• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collected DDXP Preview Pages

Feats, maybe?

Stalker0 said:
This is my feeling as well, though my biggest question is how does a defender in heavy armor get more AC?

Most believe that you get a +1/2 bonus to AC per level, but so far that seems to be through stats (ie, your effective dex mod and int mod increase by 1/2 per level). If that's the case, then very quickly a ranger in light armor will out AC the paladin in plate.

I'm assuming there's more to it than that.
Maybe certain feats give a + to AC when wearing heavy armor to represent getting even more proficient at using it to deflects blows? We do know that feats are supposed to be pretty passive, and it would be nice to let defenders decide how much to invest in improving AC vs. improving offense (or whatever else).

sukael

First Post
Fallen Seraph said:
Though description fluff (of their appearance) doesn't need to be included in the text. Since I am pretty sure they have said every species of creature has a picture.

The picture will counteract it somewhat, but not getting random tidbits like monster weights will hurt.

I wonder how long it'll be until somebody makes a GSL product that's just a page worth of description for each monster.

sukael

First Post
Magus Coeruleus said:
Maybe certain feats give a + to AC when wearing heavy armor to represent getting even more proficient at using it to deflects blows? We do know that feats are supposed to be pretty passive, and it would be nice to let defenders decide how much to invest in improving AC vs. improving offense (or whatever else).

Maybe it'll be something like Saga, where getting the right talents (in this case, feats, I think) lets you add 1/2 of your armor bonus to the given stat.

ZombieRoboNinja

First Post
Stalker0 said:
This is my feeling as well, though my biggest question is how does a defender in heavy armor get more AC?

Most believe that you get a +1/2 bonus to AC per level, but so far that seems to be through stats (ie, your effective dex mod and int mod increase by 1/2 per level). If that's the case, then very quickly a ranger in light armor will out AC the paladin in plate.

My guess is that you DON'T add the level bonus to attribute modifiers - only to attribute ROLLS (like a Strength check to push open a heavy door).

Center-of-All

First Post
You're misunderstanding how the 1/2 level thing works. You don't add 1/2 your level to your ability modifiers. The +X next to a creature's ability score is the modifier to their ability checks and untrained skill checks using that ability. The 1/2 level is added directly to your AC, regardless of how armored you are.

Kordeth

First Post
ZombieRoboNinja said:
My guess is that you DON'T add the level bonus to attribute modifiers - only to attribute ROLLS (like a Strength check to push open a heavy door).

Yeah, based on some of the powers we've seen so far, things would get insane if you added half your level directly to your attribute modifiers. Monsters are just written that way to provide convenient reference to their ability/untrained skill checks.

Benimoto

First Post
Stalker0 said:

Yeah, I bet if there is a 1/2 level bonus to AC and defenses, it's added directly in, and not through stats. This would mean that a defender's AC goes up just like the rest of the party's. I don't know... I'll have to some reverse engineering on some of the stats we have.

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Thanks for the pics!

As for the number of spells: there are well over two thousand of pages of spells for 3E. From the looks of things, it won't be that hard for you and your DM to convert your favorites over for your wizard. That's my plan if I go to 4E.

Dr. Awkward said:
Hey, what's that yellow junk running down the side of every page? Is it some kind of copy-protection watermark, or is it actually part of the layout? If the latter, yech.

Without seeing them in person, I'd assume they were printed from the page layout files in Quark or InDesign (whatever they're using). Those markings might be printer's marks, or they might just mean that their color printer needs a cleaning and some new Yellow toner...

Last edited:

Wormwood

Adventurer
Dr. Awkward said:
Hey, what's that yellow junk running down the side of every page? Is it some kind of copy-protection watermark, or is it actually part of the layout? If the latter, yech.
Looks like a printing artifact to me.

edit: as per Eridanis just above me. ;)

cheddar bearer

First Post
Nice job getting all the stuff online.

Bit disappointed about the small amount of spells. I get that they want to balance the classes a bit more but this still looks like a lot less. Guess we'll have to wait till the final product. I mean I'm sure that more spells will be released with later supplements but I just don't know if there will be enough in the players handbook for me to make the sort of wizard I really want to play. Plus I'm not particualrly keen on having to buy an additional supplement just a class to playable level.

Having said this I'm also quite pessimistic so it will probably turn out better than I expected. Just my thoughts on the whole spell thing though.

Remove ads