• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Combat Advantage at range

Kzach

Banned
Banned
I recall ages ago a thread that mentioned that if a mob was flanked, that everyone, no matter if they were the ones flanking the mob, got combat advantage against it.

But there is no indication of this (that I can find) in the rules.

Anyone able to clarify this? Would make ranged rogues a lot more viable.

Kordeth

First Post
I recall ages ago a thread that mentioned that if a mob was flanked, that everyone, no matter if they were the ones flanking the mob, got combat advantage against it.

But there is no indication of this (that I can find) in the rules.

Anyone able to clarify this? Would make ranged rogues a lot more viable.

Either the thread was incorrect, or you're misremembering. PHB p. 285 is clear, you only gain combat advantage against an enemy you flank.

However, while flanking requires you to be adjacent to an enemy, it does not require you to be wielding a melee weapon. If you're willing to suck up the OA (or if you flank with a defender who can discourage OAs against you), you can flank somebody with a ranged weapon and gain combat advantage as you shoot them in the face at point-blank range. Maybe that's what you were remembering?

baberg

First Post
I'm pretty sure that only the PCs flanking the enemy get combat advantage, since Flanking specifically states that you have to be adjacent to the enemy.

Also, on page 280 we see the conditions under which a target grants CA, and it specifically states "Flanked by the attacker", so no, no flanking at range.

DLichen

First Post
There are more ways to get CA than flanking. A ranged rogue should make use of stealth checks (however your DM runs them, you are definitely going to get CA off a success) and status effects to get CA. So even if flanking doesn't work while you're not adjacent, it's still not undoable to get CA at a range.

And just wanted to point out again, as long as you can attack and are in position, you can flank, simply because you would be hardpressed to not threaten with an improvised weapon of some sort.

yu gnomi

Explorer
As far as I know flanking has no affect on ranged attacks. A rogue can still ranged attack with combat advantage via First Strike class feature, by successfully hiding prior to attack, or by selecting victims under the influence of powers which cause them to grant combat advantage.

Paul Strack

First Post
Cover + Stealth is the best way to get CA at range. All but the most conservative interpretation of the Stealth rules makes it pretty easy to get ranged CA unless the battlefield is completely open. My rogue rarely has a problem with it.

She does prefer to get in close, though, because her rapier does better damage than her shurikens.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads