Class Compendium: Heroes of Legend

fba827

Adventurer
the word 'compendium' makes me think it's also a reprint of previous.
either all the heroes of forgotten lands + heroes of forgotten kingdoms classes.
or some PHB classes/builds given in 'essentials' formatting

of course, this is all speculation at this point.

Camelot

Adventurer
I think it will be a reprinting of the PHB1 classes with their errata. It will likely contain updated feats as well. I bet that after "Heroes of Legend" will come "Heroes of the Wilderness" or something, detailing the PHB2 classes, and then "Heroes of Mystery" with PHB3 classes (I just made up those names, they're not real!).

Korgoth

First Post
My uninformed guess is that it will contain expansions for existing Essentials builds, and maybe an Essential-ized version of an existing legacy class.

For example, the Red Box has "transmutation" spells for the Mage, like this totally rad daily that turns the target into a toad. It is the best spell I've ever seen for D&D, but it didn't make it into Heroes of the F.

Along those lines, we may see a new Warlock pact, some new Cleric domains (only have Sun and Storm so far), etc.

I wouldn't be surprised to see an Essential-ized Warlord, and maybe some of the other races not yet in 4EE like Goliaths.

Mirtek

Hero
I've been expecting this since Essentials was announced.
The death of that model is well overdue IMO.
However I don't think that will work out. PHB/MM/DMG are always the top-sellers in every edition. They tried to reap this level of sales mutliple times by just releasing a PHBx/MMx/DMGx each year and hoping people would buy them like core books instead of buying them like splat books.

That we now see essentials shows that this failed. People recognized them as and bought them like splatbooks rather than core books despite what WotC wrote on the cover.

Same will happen with essentials approach and we'll see an Advanced 4e or 4e Extended or whatever else they'll come up with to generate sales on a core book level at least once as soon the sales level declines enough to have Hasbro's beancounters having a few words with them

Zaran

Adventurer
If this is indeed a reprinting incorporating errata into book form I think that's great. I also hope some of the issues that core classes have would be dealt with as well.

And only 4 months away! Cool.

tuxgeo

Adventurer
Perhaps to be followed in another four months by:

"Classy Expendium: Heroes of Shopping" -- containing lists of intriguing items that PCs might actually buy with their extra gold now that they no longer have the ability to buy Uncommon magic items.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Something like this was mentioned sometime back in the context of a cover painting that was not used...oh well.

Either this listing is wrong, or this is really coming out of the blue.

The temptation to join the chorus and say this the errated PHB we may have been waiting for is almost overwhelming...so I will just give in and do so.

But no "I told you so's" (or zuccinis) until we learn more. Promise.

fba827

Adventurer
The temptation to join the chorus and say this the errated PHB we may have been waiting for is almost overwhelming...so I will just give in and do so.

Na - until we learn more, there is nothing wrong with simply saying "it's a mystery product with no details confirmed" :)

Plus, the fact that it is lacking on the WotC product listing makes it even more mysterious as either an error on Amazon's part, or something out of the blue from WotC.

ggroy

First Post

If this "Heroes of Legend" book turns out to be an errated PHB people have been waiting for, one could speculate that WotC's warehouse stock of 4E PHB1 books is low or almost sold out at this time (or soon).

From a more cynical viewpoint, one could also speculate the end of Hasbro's fiscal year (ie. end of December) is approaching, and WotC could be remaindering or pulping remaining copies of PHB1 for a tax write off of some sort.

Remove ads