D&D (2024) Cleric Playtest Summary

The big difference in the cleric is that they've reshuffled the early levels:
  • Channel Divinity is now level 1 and you get a heal (or harm) out of it as well as Turn Undead - Prof times per long rest
  • New feature at 2 - the Holy Order. This is a semi- mirror of the Warlock's Pact Boon where you get to decide between heavy armour and martial weapons, an extra cantrip plus an extra channel on short rest, or two knowledge skills with quasi-expertise
  • Domain at 3. It's been reshuffled a bit but the total of the Life Cleric is little different (other than they get their big healing channel divinity option at 6
  • The extra d8 damage is now part of the class and automatically works on both weapons and cantrips - you get it at 7
Other than that there's reshuffling and spell changes (resistance now works like new guidance, aid gets to cover a normal sized party (6 targets), spiritual weapon is now concentration, banishment's less fun and interesting).

Overall? I'm a huge fan of the class changes. I think that every one of the changes to the class is a good one and overall little has changed. It's no longer an amazing dip, there's more variety thanks to the Holy Order, and a less overwhelming level 1.

Haplo781

Legend
It's a clerical change (pun intended). It changes nothing practical about the way clerics work but means that you don't get one of the same two abilities copy/pasted into every single subclass.
Currently you either get +1d8 on attacks or cantrips. Now it's both. And moving it to the base class means every subclass gets a new ability.

It's power creep on a class that doesn't need it.

Currently you either get +1d8 on attacks or cantrips. Now it's both. And moving it to the base class means every subclass gets a new ability.

It's marginal power creep at best; currently if you don't get the +1d8 you don't use that attack option.

And no it doesn't mean that every subclass gets a new ability. The level 1 was so overloaded that the "new ability" the subclasses gain is their domain's custom channel divinity.

mellored

Legend

You can either use your action to attack or cast a cantrip, not both.

It's also 1/turn. So not even booming blade or quicken sorcerer would help. It's a nerf to multi-attacks (war cleric)

So the only character this is a boost for is one who switches. And they're still behind due to needing both Str and Wis.

OB1

Jedi Master
Love the decoupling of god and domain. On first glance this is a spectacularly executed revision of the Cleric. And I love the new Guidance and Prayer of Healing spells.

My guess on the 4 subclasses/domains when they come:
Life (Priest)
War (Warrior)
Knowledge (Expert)
Theurge (Mage)

Amrûnril

Adventurer
Love the decoupling of god and domain. On first glance this is a spectacularly executed revision of the Cleric. And I love the new Guidance and Prayer of Healing spells.

My guess on the 4 subclasses/domains when they come:
Life (Priest)
War (Warrior)
Knowledge (Expert)
Theurge (Mage)

I feel like the War/Knowledge/Theurge concepts are reflected in the level 2 Holy Order choice. I'd expect to see options more along the lines of Light or Tempest for the remaining subclasses.

Remove ads