• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cleric Winter Domain

tombowings

First Post
Here's yet another new domain for my blog, the Wayfinders Guild. Any feedback would, of course, be appreciated (i.g. please rip it to shreds).

Winter Domain

Deities whose portfolios include the winter domain – Hoder, Boreas, the Raven Queen, and others – govern over all aspects of sickness, cold, ice, and frost, and those creatures and peoples who dwell in cold, icy environments such as the northern reaches and high mountains.

Winter Domain Spells

Cleric Level Spells
1st - Ice knife*, ray of sickness
3rd - Gust of wind, Scnilloc’s snowball swarm*
5th - Ice shape, sleet storm
7th - Blight, ice storm
9th - Cone of cold, contagion

* From Elemental Evil Player’s Companion.

Bonus Cantrip
At 1st level, you learn your choice of one of the following cantrips if you don’t already know it: ray of frost or chill touch. It counts as a cleric spell for you.

Winter’s Wrath
Also at 1st level, you can censure attackers with gusts of freezing air. When a creature within 30 feet of you that you can see hits you with an attack, you can use your reaction to cause the creature to make a Constitution saving throw. The creature takes your choice of 2d8 cold or necrotic damage on a failed saving throw, or half as much damage on a successful one.

You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Wisdom modifier (minimum once). You regain all expended uses when you finish a long rest.

Channel Divinity: Shards of Winter
Starting at 2nd level, you can use your channel divinity as an action to summon a gust of freezing air that in a 15 foot radius circle within 30 feet. The area becomes difficult terrain for 1 minute as shards and spears of razer-sharp ice appear. All creatures in the area must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes damage equal to the your level + Wisdom modifier.

Freezing Cold
Beginning at 6th level, whenever you deal cold or necrotic damage to a target, the target cannot take reactions until the end of your next turn.

Potent Spellcasting
Starting at 8th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

Herald of Winter
As an action, you can transform into the form of the winter’s herald for 1 minute. When in this form, you create an aura of ice and cold within 30 feet of you. The ground turns to ice and the air becomes a thick, whirling blizzard. The area within your aura is considered difficult terrain and heavily obscured for all creatures other than you. So long as your aura remains, you have immunity to cold and necrotic damage and may cast ray of frost as a bonus action once during each of your turns.

You cannot use this ability again until you finish an extended rest.

New Spells

The winter domain contains the following new spell.

Ice Shape
3rd level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You cause a section of ice, no more than 10 feet in any dimension, to form itself into any shape you desire. For example, you could shape a piece of ice into a weapon, an ice sculpture, or a small passage through a wall, as long as the wall is less than 10 feet thick.

tombowings

First Post
Why necrotic? It doesn't really seem to fit the winter theme. Is it to represent frostbite? I'm assuming that the spell blight and contagion in the domain spell lists are to represent withering of plants and the onset of 'flu season' that comes with winter.

Yeah, I may have gone a bit overboard with the necrotic damage. There seems to be a mythological connect between the gods of winter and death. But I may have taken it, too far.

WhyAll in all, I like the domain and can see priests of Auril scouring their enemies with frozen storms.

I'm glad you like it. And thinks for the feedback. I'll take it into account when writing up the final version.

Redthistle

Explorer
Supporter
Here's yet another new domain for my blog, the Wayfinders Guild. Any feedback would, of course, be appreciated (i.g. please rip it to shreds).

New Spells

The winter domain contains the following new spell.

Ice Shape
3rd level transmutation

Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous

You cause a section of ice, no more than 10 feet in any dimension, to form itself into any shape you desire. For example, you could shape a piece of ice into a weapon, an ice sculpture, or a small passage through a wall, as long as the wall is less than 10 feet thick.

I was revisiting threads I hadn't looked at in awhile, and got to thinking about this spell.

As I sometimes try to create PCs inspired theme-wise by comic book super-heroes, this spell got me to musing on the X-Men's Ice Man.

Ice Shape would need some changes to fit Bobby's ability to move around on those icy bridges he'd create in lieu of being able to fly (nice work, Ice Man, btw; I always thought that was pretty slick, er, cool, er ... damn. Can't think of an accolade that isn't a pun).

First, we'd need to change the Duration to Concentration.

Then, add "At Higher Levels" to increase the size of the sections by 10 feet in one direction for each spell slot level above 3rd. That would cap its potential length at 70 feet, sufficient to stretch over a 60 foot chasm.

Remove ads