• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Clutches of Evil - IC: Chapter One

Barak

First Post
Slipping the strips of metal into his pockets for later, Gav continues further into the marketplace, his eyes still open for any stray leather. By now, the episode with the priestess forgotten, he also keep an eye open for any possible rich mark.

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Great Bend folks:

Destiny springs forward with the bous, having to practically jog to match his merry stride.

As the party enters Great Bend, it becomes pretty clear where the guilds are located - and the bowmaking guild is also fairly obvious to see. Ouside the store a sign hangs from a hinge, "Bowmakers needed - apply within." The hinges are rusted out, though, and it looks as though the hinges couldn't be closed if someone wanted to close them and thus fold up the sign so that it couldn't be read.

Inside the guild, you see what looks like a half-elf looking over a well crafted bow behind a counter. Behind the counter area are baskets literally overflowing with arrows. This area looks like a small store designed to sell the goods of its guildmembers. Bows of all kind hang horizontally along the wall, supported by two wooden dowels from underneath.

The elf looks up, takes in the party, and goes back to analyzing the bow. "You'll find that all of our products excede most expectations. Our prices are higher than the rest of the armories that hand out normal bows. But arrows shot with our bows will fly straighter and make you more accurate. That is a guarantee."

He seems not to care that two large bous have entered the store, despite the fact the Bahruul's head nearly scrapes the ceiling of the store.

Byntrou:
[Sblock]The bow the half-elf is holding looks remarkably familiar from this distance.[/Sblock]

Gav:

After spending a considerable amount of time looking around, Gav does happen to spot a leatherworkers tent. It looks as though there are goods to be sold - and those goods are obviously made out of leather. The tent has a front door flap that is tied open, but the rest of the tent is only spiked down on the corners.

jkason

First Post
Byntrou

Byntrou's heart leaps into his throat at the sight of the bow the elf is still perusing, but he swallows it back. The mental nudge from Delcoi, still curled under his robes, reminds him he'll be in a better position if his first impression is a little more ... demure.

Byn saunters over, smiling in admiration of the bow, trying to get a closer look at the craftmanship--and any maker's marks.

"A lovely piece of work, this. And which of your guildsmen manufactured it?"

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Great Bend Folk:

The half-elf looks up, noting which of the bous had spoken to him, and then looks back down to the bow. "Honestly, I don't know who made it. My wife just got back from Theropa and bought this off of a shady bow dealer in the marketplace. She couldn't believe the find! This is a nice, bow, though. And if you'll look at these symbols - my guess is a one of a kind if you don't mind me saying. None of our guildmembers makes this sign. I think this bow is fine enough to enter into my own private collection - especially for the price my wife paid for it!"

Finally, he looks up once more. "You know bows?"

Byntrou:
[Sblock]When he shows Byntrou the crafter's marks - there is no doubt. The marks are his own and his mother's.[/Sblock]

jkason

First Post
Byntrou

Conflicted by pride at the compliments to his work and resurgent anger at the theft, Byntrou takes a calming breath before answering.

"I know bows," he says evenly, "I know this bow in particular, since I made it myself."

Byntrou points to the maker's marks--heron and string of diamonds--and elaborates. "If you consult the guard in Theropa, you'll find I registered this bow, bearing these--maker's marks of myself and my mother--as part of the theft I and my companions suffered last night. It seems your wife didn't get nearly the bargain she might have thought."

D20Dazza

Explorer
Bahruul leans against the wall, being careful not to disturb any merchandise and listens intently to the exchange between his petik and the half-elf.

Barak

First Post
Gav eyes the back of the tent for a bit, but then thinks better of it. Making his way to the front, he enters the shop. Smiling to the person behind the counter, he bows deeply.

"Hiya and good day to ya! I.. I was just wondering if you might have some scraps of leather that are of no use to ya that I could have, please."

Nonlethal Force

First Post
Great Bend Folks:

The half-elf looks up to the Bous. "Listen, I'll check with the city guard. But even then I've got no proof that you didn't just overhear the report and are taking advantage of it. But there is one way that you can prove this is yours. You make me a bow with your insignia and I'll compare the craftsmanship. If it matches this one, I'll give you this bow back in exchange for the one you make. And if the bow you make is this good, perhaps I can even find you a job. But as I said, we only sell the highest quality in this guild. We let others sell the cheap stuff."

Gav:

The woman behind the counter looks down to Gav and smiles. "Actually, yeah, I think I can come up with a scrap or two. You like working with leather? Cause if you like leather you can practice and maybe when you get older you can make items for sale!" She begins rummaging around in her stock, looking for stray pieces that might be of use to Gav.

jkason

First Post
Byntrou

Nonlethal Force said:
The half-elf looks up to the Bous. "Listen, I'll check with the city guard. But even then I've got no proof that you didn't just overhear the report and are taking advantage of it. But there is one way that you can prove this is yours. You make me a bow with your insignia and I'll compare the craftsmanship. If it matches this one, I'll give you this bow back in exchange for the one you make. And if the bow you make is this good, perhaps I can even find you a job. But as I said, we only sell the highest quality in this guild. We let others sell the cheap stuff."

Byntrou's expression darkens momentarily. While he's certainly not above lying if the need warrants, he finds his professional pride wounded at not getting credit for his own work.

"And I've no proof your tale of wandering bow sales isn't meant to conceal your own part in the recurring fleecing of travelers to Theropa, nor that you'll trade fair after I've put the necessary funds and effort into fabricating a second bow."

Delcoi climbs out of the young Bous' robes to take her horn-perch, emanating calm and restraint. Byntrou takes the hint, relaxing his stance and smiling as he continues.

"It seems to me, then, we have a mutual good faith issue. You've given me a means to earn yours, but provided no return offer. I'd propose this: I'll make a second bow, but on the condition that you supply me the materials to do so--and access to the proper tools for the crafting of it--free of charge. Consider it a good faith loan against the finished product."

Barak

First Post
Gav

Figuring that the truth, which would be that a newfound friend of his is a spellcaster and probably plans to use them for spells, wouldn't really get him that far, Gav nods up and down.

"Aye ma'am! I already know how to make pouches, fah sure! That's what I'll do with those scrapes. Maybe when I'm good enough, I'll work for ya! Your stuff is just awesome."

Gav then waits patiently for the promised scraps, while looking around, making sure to keep both his hands in his pockets, as he wouldn't want to accidently steal from this pretty nice woman.

Remove ads