• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) Comeliness and Representation in Recent DnD Art

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Extremely high brow arches, prominent cheekbones, pointed nose, earthy color scheme, and doing magic. All things that could be found on a human character, but which in concert do evoke elvishness at least to some degree.
None of that stuff says this is an elf to me without the ears.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
You’re telling me that elf doesn’t have a distinctive appearance?
Google "fantasy Elf image" (then filter to remove Santa's Elves) and while many of them do look distinctive, many others look just like Humans with pointy ears.
Elves live a bajillion years, have inherent magical abilities and a connection to fae creatures. Dwarves are preternaturally strong and tough, have an inherent connection to the earth, and are usually uncannily crafty.
To the bolded: untrue, ever since their inherent boosts to Strength and Constitution went away.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Just for fun, I decided to edit the ears out of the Daggerheart illustration. Does this still look like an elf to people (i.e., does it have a "distinctively elvish" look), and if so, why?

Speaking for myself, I'm pretty sure I would assume this was a human if I saw this illustration with no context.

View attachment 357570
I'd think Hobbit, only one that has somehow had to have both its left limbs replaced.

Remove ads