• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleave - Automatic hits on 2nd target?

Ninja-to

First Post
Take this to extremes. You're level 30.

You have maxed out strength to it's extreme. That's 30 strength for the people at home. (+10 str mod) You've got +6 from weapon focus, +2 from some other feat, +6 from its enhancement, and what the hell, let's say the DM gave you a bonus +10 damage because of some quest you did and he really likes you and your mom makes tasty cookies that he enjoys.

That's +34 damage bonus, on top of the 4d6 damage you do from the cleave power.

And you're up against a red dragon, and he hates you. He hates you so hard he brought in some minions, LOTS of minions. A bag of rats amount of the little rotters.

Now, you're up against this thing with over a thousand hit points... and about 16 rotter-bag-of-rats types.... and for some reason the dragon's AC is incredibly high. Some Deus-ex-mechina, perhaps. A McGuffin. It doesn't matter.

So you decide the best bet to damage this dragon is to attack minions and cleave into it with your mighty +6 weapon, with +20 damage from awesomeness, and +6 damage from coolness, and +2 damage from some feat I didn't even bother to remember the name of....

You hit a minion. You do... MASSIVE... damage. The minion has 1 hp, dies, no surprise there.

Then the cleave hits the dragon....

...for 10 damage. Out of approx 1.5 THOUSAND hit points, your game breaking plan does....

10 damage.

But my +6 to damage from my weapon?

Only applies to damage rolls.

And my +6 to damage from my feat?

Only applies to damage rolls.

And the +10 awesomeness bonus for the cookies?

Only to damage rolls.

And the +2 of feat-that-cannot-be-named?

Only to damage rolls.

So... altho you have all these damage buffs... because you're not rolling dice for damage, you're not bumping up your rolls with your bonuses, and if your bonuses aren't applying, this 'sick' 'exploitable' damage never actually happens.

Oh, and the dragon?

He eats you.

And burns you with fire.

And then eats a minion to be evil.

And burns you again.

Ok I'm almost convinced... ;)

DracoSuave

First Post
Ok I'm almost convinced... ;)

I'm just sayin'... Cleave isn't even broken when the enemy brings his own bag of rats FOR you.

And while we're on the subject of a bag of rats...

Rat swarms take half damage from melee attacks. Cleave is a melee attack so if you decide to use a bag of rats as a cleave-enabler at a level where it is a threat and is permissible, then you'll end up getting attacked by a thing that can attack you as a free action at the beginning of your own turn that you're not doing enough damage to to seriously threaten.

And if you decide instead to use a bag of rats to attack another bag of rats, the cleaved bag of rats gets to halve your cleave damage.

I'm just saying Bag of Rats + Cleave is not good for you.

EDIT: Druids better get a power called Bag o' Rats.

filthgrinder

First Post
Wow how much time was wasted on my example instead of the real problem that was posed?

Well, I think the "real" problem here is the need to break the paradigm of "hit points = physical health". I think it's important to remember that 4e uses hit point to express more than just physical health. It is health + morale + luck + destiny + boldness + any number of other factors. This is why anyone can dig down and use a second wind to come soaring back into battle. This is why a Warlord can shout out words of inspiration and courage and give hit points back to his allies.

Now, let's use that framework in this instance. You cleave right through an enemy with a thunderous blow. Thats scarey and chips away at anyone adjecant to witness your unstoppable fury. You smashed into your target and followed through into a monster right next to him. The secondary target feels the remaining power of the blow. Thats got to weaken morale a bit.

With a 30 Str, Cleave is going to do +10 damage. You've basically got the strength of a demigod, swinging through one creature and into you. If 10 points is enough to put you down, you are going down as it is.

More importantly, as mentioned, this is D&D, this is NOT an unattended video game world where a system has been set up and basically left to it's own devices. You, as a DM, are running the encounter, you don't have to follow some sort of dogmatic script. Don't have your big baddy stand right next to easy to hit minions. Just like if you are throwing a bag of minions at a party, try not to have them all group of in a way that a burst spell takes out half the baddies... unless that is what you want.

Regicide

Banned
Banned
By the way, just in case the infamous "bag of rats" comes up in this thread, that tactic is now banned by the DMG. A target is only valid for a power if it presents an actual threat.

Minions aren't valid threats. If players are expect to be able to hack their way through 6 groups of enemies in a day, the least of those enemies is not a valid threat. Certainly not the last couple of them in an encounter, outnumbered and ready to die en masse to a single flick of the wizard's finger, or if the dragonborn yawns in their direction.

Oh wait, applying common sense to rules. Bad me.

ST

First Post
"Valid threat", as used in the text, means that they can use up some of the party's resources, not that they're in danger of dying.

A level-appropriate minion can hit you, and do HP damage, so yes it can use up some of your resources. This is especially true since you're never going to fight a minion unless it's as part of an encounter; even if three minions die from one use of an encounter power, they've served their purpose.

I would argue that reading the term "valid threat" in context how it's used in the text is "applying common sense to the rules", but that's just my opinion. :) If someone wanted to houserule that minons weren't a "valid threat" I don't think it would break anything, I just don't see the point.

Last edited:

Aservan

First Post
4th more then many previous editions needs a bit of a paradigm shift. Cleave is not hacking into a big bad and the massive swing smacks the dude next to him. For one thing that is a newb way to fight that will get you dead. Watch master fencers. They do not take big swings.

Cleave is the swing at the skilled opponent that nicks him. You then flick the blood on the end of your blade into the eyes of his minion distracting him right before you run said minion through. You grin at your opponent. "One down. Do you think you will last much longer?"

demadog

Explorer
I think many of the examples of how cleave is only a small amount of damage assumes the creature is at full hit points. Take the dragon example, the party has tangled with the dragon and his minions for several hard fought rounds. The rogue gets underneath the critter and stabs it hard. The dragon lets out a blood curdling roar and looks skyward to make a retreat. Our big buff fighter has one last action as the mighty beast spreads its wings.

Now, should he A) take a shot at the dragon were he has, lets say, a 15% chance to hit, or b) take a shot at the minion near him where he has a 30% chance to hit and then do some minor, but now extremely significant damage, to the dragon?

I guess there are holes in the description. Maybe the DM shouldnt clue his players in when their nemisis is near the end. Perhaps the dragon should have retreated much earlier. Still, this particular situation would bring the question into a different focus.

Quick edit...The silly fighter took Tide of Iron instead of Reaping Strike as their second AtWill.

Last edited:

Ibixat

First Post
if you intend for an opponent to run away you'd best plan for running away long before it's down to the point where even the smallest bit of damage will kill it, or you'll be finding that the PC's will find a way to do that tiny bit of damage and no more running away for mr dragon. Having a minion still alive when the dragon is down to 3-7 hp is pretty unlikely as well, especially if the fighter has had cleave all along, those minions should have already been toasted.

demadog

Explorer
The Dragon couldnt run away yet because his foot was stuck. The minions just broke through the barrier that the party had placed to stop them from swinging the tide of battle early on. I guess my point would be that there are certainly situations when attacking a secondary critter would be the best course of action. Its definately easy to get around from a DM perspective, but what about in a tourney?

Ibixat

First Post
his foot was stuck...

I can see minions entering at the last second, but again, if you're going to run away, NPC, PC or otherwise, you have to do it when you still have some life left to actually make your escape. The old adage of you snooze you lose applies. Staying past the point of no return and getting whacked by a PC is totally under the control of the DM. You KNOW the player can maipulate the minion you just added to the encounter to cleave the dragon and end him, but seriously, you aren't more worried about the fighter smacking the dragon with his free attack from combat challenge when the dragon shifts away to run in the first place?

Remove ads