• I am female and am indifferent to cross gender characters

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • I am female and am comfortable with cross gender characters

Votes: 17 4.4%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagpuss

Legend
Which leads me to ask, what difference does it make whether the board's servers are in the US, the UK, Canada, or <insert some other random country here>. The board's owner is in the UK, which AFAIC makes this a UK-based board.

The speech laws in the UK suck.

I watched Black Panther and though it was a fine bit of entertainment. In so doing I also cast aside any real-world politics and-or other considerations in favour of placing the story in the Marvel-world.

Weird, as Black Panther and to greater extent Marvel comics (and some of it's other films) are comments on real-world politics.

Bagpuss

Legend
When was the last time we saw some Blacks, Hispanic and Asian Nazi's in a WW2 PC game? ....crickets....

Call of Duty World War 2, is famously so progressive it has black Nazis, so about seven months ago.

Last edited:

Riley37

First Post
Why would I know this? I've interacted with you in two threads now.

When I make a point, and then make an aside, and you respond vehemently to the aside, then we can tell you're dodging the point. You might be fooling yourself, but not anyone else.

While there is a difference between "censored by the government" and "censored by society", either way the end is the same, your voice is not heard.

Go on, tell Boris Pasternak and Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn that being imprisoned is the same outcome as being disinvited as a convention's Guest of Honor. Tell Derek Black that widespread social disapproval of Stormfront has the same outcome as a government-enforced shut-down of Stormfront. You've demonstrated your ratio of ideology to objective reality; from here on, the rest is trivial.

Because all of that happebed to the developers at CDPR

Strong claims require strong evidence. Where's your evidence of anyone sending death threats, rape threats, or doxxing personal information? I'm aware of one attempt to squeeze money out of CDPR, via a threat of publishing their game content. That's not the same as what happened to Felicia Day or Leslie Jones, neither in kind nor in volume.

Not everyone throwing hate at Tran (and the others) is Right. I'm sure there are plenty of lefties throwing as much hate at her (and the others) for no good reason (because that's how people operate).

Strong claims require strong evidence. "I'm sure" and "that's how people operate" are not strong evidence.

I followed that link you provided, about the "Amended Act on the Institute of National Remembrance". The details provided in that link don't match your summary. On one hand, the Polish Minister of Justice said "There will be no punishment for witnesses of history, scholars or journalists who quote painful facts from our history." Such a reassuring declaration! On another hand, if you watch whether the walk matches the talk - it doesn't. There's already a case in progress, against an Argentine newspaper, Pagina 12, for an article about the Jedwabne pogrom, a 1941 massacre of more than 300 Jews by their Polish neighbors during the Nazi occupation.

In the Polish Nationalist version of the Official Story, anything bad was done entirely by either the occupying Reich, or by the subsequent Soviet occupation, and there's not a drop of blood on Poland's collective hands. The ruling Polish nationalist party isn't tolerating divergence from the Official Story. Oh, those pesky historical facts, they so often conflict with Official Stories...

Don't care either as it isn't something I find to be a worrying absence.

Wow. So you don't see any importance, in whether Geralt considers the life of a non-Polish human as equal in value to the life of a Polish human. Well then. Some Polish people, in Warsaw under the Reich, shared your opinion, and did not find the disappearance of Turks, Roma, Jews, etc. to be a worrying absence. I guess those particular Poles grew up on stories like The Witcher. Meanwhile, other Polish individuals, such as the Jan and Antonina Żabiński, acted on... shall we say... different values than yours. They saw non-Polish humans as people whose lives mattered, whose absence would be worrying. See also, "Black Panther", in which T'challa compromises the NO OUTSIDERS rule, in order to save a white man's life.

If you can't see the difference between a story which portrays ethno-nationalism as a flawed ideology, with tragic outcomes, an ideology which the hero questions and defies;

versus a story which wallows in ethno-nationalism;

if you accuse me of hypocrisy, for supporting the former, and not the latter;

then I have nothing further to say, because you already can't listen.

Sadras

Legend
You do realize that there are lots and lots of reasons for that?

Of course as there are lots and lots of reasons for Witcher having an all-white cast.

Also, there are enough games, movies etc. out there that deal with all the major axis powers (including the Japanese), even if they tend to exclude brief members (Romania, Iraq...)

Is your position being that we do not have enough fantasy games? Or is it fair to pick on the 1 Polish-influenced game?

On a second thought, we did get Nazi aliens in Star Trek... twice!

Ok, not sure how that relates.

Sadras

Legend
Call of Duty World War 2, is famously so progressive it has black Nazis, so about seven months ago.

I read on the wiki that players are only allowed to play Wehrmacht (military), rather than Waffen-SS (Nazi's) in an effort to avoid 'glorifying' Nazi extremists. So are you saying the game has black Waffen-SS in the campaign mode? That is funny and so wrong.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I read on the wiki that players are only allowed to play Wehrmacht (military), rather than Waffen-SS (Nazi's) in an effort to avoid 'glorifying' Nazi extremists. So are you saying the game has black Waffen-SS in the campaign mode? That is funny and so wrong.

It reminds me of Mel Brooks’ The Producers. When it is staged, they often have a lot of fun with the musical number, “Springtime for Hitler”. When it was last performed here in D/FW, there was a black cast-member in the front row of dancing, high-kicking SS officers. Effing hilarious!

Bagpuss

Legend

Nah, they aren't that crazy. It is just in the multiplayer mode, and you might be right it being just the Wehrmacht. It's because they let you customise the character.

I don't know why they didn't just do what I think one publisher did, you always see your side and the "good guys" and the other side as the terrorist/nazis. I guess because of all the customisation of the guns and stuff.

Lylandra

Adventurer
Of course as there are lots and lots of reasons for Witcher having an all-white cast.

Is your position being that we do not have enough fantasy games? Or is it fair to pick on the 1 Polish-influenced game?

Ok, not sure how that relates.

These reasons are very, very, very different and I don't wish to write an essay about the hows and whys and also would love to not Godwin the thread about freakin' cross-gender play any further.

FYI, I'm German and we tend to have very strong opinions on Nazis and how to represent them in the media. I'm also very astonished every time I see how people from other (most often non-european) countries almost fetishize this dark aspect of the 20th century to the extend that we see Nazis and Nazi references everywhere.

Sadras

Legend
These reasons are very, very, very different and I don't wish to write an essay about the hows and whys and also would love to not Godwin the thread about freakin' cross-gender play any further.

No worries. I was merely defending Witcher. I feel to pick (not you) on 1 Polish-influenced game was rather unfair.

FYI, I'm German and we tend to have very strong opinions on Nazis and how to represent them in the media. I'm also very astonished every time I see how people from other (most often non-european) countries almost fetishize this dark aspect of the 20th century to the extend that we see Nazis and Nazi references everywhere.

Understood and agree. For the record I'm European I happen to be living in South Africa - plenty Germans down here, including 1 at my table :)

Riley37

First Post
I watched Black Panther and though it was a fine bit of entertainment. In so doing I also cast aside any real-world politics and-or other considerations in favour of placing the story in the Marvel-world.

Well, on one hand, do what works for you. On another hand, in casting aside those considerations, you cast aside some of the most well-executed layers of the story. Eric's request, to be buried at sea, because he cast his lot with those who died in the Middle Passage - neither in Africa, nor in the Americas, betwixt and between - carries additional emotional weight, in the context of such considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads