• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Cloak of Invisibility: Best item in the game?

Zurai

First Post
The ability that gives you invisibility, obviously. The Wizard spells specifically state that attacking breaks invisibility. Cloak of Invisibility states that the end of the encounter or being damaged by a melee or ranged power breaks invisibility.

Because there is no general rule that states "Attacking while invisible removes the invisible status", Cloak of Invisibility's invis does not go away when you attack.

Zurai

First Post
Jhulae said:
Other than Wizard's spells and the cloak, what else provides invisibility?

I don't know.. I really think it's fairly obvious that it's treated like the invisibility spell except that it's an item and therefore usable by anybody (not just the wizard) and doesn't require any concentration to maintain.

I personally think you might be looking too hard at the Invisibility section on page 288 while totally disassociating it from the spells that provide it.
There's a ranger power, several rogue powers, a warlock at-will (and probably some warlock powers past the at-will too, I'm just not familiar with the warlock), a couple wizard powers, a cleric power IIRC, several items, and more than a few monsters.

Of all of those, I do believe that only the two wizard powers state that they drop when you attack.

Jhulae

First Post
Okay, and except for the proviso that it lets you move, how is this item any different from the rogue abilities then?

If a rogue used ranged attacks with their hide in plain sight abilities at 30th level, they'd be nigh impossible to attack, just like the cloak, yes?

Zurai

First Post
No, because he's easy to locate. He cannot move. You only need either two or three different data points (move + perception check) to pinpoint his square exactly, and once you've done that, invisibility is just +5 defenses to him.

Zurai

First Post
Not by rules as written. The only way to know the direction of an invisible creature is to beat its stealth check with your perception. Also note that Invisi-Ranger can shoot and then move (or shoot and move in the same action, given how mobile Rangers are).

Jhulae

First Post
The level 22 rogue ability does let the rogue move. So, the rogue can shoot and move, repeat, ad nauseum.

So again, how is the cloak different?

And, if nobody can spot the rogue via a perception check at 30th level with his ability up, how again is that different from the cloak?

According to the 'you can't tell where the direction of fire is coming from' thing you're saying, then the same applies to the bow using rogue with his level 22 ability.

Again, how is this different?

Llamas Notsheep

First Post
Haha great thread, fun read.

Yeah, RAW pretty clearly makes for a ridiculously powerful cloak, whether or not you think it's broken. The whole idea that it's just an unclearly-written version of the invisibility spell is shot by the fact that it enumerates the conditions for the invisibility to end. Expressio unius est exclusion alterius and all that jazz.

Obviously any good DM would find ways to prevent the abuse of this power, but as long as you don't piss off your DM...

Zurai

First Post
The rogue using Hide from the Light can only use basic attacks (hah) or at will attacks (hah). He won't do enough damage per round to kill Orcus before his invisibility wears off.

Zurai

First Post
And people are STILL focusing on the stuff that doesn't even matter, by the way. It doesn't matter whether the cloak is better than a class daily power (though it very clearly is; only someone who hasn't bothered to read the full text of both powers would even suggest otherwise).

I asked this back on page 2 or 3, but I'll ask it again because every single poster has ignored it.

Compare a Cloak of Invisibility to a Cloak of Invulnerability. Which would you rather have? Which is more expensive? Compare and contrast.

Remove ads