• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

College Football

Crothian

First Post
The season starts today with USC and Virginia Tech.

But its the year the Buckeyes win back the Big Ten. Its the year West Viginia makes a top bowl game by gopin undefeated, or only a single lose. Its the year that ACC learns that having all those great teams now just means they all beat each other and no one comes out clearly on top. Its the year Nebraska starts to throw the ball (I can't believe I just typed that) and it doesn't work. Its the year Texas...yes Texas finally beats Oklahoma. Its the year that the MAC (whom I really like) falls back into their old ways and doesn't show up like they did last yeaar.

What are your presdictions? Who's your teams? Football is back, rejoice!!! :D

drothgery

First Post
My teams... well, they're Syracuse (by virtue of spending seven years living in upstate NY), and Ohio State (by virtue of being born in Ohio), but living out west these days the only conference that it's at all practical to follow is the Pac-10. Besides, Pac-10 football is fun to watch.

It's the year that Paul Pasqualoni finally gets fired at Syracuse, despite Walter Reyes putting up Heisman-worthy numbers (to keep my fellow F-M grad Damien Rhodes from taking playing time from him), as my Orange sputter to a 6-5 season.

I'll go contra to Crothian here and say that Nebraksa will have some success throwing the ball... not to start with (though their defense will win a few games for them anyway), but by the end of the year they'll be doing okay with something like the Packers' run-heavy variant of the West Coast Offense.

Krieg

First Post
Crothian said:
But its the year the Buckeyes win back the Big Ten.
If Ross can stay healthy OR if one of the freshman step up (Haw, Pittman) and if Zwick can give a steady performance I agree 100%.

BTW Schlagel is going to be a monster. :)

drothgery

First Post
Crothian said:
So, after last niughtys game is USC just waiting to be upset or is Virgian Tech a bit better then everyone thought?
Neither. USC's just very young along the line and at reciever. Once Leinart and the kids he's throwing the ball to found their rhythm, the game was over. With four games until they face anyone who's even as good as VPI, let alone better, the Trojans will be fine. And the Hokies are still a middle-of-the-pack team in the ACC, at best.

Gadodel

First Post
Crothian said:
Its the year Nebraska starts to throw the ball (I can't believe I just typed that) and it doesn't work.

That's a big, big fear here in the state.

An entirely new coaching staff...with a new coaching philosophy.
A young quarterback.
A defense that may be overwhelmed with the task of scoring a few touchdowns *each* game.

Every team we'll be playing will smell the blood in the water and want to tear away as much red flesh as possible. I don't blame'em, the Huskers have a long, long tradition of winning.

Crothian

First Post
Well, their first two games against West Ill and Southern Miss should provide two easy wins and give them the game practice they need.

Gadodel

First Post
A lot of fans are thinking that too. Three problems with that mindset:
1. Underestimating a team that is actually paid to come and play!
2. It could be a PR disaster, the team needs to come out prepared-really prepared and win over the mob...er, the fans. Fan support here is as important as any touchdown.
3. The team will be showing what they've got-against presumably underclassed programs, to programs out there that are quite good. Oklahoma, Texas etc will be watching...very, very closely.

This is a lot of pressure to put on the team, but; it is a sad fact.

One or two interceptions or missteps could be the first domino to fall...

Krieg

First Post
drothgery said:
Neither. USC's just very young along the line and at reciever. Once Leinart and the kids he's throwing the ball to found their rhythm, the game was over. With four games until they face anyone who's even as good as VPI, let alone better, the Trojans will be fine. And the Hokies are still a middle-of-the-pack team in the ACC, at best.
Actually I would say both. Virginia Tech is a solid team that will likely finish around .500 in a very tough conference. USC is blessed with a cake wake schedule that will likely give them a free pass like Miami & FSU enjoyed in the 80's/early 90's.

The game was over when with the bad offensive pass interference call. You could visibly see the Hookie players deflate at that point. Virginia Tech outplayed USC for almost the entire game. Reggie Bush saved the game for the Trojans. He is an outstanding player, but the #1 team in the country shouldn't have to rely on their top RB to take up the slack at WR as well...

Remove ads