• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collected DDXP Preview Pages

Stalker0

Legend
cheddar bearer said:
Nice job getting all the stuff online.

Bit disappointed about the small amount of spells. I get that they want to balance the classes a bit more but this still looks like a lot less.

While I agree that its a lot less I think part of that is that each spell remains effective throughout a wizard's career.

If we look at sleep for example. Your DC scale with your level. Sleep has no hit dice cap. Further, no matter what enemy you sling it at, you will at LEAST get to slow them for a round. That's a spell that seems to be useful at 1st or at 30th level.

When you break dnd spells down to the basics, you realize that in many cases one damage spell is just an upgraded version of another. How many fireball type spells do you need if your fireball spell continues to improve as you increase in level. Further, we don't know what kinds of metamagic effects we will see to alter spells.

The list will likely be lower than in 3.5 phb, but remember that each spell might mean a lot more.

JesterOC

Explorer
Droogie said:
Yikes. Looking over all the different monster powers makes my brain itch. :heh:

*gulp* They said running combat was easier, right? Less work for the DM, right? Right? :uhoh:

Looks easier to me. I always HATED when a monster entry mentioned spell powers. Oh great, now I have two books open to play the monster. With these monsters it is all right there.

It feels very 1st edition to have monsters that have unique powers rather than sharing a bunch of common powers in different combinations.

Of course the trouble with 1st/2nd edition monsters that 3rd attempted to address was some monsters with simular powers had different mechanics to produce the same effects, and that XP level differed greatly between simular powered creatures.

Hopefully they have developed a database of powers to help them keep track of mechanical effects and costs better than 20 years ago.

We shall see. But for now the monsters feel fresh again.

JesterOC

JesterOC

Explorer
Kobold Avenger said:
I can see why implements are quite important for wizards now. Having a +5 wand really does help with magic.

Sorry but I don't figure out the context in which the above statement was framed. Why does the wand of +5 help so much?

Remove ads