• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Comments on Chapter 4

Wyvern

Explorer
Since the thread on Chapter 4 is so long, I'm starting a new thread to give my feedback. I know barsoomcore is planning to edit the chapter himself, but the comments I have to make are mostly pretty broad and not likely to be affected by whatever changes he makes. In fact, some of them are things he may need or want to take into consideration when he does his editing.

Overall, I really like this chapter. I'm especially impressed that you managed to fit all the rules into only five pages.

I already brought this up once, but just in case it hasn't been addressed yet, I'll mention it again: Hardness should not be size-dependent.

In Step 2, there's no explanation of the Lift column on table 2.

I think that instead of taking maximum hit points at first level and rolling the rest normally, vehicles should have average hit points for their hit dice just like any monster. Otherwise you end up having to roll and add up hundreds of dice for the larger ones, which is no fun at all. Also, you can end up with otherwise identical vehicles having wildly different hit points, which doesn't make sense. To find the average hit points, take half the hit die size and add 0.5, then multiply by the number of hit dice (rounding down) and adjust for Con.

In step 4, paragraph 2, you wrote: "It's a good guideline to try for a number of movement points and speed points equal to the lowest number of hit dice a vehicle of that size can have." Did you mean to say "maneuverability points" instead of "movement points"?

I wasn't sure what the difference was between Engine and Drive components until I looked through the component list for defintions. I think you should try to find a different name for the Drive components to avoid confusion. Also, in the component list Engine components are called Engineering components. I think the first term is more accurate.

In step 5, under AC, you wrote that "The total Armor Class modifier for a vehicle is essentially the armor modifier for the vehicle." I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. It seems to be saying that only armor bonuses apply to the vehicle's AC, which is not true (there's also the size modifier, for one).

Under Crew, you say "Add up all crew scores for the vehicle's components," which is somewhat misleading since later you say that not all components count towards the crew score.

I love the idea of design foci; it's a nice touch and something I would never have thought of myself.

At some point it would be good to add rules for modifying existing vehicles.

I haven't read the component list yet, but I'll get around to that eventually, and I'll fill in the tech and magic levels when I do.

Wyvern

Last edited:

BlackJaw

First Post
Wyvern said:
Since the thread on Chapter 4 is so long, I'm starting a new thread to give my feedback. I know barsoomcore is planning to edit the chapter himself, but the comments I have to make are mostly pretty broad and not likely to be affected by whatever changes he makes. In fact, some of them are things he may need or want to take into consideration when he does his editing.

Overall, I really like this chapter. I'm especially impressed that you managed to fit all the rules into only five pages.
I think it might need another 2 pages or so because I know I left some things out

I already brought this up once, but just in case it hasn't been addressed yet, I'll mention it again: Hardness should not be size-dependent.
Ok, it will be based off hull material with a component that increases them by +5 if you want more.

In Step 2, there's no explanation of the Lift column on table 2.
Like I said, I forgot some things. The lift multiplier has to do with your max lift ratting (based on STR) and as per standard D&D rules, size works as a multiplier.

I think that instead of taking maximum hit points at first level and rolling the rest normally, vehicles should have average hit points for their hit dice just like any monster. Otherwise you end up having to roll and add up hundreds of dice for the larger ones, which is no fun at all. Also, you can end up with otherwise identical vehicles having wildly different hit points, which doesn't make sense. To find the average hit points, take half the hit die size and add 0.5, then multiply by the number of hit dice (rounding down) and adjust for Con.
Ok easy enough, and makes sense.

In step 4, paragraph 2, you wrote: "It's a good guideline to try for a number of movement points and speed points equal to the lowest number of hit dice a vehicle of that size can have." Did you mean to say "maneuverability points" instead of "movement points"?
Yah, I do a lot of writing late and night and sometimes I slip.

I wasn't sure what the difference was between Engine and Drive components until I looked through the component list for defintions. I think you should try to find a different name for the Drive components to avoid confusion. Also, in the component list Engine components are called Engineering components. I think the first term is more accurate.
see last comment

In step 5, under AC, you wrote that "The total Armor Class modifier for a vehicle is essentially the armor modifier for the vehicle." I'm not sure what this is supposed to mean. It seems to be saying that only armor bonuses apply to the vehicle's AC, which is not true (there's also the size modifier, for one).
The armor modifiers you build up when making a craft represent the armor platting and toughness of the hull and count as only the "armor modifier" in the vehicle's over all armor class ratting (10 + size + natural armor + armor including sheilds + enhancments + deflection + etc) Once agian my terms get a little confusing because I slip when typing.

Under Crew, you say "Add up all crew scores for the vehicle's components," which is somewhat misleading since later you say that not all components count towards the crew score.
What I should be saying is that only components that are required for vehicle operations (engine, power, etc) should even have crew scores... It may take 3 people to run a crossbow but having no one on that crossbow isn't going to make the vehicle any harder to use. Having fewer people to work the sails of a vehicle is much worse.

I love the idea of design foci; it's a nice touch and something I would never have thought of myself.
I think I got that idea when taking your idea about vehilce construction way back when, so the credit is only mostly mine :) Now the question is: do we make a Design Focus a feat... as in a vehicle only gets one if it being build by a person with that focus... you can have more then one focus, but each is a seperate feat, and only one can still be applied to a vehicle. Changing a focus can not be done after the vehicle is built (even when repaired).

At some point it would be good to add rules for modifying existing vehicles.
Like I said, I left some things out. For example: vehicle cost, build times, tools needed, and the cost for removing a component or adding then after the intial build... etc.

I haven't read the component list yet, but I'll get around to that eventually, and I'll fill in the tech and magic levels when I do.
Good, I wans't sure how to do those anyway.

Remove ads