• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Common rules errors

S'mon

Legend
Tallarn said:

Yes, you did. :) But I didn't know he was a rogue at that time...plus, it would only have applied to the first round of damage, as I'm sure you're aware.

I just assumed he was a straight wizard, and kept wondering when the big evocation guns were going to come out!

How much would it have been, anyway? 2d6?

Yep - and with the Shield Other that's only about 4hp anyway, *sigh* :)

Tewligan

First Post
Re: Re: Common rules errors

Rel said:

Actually, Quasqueton, it wasn't until the recent NC Game Day that I caught on to the fact that you can only Run in a straight line. It's a good thing that I've got those big battlemats, because for the last two years, we've been running all over them at 4x speed.
Hm. I thought it was just charging that forced you to go in a straight line - you can't change direction while running?

Mercule

Adventurer
Re: Re: Re: Common rules errors

Tewligan said:

Hm. I thought it was just charging that forced you to go in a straight line - you can't change direction while running?

Both. There's actually a feat in Song and Silence that lets you make a single turn while running.

Negative Zero

First Post
Mercule said:
...What I'd actually meant to say is "standing from prone" provokes AoO.

sorry to break it to you bud, it kinda sorta, doesn't. you really oughta read that chart on pg 128.

Originally posted by Tewligan
...you can't change direction while running?
and with regard to the running thing, we have a house rule that lets you make one turn if you only run at 3x your speed. just thought i'd mention it.

~NegZ

Mercule

Adventurer
Negative Zero said:

sorry to break it to you bud, it kinda sorta, doesn't. you really oughta read that chart on pg 128.

And you really ought to read the whole thread before shooting off your mouth.

My post was a correction to something I'd said earlier.

We use a house rule that standing from prone provokes an AoO.

So, your mentioning that chart provided no new information, since I'd already acknowledged that the official rule is that it doesn't.

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
No. You must die.

My pet peeve is... the grappling rules.

They're used enough that you regularly have to break out the rules to use them, BUT...

They're not used frequently enough that everyone can remember the rules. They also tend to change a lot depending on who's grappling.

They also have a lot of niggly little bits which are easy to forget.

ie - when you grapple, you provoke an AoO, but only from your target. If that AoO damages you, the grapple is immediately canceled. UNLESS you're a creature with improved grab (which is basically the only time that monsters tend to grapple), in which case you don't provoke an AoO, and the grapple can't be interrupted.

You move into the target square, which provokes an AoO from everyone EXCEPT the target. I'm not sure why that is...

On a successful grapple check, you deal damage as if from an unarmed strike, but ONLY on the initial grapple. You also don't deal this damage if you're using improved grab (I think), UNLESS you have constrict.

In subsequent rounds, you can make a grapple check to pin, a grapple or escape artist check to break the grapple, a grapple check to cause damage, or attack with a natural or light weapon. As to whether those last two require a grapple check to perform, noone is really sure.

Oh, you can also constrict. The rules on constrict are extremely unclear - and sometimes they give no benefit over simply using a natural weapon.

So someone ALWAYS gets SOME part of these wrong.

Buttercup

Princess of Florin
RangerWickett said:
I mean, I appreciate that some players just play for friendship, and don't worry about details too much, but why can't they just learn the basics, eh?

Amen, brother. This one gets my goat too. So don't worry about grapple. But at least take the trouble to learn what I mean if I ask for a strength check, eh?

Remove ads