Combat Expertise, Fighting Defensively, Total Defense--combos

Infiniti2000

First Post
Total defense is separate. It cannot be combined with the other two. Combat Expertise and Fighting Defensively can be combined, but you must take the attack or full attack action.

Total Defense is it's own action.

Combat Expertise and Fighting Defensively are options that you may elect to use whenever you use the Attack or Full Attack action.

Accordingly, you have the following options:

1. Full Defense and no attacks
  2. Combat Expertise with a Full Attack or Attack
  3. Fighting Defensively with a Full Attack or Attack
  4. Both Combat Expertise and Fighting Defensively with a Full Attack or Attack

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Always keeping in mind that Combat Expertise requires you be using the attack or full attack action in melee, of course.

-Hyp.

Phaedrus

First Post
Isn't a bit strange that you can get a better AC bonus making attacks than you can making none (i.e., that Expertise + Fighting Defensively is better than Total Defense)?

Phaedrus said:
Isn't a bit strange that you can get a better AC bonus making attacks than you can making none (i.e., that Expertise + Fighting Defensively is better than Total Defense)?

Nope. For someone who's well-trained enough, they're better at keeping their opponent at bay by keeping up some semblance of attack, rather than just cowering behind their shield.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Phaedrus said:
Yes, explained nicely by Patryn. Note that you don't always have the ability to attack someone in melee, though, so it is not always the better choice. Also, there are times you might not want to give up 5 points in your BAB because you want to be able to make an effective AoO elsewhere. One other point is that the AC bonus for CE and fighting defensively don't kick into until you attack. If you need the AC bonus beforehand, it won't help you reach your goal.

Last edited:

Phaedrus

First Post
I don't think Total Defense means cowering behind your shield. It means devoting all of your combat ability to defense, not attacking, but rather focusing on deflecting incoming attacks.

You've seen it in swashbuckling movies, where the "master" is toying with a lesser swordsman, making no attacks but easily deflecting everything the lesser throws at him (making witty comments as well).

I suppose the argument could be made that this is exactly what Combat Expertise is, but I'm still not sold on Total Defense being less defense-effective than attacking (but then again, the maxim is "The best defense is a good offense", so maybe I'm just flat out wrong).

Phaedrus said:
I don't think Total Defense means cowering behind your shield.

Anyone can use the Total Defense option.

You've seen it in swashbuckling movies, where the "master" is toying with a lesser swordsman

I suppose the argument could be made that this is exactly what Combat Expertise is,

It takes special training to be that Master.

Ergo, what that Master is doing is Combat Expertise.

Remove ads