• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Classic" Dragon Articles

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Olive said:
I know what jaded means. You misunderstood. I don't mean jaded about the old magazines, I mean jaded (in the worn out sense) of new gaming material.

You get it all the time here. Old gamers going on about how everythign used to be fresh and new. Well, duh. Of course when you were new to gaming, things were fresh and new to you.

Maybe, but I guess I'm an "old gamer," and I still get a kick out of new material. I'm not saying my experiences are the norm, but I find this to be true of other gamers my age also.

Olive

Explorer
ColonelHardisson said:
Maybe, but I guess I'm an "old gamer," and I still get a kick out of new material. I'm not saying my experiences are the norm, but I find this to be true of other gamers my age also.

Hey, me too! But it does seem to me that there isn't as much of a difference between old Dragon and new Dragon as people claim.

lewpuls

Hero
Someday...

I, too, have thought about redoing that article, but my problem is the same one that caused me to quit writing for Dragon 20-some years ago: they insist on buying all rights, and that is just plain wrong.

Perhaps sometime I'll do it, having been encouraged by this comment. Right now I'm much more into designing new games

Lew Pulsipher
pulsiphergames.com
Britannia Second Edition, Sep '05

Henry said:
OH, GOOD GOD! I JUST REMEMBERED!

I haven't seen it mentioned yet, but from Dragon, somewhere in the #70 to #82 issues, the two "Be Aware, Take Care" articles by Lew Pulsipher. EVERY person that fancies themselves as playing an adventurer NEEDS to read the sneaky tactics and good advice that Pulsipher gives in these articles. I have never seen its like since, and have several times considered doing a 3E version of the advice therein for an ENWorld Player's Journal, or some such.

THESE TWO ARTICLES NEED TO BE REBORN.

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
lewpuls said:
I, too, have thought about redoing that article, but my problem is the same one that caused me to quit writing for Dragon 20-some years ago: they insist on buying all rights, and that is just plain wrong.

Perhaps sometime I'll do it, having been encouraged by this comment. Right now I'm much more into designing new games

one of the nice thing about the internet, especially having your own website, is that you can post your own articles (and if you've sold the right, post with permission) on the internet to share. :)

The Shaman

First Post
The articles that I remember most fondly had nothing to do with D&D - background for Divine Right, modules for Top Secret, the Awful Green Things from Outer Space game, the tesseract for Traveller, a couple of Boot Hill pieces.

D&D stuff? Meh, for the most part.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The Shaman said:
The articles that I remember most fondly had nothing to do with D&D - background for Divine Right, modules for Top Secret, the Awful Green Things from Outer Space game, the tesseract for Traveller, a couple of Boot Hill pieces.

D&D stuff? Meh, for the most part.

I think you bring up a great point. Early on, I was impressed with the sheer variety of articles Dragon published, covering a lot of different games. I think I was most fascinated by the Traveller articles, as they still stand out in my memory. Those non-D&D articles gave support for games that I didn't see much support for at the time. For instance, it was years after I saw Traveller articles in Dragon before I saw a copy of the Journal of the Traveller's Aid Society.

Infernal Teddy

Explorer
The Politics and organization articles from #196
Most of #200
The Reviews, but especially those by Rick Swan and Lester Smith (Issue 195 still gets reread)
I loved forum. The internet still hasn't reached that level of "wow"
Then there was that article in... 208 i think, on how to set up a campaign FOR the players, written by some geek called Erik Mona...;)

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads