Clubhouse: The Shearing Pen

Infiniti2000

First Post
Ooc

Spell turning Su ability?? Holy crap! That's insane! I figured it forced me to attack myself, even though metagaming-wise I didn't see anything to that effect. Anyway, it's interesting not knowing the powers of the spectator, because I chose the draw assuming that if my best powers worked against me, what else would? Better to get Vader out of the arena than for the next N to fight Vader and Brainiac. They'd end up charming everyone.

So, a spectator is CR4? I think not!

Infiniti2000

First Post
Spectator

The spectator has to be the most under-CRed creature out there. I'm not sure what all of its abilities are, but it apparently has spell turning (!), charm monster, a fatigue-ray, and what else? Just the charm monster and spell turning is enough for CR6 (at least) IMO, but the flight and other rays, egad.

Gansk

Explorer
Ooc

I don't know how the spectator would fare against a 4th level party of PC's. It has to use its central eye to spell turn and it can only turn one spell per round. If the PC's spread out and plucked it, they could turn into a pin cushion pretty quick. The shocker would be that first spell turn that would give them the willies.

Anyway, I had fun running that combat between it and the unbodied and I expect more fun as we get more combats between spellcasters with strange defensive capabilities.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Ooc

I stopped by the store to look it up, finding the spectator in LoM. I guess you used suggestion, not a charm monster? Anyway, you can't use suggestion on something without a language. Creatures of Int 2 or less do not have a language (you cannot use telepathy either). I suppose it would work if you cast speak with animals, however. In any case, it doesn't lesson my opinion of the spectator. They should still be CR6 or so just for the spell turning.

Gansk

Explorer
Ooc

OK, well I guess I screwed up. Please point me to where I can understand why telepathy doesn't substitute for a language.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Lol! Don't worry if you screwed up. We're all learning new things. Telepathy only works on a creature "that has a language." Of course, the description of the creature's telepathy could give it a more powerful ability, but not by default. Anyway, it would help the unbodied fare any better, so I'd say it's all even. :)

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Ic

As the dim presence is watching one of his sponsored combats intently you see him jerk alert to an unknown signal. He seems to grab something from his waist and tilt his head in conversation, though you hear not a word. He then gets up and walks quickly to the host's podium. He has a brief conversation, the leaves the club. The host shortly thereafter posts a notice on the announcement board - "Sponsor needed for Celestial Arena, enquire at desk."

In the pit, the scholar finishes his work. "Kelzwick! Kelzwick!" His below reaches the ears of the short, large-nosed humanoid at the bar who finishes his drink, then stumbles back to his employer. "Ah. There you are. Pack this up; I've learned enough to make my presentation to the Guild. Disappointing really. While the forces of evil seem to have an edge over the forces of good in sheer numbers, it seems to be mostly offset by good's slight power advantage. But both of these pale before the forces of the natural world. Everything seems to be in balance, with no advantage given or taken. Any could win the game. Any could lose it. If I was a betting man, I'd stick around, as it should get quite intense at times." He pauses for a breath. "But we must be off - the Guild likes their pretty pictures and that takes time." The scholar strides confidently out the door, never noticing the weaving, stumbling, near-toppling walk of his henchman and his library. But the henchman makes it safely to and out the door.

The gnome Alem looks up. I am a betting man, he thinks, especially when the marks make themselves as obvious as that halfling. He stops, takes another sip of his dwarf-sized beer, and continues thinking to himself. But I don't have nearly the bankroll I pretended (Of course, what's the point otherwise?) and I don't think the more powerful demons are going to be fooled by my Major Image fakery. I also don't think I'd enjoy what would happen if I lost a bet to those folks. It's a little to rich for my tastes, so I think I'll try less dangerous environs. Alem takes a final deep drink of the beer, wipes his mouth, and strolls out the clubhouse doors.

======
I've got to go.

Hope you all have fun in the clubhouse.

Infiniti2000

First Post
The dwarf comments to the gnome, "Aye, lad, ye take o' yerself." Glancing at the unfinished brew, mostly untouched from a dwarf's reckoning, "Mind if I finish that fer ye, lad? Why, thank ye much!" The dwarf downs the rest of the ale in a few gulps.

*burp*

"It's been nice werkin' wit' ye."

OOC: Thanks, GL. Can you e-mail me your spreadsheet?

Remove ads