• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Cleansing Flame of Kossuth, new Cleric Domain

Cleric Domain of Kossuth, The Cleansing Flame

Cleric's of Kossuth believe that they are here to cleanse the world. To cleanse the world of corruption and blight may mean to burn down a forest so that new life may spring forth or bring a great city to ash so that nature may start a new. Kossuth as an elemmental diety cares little for what his clerics do as long as they bring flame to the world in his name.

Flame kissed steel; You may wear any armor that is touched by flame (ie ..forged in fire).

Domain spells
0 level) produce flame, shillelagh
ist level) burning hands, feirie fire
2nd level) flame blade, flaming sphere
3rd level) fireball, protection from fire
4th level) fire shield, wall of fire
5th level), flame strike, conjure elemental (fire only)

Channel Divinity: Heat metal
Starting at 2nd level as an action choose a manufactured metal object, such as a metal weapon or a suit of heavy or medium metal armor, that you can see. You cause the object to glow red-hot. Any creature in physical contact with the object takes 2d8 fire damage when you cast the spell. Until the spell ends (1 minute concentration), you can use a bonus action on each of your subsequent turns to cause this damage again.
If a creature is holding or wearing the object and takes damage from it, the creature must succeed on a Constitution saving throw or drop the object if it can. If it doesn't drop the object, it has disadvantage on attack rolls or ability checks until the start of your next turn.
The damage increases by 1d8 for every two cleric levels 2nd.

Skin of Kossuth; At 6th level you gain resistance to fire. As a reaction you can share this resistance for one round to allies up to your maximum wisdom modifier. Sharing of your resistance in this way lasts until your next turn. This is useable once per short rest.

Kossuth's Mercy; At level 8 you may add your wisdom modifier to the damage of any spell of the "fire" type.

Avatar of Flame; At level 17 you may manifest certain aspects of a fire elemental once a day. This power may be activated once per long rest and last no longer than 1 minute. You can move through a space as narrow as 1 inch wide without squeezing. A creature that touches the Avatar or hits it with a melee Attack while within 5 ft. of it takes 2d10 fire damage. In addition, the Avatar can enter a hostile creature's space and stop there. The first time it enters a creature's space on a turn, that creature takes 2d10 fire damage and catches fire; until someone takes an action to douse the fire, the creature takes 1d10 fire damage at the start of each of its turns. If the Avatar wishes they may make two bare handed touch attacks causing an additional 2d10+ wisdom modifier in fire damage. You are also immune to fire while this effect is going.
Illumination: The Avatar sheds bright light in a 30-foot radius and dim light in an additional 30 ft.
Water Susceptibility: For every 5 ft. the Avatar moves in water, or for every gallon of water splashed on it, it takes 1 cold damage.

Last edited:

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Hi --
You don't say anything but I presume you are looking for comments and critique.

You have a good idea, but the result is more powerful (does more damage) than other domains. Almost everything needs to be dialled back, I feel.

The cleric domains are all fairly consistent with each other. One of the things with this proposal is that you're not following the pattern, by giving the damage bonus that is usually reserved to level 8 in level 1 (potent flame). Technically, there are no flame cantrips for cleric (Sacred flame does radiant damage), but a high elf or a human with magic initiate (taking fire bolt (wiz) or produce flame (druid)) will be ahead of any other cleric for damage for seven levels. It's just too easy to exploit.

In addition, they get heavy armour; I believe it's just too much to give both a defensive and and offensive bonus at level 1.

Skin of Kossuth is almost on par with a Paladin aura (the defining ability of that class)

divine Strike (at level 8) -- again, other instances use 1d8 -- why is this 1d10, except to be more powerful? And, when you get it, it's instead of adding your ability to spells.

I would suggest you follow the PHB domains more closely.

hope this helps.

Thanks, I appreciate your comments.

For Divine strike I added the D10 rather than D8 because fire seems to be the one that most creatures have resistance to but I really it wouldnt make much of a difference one way or the other.

I make a couple of tweaks and see what you think.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
It looks a lot better. Again, follow the model of domains in the pub to be clear that domain spells come at 1, 3, 5, 7, and 9 (not 12345). Since soother domain has cantrips, I would remove the here too, though I think if you wanted to, you could add a cantrip with the heavy armour. I'd suggest Fire Bolt rather than Produce Flame, so the cleric can make a to-hit role. That, to me, would make this domain desirable.

Have fun!

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
Seems like this is a caster domain so I, personally would grant a cantrip at 1st level instead of heavy armour. You might want to specify a cantrip (I'd probably choose produce flame) or allow the choice of any cantrip dealing with fire. This will fit well with the level 8 spell boost. The level 8 spell boost is different than normal since it applies to all fire spells instead of cleric cantrips but I think that should be fine (dragon sorcerers get something similar). You might want to specify that it only applies to spells on the cleric of Kossuth's spell list in case someone multiclasses to pick up fire spells via wizard or sorcerer.

With your changes it is looking like a pretty solid cleric domain.

Remove ads