• I am female and am indifferent to cross gender characters

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • I am female and am comfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 17 4.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
A significant number of Americans love to lampoon the Nazis, to turn them into tragic comedy figures, or to use them as safe villains.

A very small proportion idealize them — about the same proportions as in Germany, so I have read — but here, they make the news. Regularly. And are very vocal in their political movements.

Reich Star, for example, is a decent game, and a "What if the Nazis had won WWII and then discovered a hyperdrive in the 21st C." It paints them as "still evil"... and predicates fighting them in the flavor text. My players, including a Jew and a Romany, plus me being ethnically and religiously Ukrainian, chose to play resistance hiding inside the SS Totenkopfverbande. Yes, the most evil, vile, despicable portion... for the cathartic pleasure of being able to take down the 3rd reich from the top. (It also is the game that made me decide some things are, in fact, best left to a fade to black and make a roll.)

Unlike gender issues, few people I've met mind lampooning the Nazis. Make them out to be untermenschen, and all's right.

But that, too, is changing in tolerance levels in places I'm gaming.

I think chances are fairly good that Hitler's evil would not be carried too many generations past his natural lifetime, you might at some point get a Fuhrer that is not interested in starting a war or killing people, but merely in preserving his power, or perhaps maintaining the Reich as it is. Just as it is, if you start out with a good King, you won't always have a good king inheriting the throne, so too would it work with Fuhrers, Hitler was undoubtable evil, but for whomever follows him or the one that comes after the next one, that might not necessarily be the case. If the Nazi regime conquered the World, there would be no one after that left to conquer, so no more wars. There are also only so many Jews to kill, and its likely that a couple generations after Hitler's natural lifespan, a future Fuhrer might not be so fanatical in killing them, some might just be interested in further developing the Empire.

There was nothing about the way the Third Reich was structured which would require his Hitler's successors to carry out Hitler's Final Solution ad infinitum. I think it is safe to say that by the 21st century, Hitler himself would likely be dead, Himmler would likely be dead as well as any historical character that we would be familiar with. I think a future Reich, would not be all that different from a Future Roman Empire that also managed to survive lone enough to travel in space. Old empires tend to get conservative, it would not be governed by a risk take like Hitler was, it would instead be someone who is interested in preserving the Empire rather than taking huge risks to greatly expand it. And expanding an empire in space would likely involve settling uninhabited rocks in the Solar System, requiring settlers not soldiers waging wars of conquest.

A Reich in an alternate Traveler Universe would involve the Reich contending with the First Imperium, the result might be similar to the Rule of Man. By the time a time traveler got to the equivalent of 1100 Imperial, the main thing that would be noticed would be everyone speaking German instead of English. An inhabitant of that timeline, might not look kindly on someone trying to change the timeline back to what it was, they might acknowledge the evil that went on in their Empire's founding, but would insist that it has nothing to do with their current generation.

3000 years later, there would not be much left of the original Third Reich, there might be an empire, but that empire would likely have little in common with the Third Reich at the time it was founded. Not to whitewash history, The Holocaust and World War II were terrible, and I certainly would not want them to win, but three thousand years later, the policies that survived would be those policies which would maintain the empire and its power structures, this won't necessarily be exceptionally evil or good. Even the Star Wars' Galactic Empire, which was based in some aspects on the Third Reich model, didn't last this long!

The Third Reich was unstable, it had no unifying culture, it probably would not have lasted even a century, even if Hitler was successful in everything he set out to do.

Thomas Bowman

First Post
[Self-censorship]

Yes, a lot of Germans learned to do that during the days of the Third Reich, especially when they did not agree with the Fuhrer, they kept their opinions about him and what he was doing to themselves, if they wanted to go on breathing. I have not developed that reflex, especially since I did not grow up in a police state. Since you folks insist on talking about the Germans and World War II, I thought I'd just add in my two cents, that's all.

We could create another thread about what the World would be like if the Germans won World War II, if you want. If history is any guide, most empires have had limited impact on history. The classic Empire that comes closest to what the Third Reich would have been like if the Germans won World War II would be the Empire of Alexander. Unlike the Roman Empire, the Alexandrian Empire was not built upon firm foundations, it was built by one man, and after that man died, it quickly fell apart, that is probably what would have happened to the Third Reich after Hitler's death.

If Hitler's empire were to last a long time, it would have had to change it's institutions and philosophy to create a more stable regime. Hitler's empire wasn't not stable, it was a giant personality cult, and when the person that cult was based on died, there would be a succession crises, with various leaders fighting over who would be the next Fuhrer. the Historical Third Reich had just two, the second one lasted just long enough to surrender what remained of the Third Reich to the Allies.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Dönitz

Last edited:

Riley37

First Post
where you can't walk a few blocks without literally tripping over a reminder of how terrible the Nazis were

I have walked a few blocks, in Munich, without literally tripping over any such reminders.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that two plus two makes four. If that is granted, all else follows." - George Orwell, greatest virtue signaller of his generation. You would *hate* his insistence on factual accuracy, if he were an EN World participant. Do let us know, if you ever come up with any objective, verifiable reality related to your assertions in previous posts.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

We are not into Germans and Nazis and not a whole lot about gaming.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads