases, you're way better off with Master of Arms.

-O

kaomera

Explorer
Axe Expertise is a funny one. Unless you're using waraxes, odds are you're going to be using a Brutal axe of some sort. In those cases, you're way better off with Master of Arms.
Master at Arms can be more useful if you're going to be swapping weapons, if you aren't then it isn't better. And Axe Expertise will allow you to re-roll dice that fall outside of [W] (critical bonus dice and some striker features, frex.); that's corner-case, but it can be useful.

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Axepertise can be a solid choice for a Doubleaxe-wielding Scout as well, or anyone wielding a battleaxe that wants a better hit bonus and doesn't care as much for the extra damage gained from a waraxe, or anyone that uses melee axes in combination with thrown ones. Halberd builds might also appreciate it, since there is not yet a Polearms Expertise feat either.

While I agree that it can be sub-optimal for brutal axes, there are still lots of reasons to take it. Even one of the most damaging brutal axes, the Gouge, can instead benefit from Spear Expertise instead.

Plus, as @kaomera points out, Axpertise also allows you to reroll other damage dice as part of the attack.

Klaus

First Post

-O
Not everyone spends the feat for a superior weapon. You could be wielding a kopesh, or dual-wielding battleaxe and handaxe (if you're a Tempest, you could be using two handaxes).

Actually this feat is sort of a remedy from the need to take expertise and an exotic axe. All military axes gain a quite good upgrade which makes them halfway brutal!

Walking Dad

First Post
Just to get you "caught up," Staff Expertise says, In a word, this is an amazing benefit. Well worth a feat all by itself. +1 to hit per tier on weapon AND implement attacks makes it even better.
Not sure I would take it without the to hit bonus.
Their are rare cases a character would benefit from both the reach and the OA protection.
For reach weapons there are better things out there than a staff (may be worthwhile for dual wielding) and close attacks don't draw OAs anyway (or shifting one sq away).
In Living Eberron in this forum you get the hit bonus for free and so I will probably skip the staff expertise feat.

... Grabbing the level 1 pyromancy feature is good enough, as it gets you the ignore all fire resist. ...
The level 1 feature is less impressive after the Flaming weapon nerf.

Last edited:

Remove ads