• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Collegiate wizard, feedback please!

bestone

First Post
Hey there, i just whipped up this prestige class, its a college type wizard, inspired
by the feat with the same name, please tell me what you think. Its the first prestige
class i've created and any information will be greatly appreciated.

Collegiate wizard

Requirements:
Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks
Feats: Collegiate wizard, spell focus (any), spell mastery (any)
Spells: Ability to prepare 3rd level wizard spells

Level Bab Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting

1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Spell storing 1 +1 level of wizard
2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Improved saves +1 level of wizard
3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 Spell focus +1 level of wizard
4th +2 +1 +1 +4 Spell storing 2 +1 level of wizard
5th +2 +1 +1 +4 Improved saves +1 level of wizard
6th +3 +2 +2 +5 Spell focus +1 level of wizard
7th +3 +2 +2 +5 Spell storing 3 +1 level of wizard
8th +4 +2 +2 +6 Improved saves +1 level of wizard
9th +4 +3 +3 +6 Spell focus +1 level of wizard
10th +5 +3 +3 +7 Spell storing 4 +1 level of wizard

Spell storing: The wizard has learned to store unused spellpower in such a way that he can carry over some of his unused power from one day to the next. For each spell storing level the character has (marked 1, 2, 3, and 4) the character may "save" one unused spell of the given level for the next day. For example, Marko the mage has spell storing 1 and 2, at the end of the day he has yet to cast any spells, and thus can "carry over" one level 1 spell memorized, and one level 2 spell memorized to the next day. He cant change the spell memorized in the slot, but he does gain it in addition to his normal slots for the day.

Improved saves: The Collegiate wizard is so familiar with the workings of magical spells and effects that he gains a +1 enhancement bonus to any one of his saves versus spells or spell like effects. These bonuses stack.

Spell focus: at 3rd, 6th, and 9th level, the character gains a bonus spell focus feat in any school of his choice.

Last edited:

green slime

First Post
Why? Why is it so difficult?

Almost no requirements to get into, and gives up next to nothing (loses familiar advancement, and two bonus Wizard feats), to get much, much more.

bestone

First Post
green slime said:

Almost no requirements to get into, and gives up next to nothing (loses familiar advancement, and two bonus Wizard feats), to get much, much more.

YEP, seems to be in line with most other prestige classes to me

green slime said:

Did you not read this part of the OP:

bestone said:
Its the first prestige
class i've created and any information will be greatly appreciated.

Try to be helpful, at least.

The class does look a little overpowered, but Spell Storing is hardly gamebreaking. I'd say if the improved saves were removed, the class would be fine.

Edit: Maybe should consider limiting Spell Storing to 3rd level as well.

Darklone

Do I understand spell storing correctly that he gains effectively one additional spell slot for the first 4 levels? Even if he loses this advantage during heavy dungeoncrawling with not many spells left each day, it's awfully strong.

I'd give the +1 bonus to saves against any school for which the char has the Spell Focus feat (thus they won't stack with each other).

During 10 levels he loses 2-3 wizard bonus feats and gains three Spell Focus feats... That's a sacrifice I'm happy with, he won't be able to take many Metamagic feats.

You might grant him additional spells learnt each level but I think the Coll Wiz feat is strong enough in that regard.

bestone

First Post
Notmousse said:
Why stop at all kinds of magical power? You can give them a 1.5 BAB advancement, and all good saves, and D20s for HD!

Why thank you, your oh so very nice arent you?

Whats with forum people being so angry? sheesh

I modelled this class after the mage killer prestige class, i thought it was pretty close, the saves and school focus is from it, they just get a different third ability

if you think that spell storing is too much, im more than willing to drop it to 3 only, and take the saves away

Like i said (and thanks fifth element for noticing) its my first try at this

btw, just for information, im going to have quite an upkeep for this class in gold, probably 25gp per month per class level in fee's for being part of the "college", any input on that?

how bout this version

Collegiate wizard

Requirements:
Skills: Spellcraft 8 ranks
Feats: Collegiate wizard, spell focus (any), spell mastery (any)
Spells: Ability to prepare 3rd level wizard spells

Level Bab Fort Ref Will Special Spellcasting

1st +0 +0 +0 +2 Upkeep, spell focus +1 level of wizard
2nd +1 +0 +0 +3 Improved saves +1 level of wizard
3rd +1 +1 +1 +3 ------------- +1 level of wizard
4th +2 +1 +1 +4 Spell storing 0 +1 level of wizard
5th +2 +1 +1 +4 Improved saves +1 level of wizard
6th +3 +2 +2 +5 Spell focus +1 level of wizard
7th +3 +2 +2 +5 Spell storing 1 +1 level of wizard
8th +4 +2 +2 +6 ----------- +1 level of wizard
9th +4 +3 +3 +6 Spell focus +1 level of wizard
10th +5 +3 +3 +7 Spell storing 2 +1 level of wizard

Upkeep: upon gaining the first level in collegiate wizard the character has to pay a college
"fee". This fee is considered the characters tuition which gives him access to the knowledge
that helps him advance in his endeavors. The fee is equal to 25gp x the character level per month. Failure to pay this fee simply means the character can not advance another collegiate wizard level, untill all fee's are paid in full.

Last edited:

Sound of Azure

Contemplative Soul
You may want to look at the Mage of the Arcane Order from Complete Arcane for inspiration. It seems to have a similar idea to your class.

Personally, I'd make the spell storing somewhat inefficient. For example, if your had a 3rd-level spell slot left over, you could power a 1st level spell the following day.

Regarding the improved Spell Saves, Saving throws don't typically get enhancment bonuses. I'd make it a competence bonus or resistance bonus, and restrit it to a single saving throw that the Collegiate wizard chooses.

You might consider allowing the wizard to gain more "free" spells added to the wizards spellbook at each Collegiate wizard level, since they're part of a wizardly society. I'd use this to replace wither the saving throw bonus, or the Spell focuses.

Being part of an organisation, you might gain a bonus on social rolls when interating with members of the college at higher levels.

Just thinking some more about the spell storing...I don't think it's all that powerful. A character will have to be 5th level before taking this PrC (to get 3rd level spells), and by the original version, would get an occasional bonus 4th-level spell when reaching 10th level in the PrC, by which time he's at least 15th character level.

I see you've toned it down to a 2nd-level spell at 10th class level, but I think 3rd would be fine. Even 4th might be defensible, but maybe not. A sometimes-bonus 2nd level spell slot doesn't mean much to a 15th-level character.

Notmousse

First Post
Not angry in the least, but honestly did you try to make it balanced when you put it together?

A PrC is to give up a bit in one area, and gain some in another area. Not give up practically nil and gain heaps of abilities.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads