• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collaborative Cave!

Conaill

First Post
Sorry, been very busy at work...

Room #12. Trapped by a puddle (EL - 9?)

A band of goblins stumbled into this room three weeks ago, hunting for treasure, only to find their way out cut off by a Watery Ooze that had crept out of the depths behind them. After losing a couple of band members to the ooze, they figured out that if they stayed far enough back on the platform in the rear of the cave, the ooze coudn't sense them. They've been stuck there for weeks now, living off the occasional party member, waiting for the ooze to go back to where it came from elsewhere in the cave complex.

The ooze will wait until the PCs are alongside the pool to attack. The goblins intend to wait until the ooze attacks them, then try slip out along the other side of the pool - (probably putting them in conflict with the PCs rearguard).

Add in one young but smart goblin who wants to join forces with the PC's rather than simply feed them to the ooze as bait. (He was probably next on the menu if the goblins didn't get of out there soon...)

------ under construction ------

Watery Ooze
Size/Type: Huge Ooze
Hit Dice: 10d10+60 (115 hp)
Initiative: -5
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 3 (–2 size, –5 Dex), touch 3, flat-footed 3
Base Attack/Grapple: +7/+18
Attack: Slam +8 melee (2d6+4 plus 2d6 acid)
Full Attack: Slam +8 melee (2d6+4 plus 2d6 acid)
Space/Reach: 15 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Acid, constrict 2d6+4 plus 2d6 acid, improved grab, watery
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., ooze traits
Saves: Fort +9, Ref –2, Will –2
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 1, Con 22, Int —, Wis 1, Cha 1
Skills:
Feats:
Environment: Underground
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 7
Treasure: None
Alignment: Neutral

The transparent watery ooze slowly flows across dungeon corridors and cave floors, resting in shallow depressions, or hiding in pools, where it
is virtually invisible.

A watery ooze is completely shapeable, taking up nine contiguous squares. It is up to several inches thick, and weighs about 2,000 pounds.

Combat

A watery ooze attacks by grabbing and squeezing their prey.

Acid (Ex): The creature secretes a digestive acid that dissolves organic material and metal quickly, but does not affect stone. Any melee hit or constrict attack deals acid damage, and the opponent’s armor and clothing dissolve and become useless immediately unless they succeed on DC 21 Reflex saves. A metal or wooden weapon that strikes a watery ooze also dissolves immediately unless it succeeds on a DC 21 Reflex save. The save DCs are Constitution-based.

The ooze’s acidic touch deals 21 points of damage per round to wooden or metal objects, but it must remain in contact with the object for 1 full round to deal this damage.

Constrict (Ex): A watery ooze deals automatic slam and acid damage with a successful grapple check. The opponent’s clothing and armor take a –4 penalty on Reflex saves against the acid.

Improved Grab (Ex): To use this ability, a watery ooze must hit with its slam attack. It can then attempt to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity. If it wins the grapple check, it establishes a hold and can constrict.

Watery (Ex): A watery Ooze resembles a puddle of water so closely that it takes a DC 15 Spot check to notice one. When inside a body of water, it counts as invisible.

Last edited:

der_kluge

Adventurer
Conail, I added your entry to the first post. I made it EL 7. I wouldn't count the goblins (assuming they are just normal goblins). They wouldn't really increase the EL, I wouldn't think. Especially since they aren't meaning to attack, anyway.

It does beg the question as to how goblins got in here, though...

That leaves rooms 3, 4 and 10.

Room 3 - Whizbang Dustyboots.
Room 4 - Ilium.
Room 10 - Shieldhaven.

Come on guys! Don't make me stat out your rooms! ;)

Elephant

First Post
I've updated the Choker's stats to make him a little bit less nasty. This time, I counted Sor levels as "associated" class levels (because of the strength of the Quickness ability) and added an extra +2 CR modifier for the extremely strong Quickness + spells combination.

I also made some notes on simple ways to reduce the challenge of the encounter. It should be a hard but winnable fight for an 8th level party.

...I hope.

Conaill

First Post
der_kluge said:
Conail, I added your entry to the first post. I made it EL 7. I wouldn't count the goblins (assuming they are just normal goblins). They wouldn't really increase the EL, I wouldn't think. Especially since they aren't meaning to attack, anyway.
Actually, I'm aiming for EL 7-9. The goblins will attempt to fight their way out if need be - which will probably mean they get to melee with the PCs rearguard (i.e. hopefully their spellcasters ;)).

Sure, the PCs could just let the goblins pass by, but most groups I've played with would misinterpret their actions as a flanking attack, and engage combat. Serves them right :D.

I'm aiming for EL 6.5 or so for the goblins by themselves: high enough to affect the overal EL of the encounter, but not so high that they could have easily taken the ooze on themselves. I'll post more details when I get another chunk of time...

der_kluge

Adventurer
I may be unable to post to ENWorld for a while. I can't access ENWorld from work, and my roommate's is dropping his internet access (and I use his computer). Plus, I'm moving to a different place this weekend, so after this weekend, my access will be a bit sketchy.

So, you won't have me to poke this little project with a stick from time to time. At least for a while. :)

der_kluge

Adventurer
Just a friendly pop in to see if anyone has any updates to their rooms. I'll finish them myself eventually if the assigned people don't...

Remove ads