• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Classic" Dragon Articles

The Shaman

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
Early on, I was impressed with the sheer variety of articles Dragon published, covering a lot of different games....Those non-D&D articles gave support for games that I didn't see much support for at the time.
I also found inspiration in articles that had nothing to do with what I was playing at the time - a couple of Empire of the Petal Throne pieces, a good article on demi-human miniature armies, some Gamma World stuff.

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
The Shaman said:
I also found inspiration in articles that had nothing to do with what I was playing at the time - a couple of Empire of the Petal Throne pieces, a good article on demi-human miniature armies, some Gamma World stuff.

Minarian Legends is also a great example of this type of article.

orangemike

First Post
Omand said:
- There was also an article, who's title I have forgetten, that gave the folk properties of gemstones, and general values of the gemstones as well. It was a great flavour article in that you could then use gems for reasons other than wealth in the game with some built in "known" properties. Things like rubies attracting lightning, moonstones causing/influencing lycanthropy, etc.

Thanx. I wrote that, and enjoyed it a great deal. "Many Facets of Gems"; issue #83.

--
Michael J. Lowrey

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
The Princess Ark series

All the various NPC classes of the old days, like the witch, jester and the plethora of paladins! (this last one from the early 100's 108? 109? 113? I forget)

Also, my personal favorite feature that was discontinued later was "the Role of Books" - which I found useful not only as a source for fantasy/sci-fi books to look for, but the reviews were often presented in such a way to provide nuggets of ideas to use in your own campaigns without ever having to read the book itself. . . Great resource.

Oh, and Wormy comes up every single time we wax nostalgic about Dragon. . .

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads