• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clerical Contingency ideas wanted

NewJeffCT

First Post
This is from my other thread on long-duration buffs for an evil high priest.

Taking the Contingency idea a bit further, the evil high priest is thorough enough that he could cast Miracle every 20 days or so to give himself the benefit of a Contingency spell, as it lasts one day per level. Assuming he already has the Pact spells upon himself (Renewal, Stalwart & Death) for emergency healing, condition-relief and death, what other eventualities would you suggest an evil high priest of a deity of slavery & tyranny plan for?

1) Another Heal spell, just in case? That said, he might have a minion cast Shield Other so his damage is split with the high priest.
2) Wall of Stone if an Anti-Magic field is nearby?
3) A Greater Dispel Magic to use as a counter spell in case somebody tries to dispel his buffs? He does have a Ring of Counterspelling, but at high levels, multiple debuffs are often pretty regular.
4) A spell to transport him to a safe location?
5) Something else?

I want a guy who is really tough to kill, so when they do finally drop him for the last time, it will be a memorable moment.

Thanks

Jack Simth

First Post
Mind-control. Unless he's already got a permanent solution to being Dominated, he'll want something to counter mind-control. Magic Circle Against Good / Protection from Good would go well.

If you really want to play up the whole "uncachable" theme, though, try Word of Recall.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Mind-control. Unless he's already got a permanent solution to being Dominated, he'll want something to counter mind-control. Magic Circle Against Good / Protection from Good would go well.

If you really want to play up the whole "uncachable" theme, though, try Word of Recall.

That's a thought, as I would imagine those in a L/E religion dedicated to tyranny & slavery would worry about being dominated, from outside the religion, but also from an upstart within.

insanogeddon

First Post
Ideas

Cast your spells with strand of prayer beads (+4 CL), Death Knell (+2 CL), Ion Stone (+1 CL), Divine Power feat from complete divine (+1 to 3 CL) and dispels should not be an issue.

Have 3 acolytes behing thick curtains/hangings/carvings with shield other up = 1/3 damage but a good way to damage the priest if the party is observant and cunning.

Have some animate objects cast on BIGG things (permanancy thry the miracle). A statue, a massive rug and tapestry to grapple, a chain hanging from the roof with a spikey cencer of insense)

Have some permanent level caster level buffed 'Giant Vermin' spell vermin on call thru some nasty looking arches or to decend from the steeple/roof where there is a permanent deeper darkness cast.

Have 2 dominated unicorns that never fight but stand in the squares infront of the high priest and heal him when he is wounded (makes for some tough decisions with area spells and who to attack).

Dominated ruined buxom beautiful slave girls and some boys chained by the knecks to the wrists of each acolyte.

From PH 2 energy aegis 3rd means elemental damage shouldn't be an issue.
From PH 2 swift etheralness should mean you can get a 'time out' at will

I would be in an anti-life shell.

Righteous might is a great thing to also have permanent for DR and intimidation.

Use 'hallow's to have a dispel magic/invis purge even a silence (keyed to his religion) in the chamber = every spell is maybe dispelled.

Use hallow on the antee room so when the PCs buff they struggle.

Contingency a slay living for when you 'harm' someone for when someone gets close.

Or something like this.

Physiker

First Post
I think I would go with dominate person, perhaps highend. And state that contingency should be triggered when someone deals damage to you. That way your cleric (slavery) could control any assassin brave enought to take the risk. It's better than outright killing her, because he still could question her, and whats even better he could torture the assassin (tyranny).

This could be a problem with your group through, since the paladin you mentioned in some other treads, is immune to this contingency, and thus the spell is wasted if he gets the first strike that deals damage.

NewJeffCT

First Post
I think I would go with dominate person, perhaps highend. And state that contingency should be triggered when someone deals damage to you. That way your cleric (slavery) could control any assassin brave enought to take the risk. It's better than outright killing her, because he still could question her, and whats even better he could torture the assassin (tyranny).

This could be a problem with your group through, since the paladin you mentioned in some other treads, is immune to this contingency, and thus the spell is wasted if he gets the first strike that deals damage.

That's a good idea, though. However, would this evil high priest not use a Domination spell just because one enemy is immune to it?

NewJeffCT

First Post
Cast your spells with strand of prayer beads (+4 CL), Death Knell (+2 CL), Ion Stone (+1 CL), Divine Power feat from complete divine (+1 to 3 CL) and dispels should not be an issue.

Have 3 acolytes behing thick curtains/hangings/carvings with shield other up = 1/3 damage but a good way to damage the priest if the party is observant and cunning.

Have some animate objects cast on BIGG things (permanancy thry the miracle). A statue, a massive rug and tapestry to grapple, a chain hanging from the roof with a spikey cencer of insense)

Have some permanent level caster level buffed 'Giant Vermin' spell vermin on call thru some nasty looking arches or to decend from the steeple/roof where there is a permanent deeper darkness cast.

Have 2 dominated unicorns that never fight but stand in the squares infront of the high priest and heal him when he is wounded (makes for some tough decisions with area spells and who to attack).

Dominated ruined buxom beautiful slave girls and some boys chained by the knecks to the wrists of each acolyte.

From PH 2 energy aegis 3rd means elemental damage shouldn't be an issue.
From PH 2 swift etheralness should mean you can get a 'time out' at will

I would be in an anti-life shell.

Righteous might is a great thing to also have permanent for DR and intimidation.

Use 'hallow's to have a dispel magic/invis purge even a silence (keyed to his religion) in the chamber = every spell is maybe dispelled.

Use hallow on the antee room so when the PCs buff they struggle.

Contingency a slay living for when you 'harm' someone for when someone gets close.

Or something like this.

Some excellent ideas here - thanks. I should have him flanked by some slaves, too, and buxom young women are always a way to flummox the players, even if it is just a 25-30mm tall miniature

Crust

First Post
Wall of stone and dominate person/monster are out. Remember, spells brought into effect by the contingency can only affect the caster's person.

NewJeffCT

First Post
Wall of stone and dominate person/monster are out. Remember, spells brought into effect by the contingency can only affect the caster's person.

good points. any suggestions? Anything that can block line of effect of an anti-magic field? Word of Recall to get him out of danger?

Last edited:

Physiker

First Post
What about Ethereal Jaunt or Etherealness ?
Renders him invisible and able to go through walls, but he will be still near the action if he chooses to.
So that he can choose freely to stay and bring the assassin down or to flee and gather more servants for the fight.

He could also use some buff spells while ethereal I think.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads