• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Classes and the Thievery Skill

mysticknight232

First Post
What classes have access to the Thievery skill at lvl 1? I know the Rogue, Assassin and Runepriest have access to it. Am I missing any? I also know that Sneak of Shadows feat grants it and certain backgrounds. Sneak of Shadows is nice, but I don't like having to wield a Light Blade to gain the sneak attack bonus dmg. Also, I'm aware of certain backgrounds that grant it as a class skill. I'm trying to avoid backgrounds for the moment.

Essentially, I'm looking to add a striker to a party and wish him to have Thievery...without playing a Rogue or Assassin. So I'm just looking for alternative ways to gain the Thievery skillset.

Thanks and happy hunting!

Mengu

First Post
Artificer, Runepriest, Warlock, Rogue, Monk, Assassin

Poisoner MC can give you thievery

Dungeon Experience can let you use Dungeoneering in place of thievery for traps and locks.

Power of Trickery or Power of Change combined with Halfling, a background that gives you +2 to Thievery, some thieve's tools, and maybe Burglar's Gloves could net you a decent Thievery skill without any training.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
Artificer
Runepriest
Warlock
Rogue
Assassin
Monk

Hybrid versions thereof. Anyone who takes Skill Training (Thievery). Multiclass Rogue or Poisoner.

The Dungeon Experience feat would let you substitute Dungeoneering for Thievery for many checks.

Mr. Teapot

First Post
Mengu and I both apparently trolled the Compendium and came up with nearly identical posts. (I though about mentioning the various ways of boosting thievery without being Trained, but decided that was a separate matter altogether.)

mysticknight232

First Post
Thanks for all the replys!

I seem to remember reading something about a lock picking chalk at one time? Arcane Chalk or something. Am I just imagining that or is that an alchemical item that could do the same thing?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads