Common rules errors

Quasqueton

First Post
Every once in a while (read: almost every day) I read or hear someone spout a rule that is totally incorrect. I'm amazed at how many people read a clear and unambiguous rule and completely muddy it or reverse it. It actually grates my nerves. It makes me shake my head and say aloud, "have you actually played like that for 3 years?"

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see if anyone else was stunned by so much confusion on the simplest rules.

Here are some rules that are quite simple and clear, but that many people still mess up:

Take 10 - So many people confuse this with the Take 20 restrictions. In actuality, this is one of the simplest and easiest rules in the whole game. Really.

Take 20 - So many people think this is a freeby auto success, or they restrict its use from so many skills that should be open to this rule. For instance, they think you can't open locks with it because there is a risk of failure (the lock doesn't open).

Natural 20/1 - This isn't anything special with skill checks. By the rules as explicitly written, it applies only to attack rolls. [It's application to saving throws is a hot topic for debate.]

AoO - I still hear people say moving into a threatened area provokes an AoO.

Dispelling a fly spell causes the flyer to fall - People just don't read the [whole] spell descriptions.

Sunder feat - Some people think a character must have this feat to attempt a "strike a weapon" action.

I won't even mention all the confusions people have distinquishing house rules in one campaign vs. standard rules in another. [Some people make a house rule to override a standard rule that they don't like because they've misunderstood it.] Or the possible interpretations different people have regarding certain poorly worded rules. [I've seen lengthy debates over the meaning of one word in a rule.]

What rules errors drive you to distraction?

Quasqueton

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
I'm amazed how often players try to round up half damage when it is against the opponents but always remember to round down when taking it on the chin... ;)

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Quasqueton said:
Natural 20/1 - This isn't anything special with skill checks. By the rules as explicitly written, it applies only to attack rolls. [It's application to saving throws is a hot topic for debate.]

P. 26, Deities and Demigods: "Deities of rank 1 or higher do not automatically fail on a natural saving throw roll of 1." The implication is that mortals do.

Has this been clarified anywhere "officially"?

Mark Chance

Boingy! Boingy!
Re: Re: Re: Common rules errors

CRGreathouse said:

It's in the FAQ. I still hold out against it, though. :p

Good for you. Do not submit to the FAQ!

I'm not terribly fond of natural 1 = auto failure or natural 20 = auto success for combat. I just put up with it because it's the precedent. :D

Mercule

Adventurer
Quasqueton said:
AoO - I still hear people say moving into a threatened area provokes an AoO.

I'm amazed at how many people have problems w/ AoO in general. Honestly, I've never found them that difficult.

Well, I like dispelled flight resulting in falling. It's dramatic, and it makes my players more scared of the antimagic Orc mages. :)

What I hate are the players who . . . um, . . . okay so I attack him, and I roll this, right? Do I need to roll high or low? Okay, I got a 15. Oh, add my bonus? Where's that listed? Oh, okay, plus 4. So I got a 19. Does that hit?

Or: He cast a spell on me? What do I roll? OKay, this one? I got a 12. Um . . . what's a 'will save'? Oh, okay, it's plus two.

I mean, I appreciate that some players just play for friendship, and don't worry about details too much, but why can't they just learn the basics, eh?

Psion

Adventurer
Quasqueton said:
Take 20 - So many people think this is a freeby auto success, or they restrict its use from so many skills that should be open to this rule. For instance, they think you can't open locks with it because there is a risk of failure (the lock doesn't open).

What drives me batty: PUBLISHERS that publish feats that let you "automatically take 20". That's nonsensical. Take 20 is shorthand for "rolling again and again until you get a 20." What they are describing is "take 10 with a +10 bonus", and in doing so aren't realizing that they are handing out a free +10 bonus.

So, Quas, you remember the argument on WebRPG with the guy who insisted that what differentiated touch attacks from normal attacks is that they used Dex bonus?

Psion

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: Re: Common rules errors

Mark Chance said:
I'm not terribly fond of natural 1 = auto failure or natural 20 = auto success for combat. I just put up with it because it's the precedent. :D

I use the epic variant (even in non-epic games) where 1s and 20s are open ended.

Murrdox

First Post
In my group, we made a very stupid error and misunderstood flanking rules until just last year.

We thought that to "Flank" all you had to do was attack your opponent from the side or from the rear. Thus, you could technically flank someone that wasn't engaged in melee with anyone else. This would turn into combats where if the fighter was 10' away from a creature, he'd say "I run over to his side and flank him".

Think how disgusting sneak attacking was. "I tumble behind him and flank him and sneak attack him".

Somehow we missed the basic idea that in 3E there is no "facing" so to speak. And "Flank" is more like "Pincer".

Remove ads