Class Compendium: Heroes of Legend

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, this is intersting, but why those five classes? Cleric is in both Hereos books already, and now in the next book also? That seems a bit much to me.

I am feeling like it is time to stop buying new 4E stuff, really I am. I must admit psionics in PHBIII are looking better, though.

AngryMojo

First Post
Well, this is intersting, but why those five classes? Cleric is in both Hereos books already, and now in the next book also? That seems a bit much to me.
I think it's supposed to be a logical stepping stone from HoLF. The same four classes, presented in their more complex forms, with a new class thrown in for measure. I wouldn't be surprised if a month or two after that we see another with the Druid, Paladin, Ranger and Warlock classes, maybe with Barbarian thrown in for good measure.

JoeGKushner

First Post
The real question is, is it now 4.5?

I really can't see Wizards doing a reprint of the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual or DMG no matter what they say at this point.

AngryMojo

First Post
Considering even with all the updates and errata, there still aren't any major changes to the game, I'd say no.

If the classes they're printing here were essentialized, I'd question it, but this really does seem like just another step for new players. Considering that WotC has directly stated they were going to alternate years between attracting new players and advancing the game for existing players, I wouldn't be surprised if there's more paperbacks like this in the pipe.

Korgoth

First Post

I really can't see Wizards doing a reprint of the Player's Handbook, Monster Manual or DMG no matter what they say at this point.

I think we have to say that it's 4.4999999999. Some people will never say it's 4.5 because Scott Rouse said that there would not be one, therefore even if a book came out called "4.5", they would say it doesn't count as 4.5. Some will never say so because you can technically play the state-of-the-art game without buying new books, as long as you download and print the dozens of pages of errata. Some will never say so because 3.5 meant something to them, positive or negative, that 4.4999999999 does not.

I think of it as 4.5 because basically the rules have been re-done and the classes and the design philosophy have all been updated. In 3.0 to 3.5 there were some serious differences but only serious enough for a rules wonk to notice. To me they're practically the same game. OK, so "Keen" and "Improved Critical" no longer stack... that's basically just an erratum to de-brokenify a stupid combo (vorpal scimitar, anyone?). Pretty much, to me anyway, 3.x is 3.x. It's not all identical (thus the ".x"), but it's all the same enough that I don't really like any of it.

But to some folks, "4.5" seems to take on this vast, dreadful meaning that I don't grok. Like something fundamental in the cosmos would have shifted into the darkness but it hasn't therefore it's not 4.5. Whatever... I don't care about it that much. I won't insist on calling it 4.5 just because it seems to make some people mad and there doesn't appear to be any reason to do that.

But step back for a moment. It's all new books that replace the old books. No, you don't have to buy the new ones... you've never had to. But it's all new books that replace the old ones. The new books do some things a little bit differently. It's not a new edition, but it is clearly a revision. Hence ".5". Seems simple to me.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I think there's a big difference between "going in a different design direction for the moment" and "rebuilding the whole thing from the ground up." The former is Essentials, the latter is this mythical "4.5"

My thoughts? The day we wake up and find a redesigned skill system (more skills and/or skill points) is the day we will finally be looking 4.5 in the face. Anything less than this will produce pure hyperbole, nothing more.

I, for one, am excited to see the Warlord get some essentials love.

Dalamar

Adventurer
I hope they take the time to reasses all the old options they're putting in (looking at you, Brute Strike-that-is-just-plain-worse-than-Lasting Threat).

I also expect that the Fighter Weapon Talent will become the generic version that the Knight and the Slayer have instead of having to choose between one-handed and two-handed weapons.

Camelot

Adventurer
It's not 4.5 until they make it incompatible with all the early material. Essentials and Core can be used side by side, unlike 3.5 vs. 3.0, so it's still 4th edition.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
I think there's a big difference between "going in a different design direction for the moment" and "rebuilding the whole thing from the ground up." The former is Essentials, the latter is this mythical "4.5"

My thoughts? The day we wake up and find a redesigned skill system (more skills and/or skill points) is the day we will finally be looking 4.5 in the face. Anything less than this will produce pure hyperbole, nothing more.

It's not 4.5 until they make it incompatible with all the early material. Essentials and Core can be used side by side, unlike 3.5 vs. 3.0, so it's still 4th edition.

Were does this criteria come from? Have you seen the different "editions" of other RPGs? They do an edit, change some art, and add a new skill and its a new edition.

People mixed and matched material from OD&D, B/X D&D, and AD&D (1st and 2nd) all the time. You could easily use 3.0 with 3.5 material (even if some thought otherwise).

If you want to play 08 D&D you can. No one is stopping you. But if you want to stay current with the "core" rules, you need to have these new print products and or access to the DDI.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter

If they made it incompatible with all the early material like in your example..."I" would call it 5E.

Last edited:

Remove ads