Coming in May: Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes! [UPDATED!]

So they just gave the title and showed the cover mock-ups; no specific info till Monday?

lkj

Hero
Based on recent D&D Beyond interviews, I’m expecting we’ll get info on the Gith vs. Illithid conflict, the Corellon vs. Gruumsh vs. Lolth conflict among others. New Race options ate mentioned, which I’m sure means the Gith race and various elf subraces that we’ve seen in UA. Fingers crossed that one of the conflicts covered is Eberron’s Last War, which would be an excuse to get Warforged in an official published product at least, and maybe some other Eberron races as well. I would be thrilled if Nentir Vale’s Dawn War gets a mention. That would actually be a good excuse for them to include the Shadar-Kai, since they really have little to no connection to the Corellon/Gruumsh/Lolth conflict but are closely tied to the Raven Queen, who is from that pantheon originally.

I'm thinking Eberron doesn't get much attention in this book. I think Mike was hinting strongly at that in the stream when he said that Mordenkainen would probably tell you that Eberron was a myth. He went on for a bit about how hard it is to get to Eberron, that not everyone is sure it really exists.

But I also think this is because they are going to announce an Eberron book this summer. They hinted at it. Stewart even went as far as to say 'I'm not going to talk about that right now' when he saw an Eberron question on the chat.

Now, could be I'm wrong and Eberron isn't planned for a year. But it would seem odd that they would basically tease Eberron only to say "you're not getting any Eberron". More likely that we're not getting it now but we'll get our fill before the end of the year.

Mind you, I'm totally just speculating wildly. Because they also both said that they are really excited about this year and that they would be announcing things that we wouldn't expect.

So. We'll see. All in good fun regardless!

AD

I assume it's inevitable that there'll be large swathes of text devoted to the Blood War.

But I'll buy the book anyway. :p

Last edited by a moderator:

lkj

Hero
Probably also worth mentioning that they teased some big announcements for DM's Guild in the coming months that they seemed excited about. I'm guessing, based on the conversation, that they will be opening up additional properties beyond FR and Ravenloft.

AD

generic

On that metempsychosis tweak
Cool product, my guess is that it will give us not only nice maps of planar areas as well as details and more races, it will also give us stat blocks for creatures who are planar rulers.

Definitely on my want list. My only concern is that if they made a planar book, I was hoping for some more celestials, and the title and descriptions are not inspiring in that regard.

BMaC

Adventurer
Twelve octavos, exact same length as Xanathar's. Also, the use of greatest conflicts in the multiverse gives me a glimmer of hope that there is some proper high level material for 5e finally.

Irda Ranger

First Post
Hmmmmm. I guess we'll see when we get more information on Monday. I wasn't exactly chomping at the bit for more demon types or elf sub-races.

Prakriti

Hi, I'm a Mindflayer, but don't let that worry you
EDIT: Misread the product description. This book is 192 pages, not 292.

EDIT #2: The book is actually 256 pages, according to Jeremy Crawford on Twitter.

Last edited by a moderator:

neobolts

Explorer
"Not monster manual 3" is good. I hope it functions for both players and DMs...a sort of "Mordenkainen's Guide to Planehopping" (which would be a better and more whimsical title)

Probably also worth mentioning that they teased some big announcements for DM's Guild in the coming months that they seemed excited about. I'm guessing, based on the conversation, that they will be opening up additional properties beyond FR and Ravenloft.

AD

I'm extremely excited about that! In fact, when someone asked if the changes would be "more WotC products or policy changes that would help publishers", he said it wouldn't be WotC, and that the changes (plural, I did pay attention to that) would "open up more options for content" or something very close to that. Now, it could mean a lot of different things, but opening up DMs Guild to more settings - Planescape in particular - is at the top of my wish list.

Remove ads

Remove ads