Class Compendium: Heroes of Legend

Reaper Steve

Explorer
However I don't think that will work out. PHB/MM/DMG are always the top-sellers in every edition.

True, but that's because those 3 books are the game.

My point is that it's past time for the info to be reorganized in its presentation. In 1E, the Player's Handbook didn't actually have the rules of the game... that was found in the DMG. But over time and editions, theywisely moved the rules to the PHB. In 4E you can play D&D with just the PHB and MM. But that means that the DMG was struggling to maintain relevance and necessity.

I think WotC finally saw that and figured out how to make the break. The rules of the game stand alone, regardless of classes, hence the RC. The newly released (at premium stores) DM's Kit is not necessary, but WotC has embraced the fact that it's not necessary, which resulted in a product and book that is much more GUIDE than any previous DMG. And I mean Guide in a good way... by focusing on guiding DMs without having to contain the core rules, the product can really improve a DMs skills.

Will we continue to see player books, DM books, and Monster books? Absolutely. But now that the core is self contained in the RC, I think the purpose of the DMG has changed, or rather, it can finally do what it was intended to do.

Mirtek

Hero
My point is that it's past time for the info to be reorganized in its presentation.
WotC will glady agree with you, but they already failed once to pull it off. And I actually doubt that this is even possible.

As soon as you have the first books that make the game playable, anything thereafter will be treated as splatbook, no matter whether you write PHB X or Compendium Y on the cover.

I think WotC finally saw that and figured out how to make the break. The rules of the game stand alone, regardless of classes, hence the RC.
Which will make it the top-seller along with the first players book and the first monsters book. The second and third player/monster books will already have a much harder time to reach their predecessors sales levels.

it can finally do what it was intended to do.
What it "should be intended to do", aka be a guide for DMs, or what "WotC intends it to do", aka generate sales numbers only reached by core rules every time the re-release it=

Scribble

First Post
Isn't HoL that book that has like how to be a blacksmith and stuff in it? They announced this at Gencon

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Prestidigitalis

First Post
Actually, it's good news. We are finally getting some support for Beholders as PCs. The odd title comes from the fact that WotC has taken the extra step of creating a Beholder-ish language, in which the phrase "Class Compendium: Heroes of Legend" translates to "Radially symmetrical lifeforms rule!"

M.L. Martin

Adventurer
Isn't HoL that book that has like how to be a blacksmith and stuff in it? They announced this at Gencon

The title given for that book was Player's Handbook: Champions of the Heroic Tier. It's possible that this is that same book retitled--or the mentioned but not detailed Hero Builder's Guidebook--but it could also be something new.

Other news from Amazon: The Shadowfell boxed set is set for May, Monster Vault: Threats to the Nentir Vale for June (along with a new DT set, The Witchlight Fens).

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ok, I remember...

We have two rumored products:

Advanced Player's Handbook.

Class Compendium Heroes of Legend

And two anounced products:

Player's Handbook: Champions of the Heroic Tier

Hero Builder's Handbook

Plus, the super-rumored semi-announced at some some point

Errated PHB I

I would think there might be some overlap...

xechnao

First Post
From Amazon:

Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell
provides new character options for Dungeons & Dragons® Essentials players who are ready to move beyond the two player-oriented D&D™ Essentials books, Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.

This book gathers five classes from the Player’s Handbook—the cleric, the fighter, the rogue, the warlord, and the wizard—and presents them in the new D&D Essentials class format introduced in Heroes of the Fallen Lands, with rules updates and errata. It features rules that allow D&D Essentials characters to select non-D&D Essentials powers, and it grants non-D&D Essentials characters access to class features from Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms. In addition, this book presents feats, rituals, and rules for multiclassing. ([ame=http://www.amazon.com/Class-Compendium-Dungeons-Dragons-Accessory/dp/0786958588/]Amazon.com: Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell: A 4th edition Dungeons & Dragons Accessory (4th Edition D&D) (9780786958580): Wizards RPG Team: Books[/ame])

ggroy

First Post
Updated product description for this book from amazon.

Class Compendium: Heroes of Sword and Spell provides new character options for Dungeons & Dragons® Essentials players who are ready to move beyond the two player-oriented D&D™ Essentials books, Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms.

This book gathers five classes from the Player’s Handbook—the cleric, the fighter, the rogue, the warlord, and the wizard—and presents them in the new D&D Essentials class format introduced in Heroes of the Fallen Lands, with rules updates and errata. It features rules that allow D&D Essentials characters to select non-D&D Essentials powers, and it grants non-D&D Essentials characters access to class features from Heroes of the Fallen Lands and Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms. In addition, this book presents feats, rituals, and rules for multiclassing.

Remove ads