• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[CoC d20] Flintlock & Tomahawk

Old Fezziwig

Well, that was a real trip for biscuits.
And we know Speid is good to go, so that leaves us with Gregory and Pitcairne. I'll give DerHauptman until tonight to pop in and rejoin us before I get the game going again (which'd be tonight, of course). :)

Old Fezziwig

Ah. Best laid plans of men and lions. Move coming up shortly. I'll post a link to the new IC thread as soon as it's up.

Nick

Old Fezziwig

Everyone: I'm going to be without internet access and on vacation for the next five or six days. I'll post again when I get back. I apologize for the lack of updates lately. RL has been quite busy.

Old Fezziwig

Postgame
Does anyone have any questions or comments? Is there anything that you'd like to know about the adventure or anything? If you don't mind, I'd love to have some feedback (what was good, what was bad).

I can say this much, a lot of what happened was drastically different from what I had written two years ago in Chapel Hill, but this was partially by design. The middle of the adventure was meant to be modular and different every time it was played -- for instance, there was no encounter with a servitor of the Elder Gods on the road; instead, the party had a midnight encounter with wolves, the party's psychic had a few hallucinations, and there was a disjointed encounter with a group of horseman rounding up witches on the way to Salem (something that didn't happen until 1692). Hell, the other party started in Dedham, not Boston, and went right on the road (there was a different hook, which fell flat on its ass when I ran the game before), so there was no encounter with the Native American townsfolk or Iyannough in Natick.

The end played a lot similarly to how it did here, save for an actual encounter with the servitor underneath New Warrenton, and one character losing it in the fight with Cale and completely disassociating from reality (thinking he was back in Sicily in the hills overlooking Syracuse, I think).

Personal Notes: What Went Well
  • I liked the characters a lot; I think I'd prefer pregens in the future (if only because it'd be easier to hit the ground running for a one-shot), but the nature of a PbP made it plausible and possible for us to have personally designed characters.
  • I loved the road sequence with the exploding coach and Gregory's work with the horses. That whole middle section had some really great RPing from y'all, and it made my life easier.
  • The first half of the New Warrenton section, with the zombie assault on the house was fun to run. It works better at a table, but I always love that scene, and you guys ran with it really well.
Personal Notes: What Didn't Go As Well
  • I keyed a little too much of the early part of the adventure on Pitcairne and the astrology. He had made the character, and it really tied into some of my ideas well, but when MummyKitty went MIA, it fubared that part of the adventure. I shouldn't have put that many eggs in that basket. This had the effect of changing the tone of the last section into more of an adventure-type scenario than investigation-type scenario. After all, we had three combat-oriented characters and a man on a very personal revenge mission — I don't think investigation would have made as much sense for those four.
  • I was not aggressive enough in hinting at what was really going on in the last sequence. I tried to give y'all two chances to disrupt the ceremony that Cale had started (and ended up interrupting himself, figuring that Hastur would have been all too happy to let him just pick it up where he left off — Hastur wasn't, hence the transformation), but I was far too oblique in those hints, which really led to a bad scene in that last fight. Time waits for no man, but I needed to be more fair with that, and give y'all the chance to get to that last set piece and see Abcott's daughter.
  • Again, pre-generated characters are a must, I think, and having new players just jump in on those characters when we rerecruited would have worked far better than new PCs — it would have lent more continuity to the game and kept the plotline from evolving or devolving.
In the end, I had a hell of a lot of fun with you two as players; thank you for sticking it out with me to the end. You're always welcome at my virtual game table.

And for those of you that couldn't stick it out (Dr. Zombie, Bobitron, MummyKitty, taitzu52, DerHauptman, and WargamerX), I'm sorry y'all couldn't hang in with us, but I did enjoy your characters as they came and went.

thanks,
Nick

Rookseye

Explorer
First of all, KL, I feel I would have shortchanged you the time and the effort that you put into this roleplaying session if I didn't offer feedback when it was desired.

I know I said it before when I posted in the IC thread following the epilogue, but I feel like I have to say it again: That was a phenomenal GM'ing job.

I'm not offering undue praise here, either. I have pretty much been the de facto GM/DM for a small group of family and friends that I have been RP'ing with for over twenty years now, and I know firsthand the effort, joys, and headaches that go into the role. Still, like you probably, I wouldn't have it any other way. There is a joy that comes when everything is going well in a game and everyone is in the moment that is hard to describe. I enjoyed seeing it happen from the other side of the screen for a change.

To give you some perpspective, I have probably GM or DM'ed 20-30+ different campaigns over the last fifteen years, with any number of one-shots, but the last time I had the opportunity to play was when my Expert Set D&D 6th level halfling, "Bullroarer Took" (Yes, I know, I was young) braved the cannibal orcs of Drums on Fire Mountain sometime in the late 80's in my cousin's slap-dash campaign. Needless to say, I have a sense of the DM's side of things.

Forgive me the headers, Sergio Leone's masterwork has been on repeatedly in the past few days, :) :

The Good:

Your storytelling technique. In a word, superb. The period setting, the characterizations, it was all excellent from the beginning. One of the reasons I have played very little is because of unrealistic expectations of what GM's should be able to do in a game. I guess it is because I am a perfectionist and my players expect as much from me now. Needless to say, I feel I learned a lot about the craft from a very talented peer.

2. The story itself. I realized as we were playing in the later half of the game that we hadn't scraped even the tip of the iceberg when it came to the investigative side of the game. As you said, it was the unlucky draw of having too many non-investigative type characters and a surplus of 'muscle'. Had I chance to do it again, I would have lobbied harder to make some manner of scholar to play, but I was so intent on getting into the game I figured the 'red-shirt' militiaman was my best ticket in. Thomas Sykes was no Harvey Walters however, and in an effort to keep from straying from his true character I probably missed some really cool story elements along the way. As it was, I feel like I made him too much of the 'thinking-man's militiaman' before the end, but that was solely for the purpose of keeping a game I was deeply enjoying from ending prematurely. Sykes was originally born of a kernel based on Seth Bullock from Deadwood, by the end he was a bit more, umm... erudite, than he should have been. In summation, great storyline.

3. Your patience. You, my friend, are Job's descendant. In the face of six, yes six character defections/disappearances (including a pair of Scotsmen: I will never, ever, on principle make or allow another Scottish character in a campaign as long as I live for this reason), a full server crash that ghosted most of what we had posted, and some long lapses in player responses, you never deviated from being polite and focused on the game. You should pat yourself on the back for this, very few would have retained such equanimity and dignity when put into that situation.

The Bad:

1. The Defectors. At times I found the players that left the game with such nonchalance to be frustrating, the long delays from some with their responses (myself included at times) could be irritating. These things do not reflect on you, but I have come to understand are just the nature of the beast with play by post games. Even still, I can't help but feel that people who go so far as to ask to be in a game, and then leave for reasons that are not out of their control (I know some in this game had such reasons) are disrespectful of the person running the game. You are likely unwilling to say it KL, but that is the truth, and all I can say is that those who left prematurely really did miss out.

Those who don't take hints. I'm raising my hand on this one. What you said about oblique references to interrupting the ritual rather than facing down Cale in a bloodbath should have been discerned and acted upon. I have always wondered why my players sometimes just can't "take the hint" and now I know. Without the omniscient GM info in the back of your head already, the sensible path just isn't always apparent. I feel I owe a few of my players over the years an apology for not seeing the obvious when I felt it was perfectly clear. It truly is different on the other side of things. Just the same, I am thrilled to have the ability to now say that I have met a gruesome end as a character in a CoC game.

The Ugly:

1. Just one thing here: Surean Sikapanderijin. The Indian manservant in the Indian (Native American) land. Dr. Zombie stopped before he even started, and I think for the sake of everyone's sanity that was a good thing. Wow, LOL.

I can't say when I will have my Civil War scenario ready to go (my soon to be one year old is keeping me pretty busy right now...he was just home from the hospital when we started!), but I will be sure to drop you both a line when it does get posted. For now, think pleasant thoughts of Georgia bayous, Sherman's March to the Sea, and "Bad Moons Rising".

Thanks again for the great game KL, and I hope my rambling just now gave something back that you can use.

-Rook

Committed Hero

Adventurer
KL, I thought your pbp GMing was excellent. You struck a good balance between moving things along and keeping everyone involved - not to mention gritting out the player attrition. A few scenes felt rushed, but again, in a pbp game that can be a boon.

When were you in Chapel Hill?

Would either of you be interested in a d20 Delta Green scenario, while rookseye changes diapers (my last one - er, my kid's last one - was changed a few years ago, thank goodness)?

Old Fezziwig

Committed Hero said:
KL, I thought your pbp GMing was excellent. You struck a good balance between moving things along and keeping everyone involved - not to mention gritting out the player attrition. A few scenes felt rushed, but again, in a pbp game that can be a boon.
I know what you mean about a few scenes feeling rushed — it's one of the tricky things that I'm still trying to learn with a PbP. It's hard sometimes to gauge when folks are simply busy or getting bored and to know when you should push things along and when you should wait. Far easier at the table. As for the rest, thanks. :)
Committed Hero said:
When were you in Chapel Hill?
I was in Chapel Hill for grad school from August 2002 through July 2004. I actually miss the area a lot, and I'm thinking I might move back in a few years.
Committed Hero said:
Would either of you be interested in a d20 Delta Green scenario, while rookseye changes diapers (my last one - er, my kid's last one - was changed a few years ago, thank goodness)?
Absolutely. I've had pretty much zero chance to play CoC, so that'd be fun. :)
Rookseye said:
1. Just one thing here: Surean Sikapanderijin. The Indian manservant in the Indian (Native American) land. Dr. Zombie stopped before he even started, and I think for the sake of everyone's sanity that was a good thing. Wow, LOL.
I've truncated the rest of your post so this one doesn't get too unwieldy, but thank you for your feedback. That's wicked helpful. :) And this one — I don't know what I was thinking when I let Surean Sikapanderijin in as a character. It's a cool concept, and it makes sense, but it's slightly anachronistic for the late 17th century, and it kind of clashes with the adventure thematically, as you point out. If I were running a game with that was wrapped around the ideas of the "stranger in a strange land" or a "brave new world" vibe (note to self — develop CoC scenario set in India around the time of British colonization), he would have been perfect. Hell, if the game were set in Roanoke or Plimoth in the early 17th century, it would have worked fine. It just might have been too much as things were.

Which brings me to a side note: for one-shot PbPs, I was thinking of enforcing concepts on people (loose backgrounds) rather than actual pre-gens (except for another possible CoC scenario, which has been percolating in my head since April, called "Everyone Goes to Rick's" and is set in Casablanca circa 1941 — this one really requires pre-gens for some fairly obvious reasons once you think about the setting, title, and year). Say that I need these four "types" and they must have these features and then leave the execution of the rest up to the players. Might still be more work than just making pre-gens.
Rookseye said:
I can't say when I will have my Civil War scenario ready to go (my soon to be one year old is keeping me pretty busy right now...he was just home from the hospital when we started!), but I will be sure to drop you both a line when it does get posted. For now, think pleasant thoughts of Georgia bayous, Sherman's March to the Sea, and "Bad Moons Rising".
One year olds kind of do keep folks busy. :) Whenever you're ready, I'll be ready for that one. I loves me some Civil War stuff. Maybe I'll watch the Ken Burns doc in the meantime.

Thanks, folks. :)
Nick

Remove ads