• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Common rules errors

Numion

First Post
Re: Re: Common rules errors

Psion said:

So, Quas, you remember the argument on WebRPG with the guy who insisted that what differentiated touch attacks from normal attacks is that they used Dex bonus?

Or the dude who insisted that fireballs would cause a total of 1d6 per level damage, not that much to each target in the area.

Wormwood

Adventurer
I still get these from players who have been playing since August 2000:

1. "I sneak attack the Vampire! Woohoo"

2. "I sheathe my sword, draw my bow and fire."

3. "Okay, now how do I find out my spell's DC again?"

4. "I crit the Elemental! Woohoo!"

5. "I ready a full-round action!"

6. "Wait until I get Whirlwind Attack---my glaive will be unstoppable!"

7. "I sneak attack *and* crit the Golem! Woohoo!"

Mathew_Freeman

First Post
My DM hates me because I don't make rules mistakes...:D

However, this did work against me one time. I got hit by a dissolving touch (high level psionic power) for 7d6 acid damage. It requires a melee touch to hit, and he rolled a natural 20. I told him that was a critical threat, and he duly rolled to confirm and did me 14d6 acid damage to a 7th level monk. I became goo. :)

But I shrugged, told him that's how the dice fell, and created a new character. C'est la vie.

rounser

First Post
My pet peeve is when I point out a passage in the PHB that backs me up on a rules issue, and because there have been multiple printings of it, I get told that, "Oh, that must be an earlier printing, it's out of date." :rolleyes:

Time to print out the errata and prove that like hell it's out of date...

muhcashin

Explorer
Critical success and failure

I'm not too sure about this, but I think there's a rule variant about natural 20/1s in the DMG. My DM uses it, but natural 20s or 1s don't happen too often, so it has never been an issue.

Eternalknight

First Post
RangerWickett said:
Well, I like dispelled flight resulting in falling. It's dramatic, and it makes my players more scared of the antimagic Orc mages. :)

What I hate are the players who . . . um, . . . okay so I attack him, and I roll this, right? Do I need to roll high or low? Okay, I got a 15. Oh, add my bonus? Where's that listed? Oh, okay, plus 4. So I got a 19. Does that hit?

Or: He cast a spell on me? What do I roll? OKay, this one? I got a 12. Um . . . what's a 'will save'? Oh, okay, it's plus two.

I mean, I appreciate that some players just play for friendship, and don't worry about details too much, but why can't they just learn the basics, eh?

Amen!

DanMcS

Explorer
Quasqueton said:
AoO - I still hear people say moving into a threatened area provokes an AoO.

Hah. I still said that, until just now. We had it come up just last game, and we were all pretty sure it did. I just reread the PHB, and it sounds like it in there, but I read the d20 modern book, and it's explained much more clearly. Thanks!

Graf

Explorer
I don't know if these are all common or not, but they've irritated me recently:

Giving monsters with natural attacks iterative attacks (so claw/claw/bite/claw-5/claw-11)

Picking up a weapon from the ground gives allows an AoO.

taking a five foot step, doing something and then trying to move more.

"I cast bless and then ready and action to attack when they get close to me"

Negative Zero

First Post
Graf said:
... Picking up a weapon from the ground gives allows an AoO. ...

um i thought picking up a weapon from the ground did provoke an AoO. ... (off to read the PHB)

~NegZ

<EDIT>
there it is, page 128, in the chart, picking up an item does provoke an AoO.

Last edited:

Cedric

First Post
The one I've had the hardest time with is convincing people that you cannot take 20 on a skill check to craft an item.

If you fail in crafting an item, there are definitely consequences.

Cedric

Remove ads