• I am female and am indifferent to cross gender characters

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • I am female and am comfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 17 4.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gez

First Post
What's the difference between "indifference" and "comfort"? If someone is indifferent to playing both male and female characters, then s/he's comfortable with both, isn't s/he?

Rystil Arden

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Heh, that hasn't been the problem, in my games they have just generally not been very good in cross gender roles. (Either way, for some reason both male and female players seem to be caricatures more than characters in cross gender roles...with only one or two exceptions)

The Auld Grump
I still don't think that my cross-gender PCs are caricatures...

::sigh::

It seems like I'm in the minority though.

diaglo

Adventurer
Vanuslux said:
I'm male and rather indifferent to it for the most part...but it has been my experience that a lot of people who play the opposite gender frequently are often problem players...attention mongers and troublemakers.

ditto.

orsal

LEW Judge
ShadeMoon64 said:
I have had players work with cross gender characters for years. It has been my experience that more males play females than the reverse. This may just bea function of the demographics of my players.

Is that more proportionally or more numerically? Given that there are significantly more men/boys in the hobby than women/girls, it would be expected that there are numerically more men playing women than vice versa, but is a male player more likely to be playing a female character than vice versa?

Kanegrundar

Explorer
I've played several female characters over the years. I have no problem with it. Just because I'm playing a gal doesn't mean a thing.

Kane

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I voted "indifferent". I'm actually comfortable doing it, but I'm very aware that I don't do it well.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Vanuslux said:
I'm male and rather indifferent to it for the most part...but it has been my experience that a lot of people who play the opposite gender frequently are often problem players...attention mongers and troublemakers.
Ditto++

Heh. I thought the poll was asking if I was comfortable with cross-dressing and transgender characters!

I suppose the answer for either is "yes."

evildmguy

Explorer
I haven't voted because I am not sure where I am.

I have no problem with people playing a character that is a different gender from themselves.

HOWEVER

I have a problem when, in the course of that person playing a character of a different gender, that I don't remember they are playing a different gender. I think this is because if they are going to play something different, I think it is up to them to remind me that they aren't playing "the norm." They need to say or do things that fit the character, and therefore will show the gender.

That's just me, though.

Have a good one! Take care!

edg

Inconsequenti-AL

Breaks Games
I'm comfortable with it. Unless it's a well roleplayed character I do find it hard to visualise sometimes. Only had one player give me problems with this over the years, he was immature and rather perverted - he'd make a pigs ear out of anything he tried to play.

I have far bigger problems with kender/halfling kender characters - they tend to annoy the heck out of me.

Occasionally play female PCs, but not my usual thing and I'm not great at it. Sometimes it just fits the concept I'm going for - my favorite was an evil star wars journalist - based on a certain blonde haried and right leaning US political pundit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads