Company of the Bitter Blade - beginnings

Sidekick

First Post
Karrlakton, home of House Denith and right across the river is your home… Well what’s left of your home nation. The Mournland calls to you here, a reminder of both your past and the folly of man.

You are here because you received a cryptic letter

"Hello ex-patriot of Cyre. I am calling upon those who wish to avenge themselves upon the enemies of Cyre and the enemies of peace. We lost our homeland, please join me to fight for the greater good.
Make your way to the Warriors rest inn, Sentinel Tower in Karrlakton. Once the tavern has closed for the night on Zol, Lharvion, I shall meet you there.
Please accept the coins here as a token of my intent.”

The letter was accompanied with enough gold to pay for your passage here, and sealed with the symbol of the queen of Cyre’s Guard.

So here you are, in Karrlakton, standing outside the Warriors rest tavern. You haven't seemed to attract much attention, the large number of mercenaries and scions of House Denieth in this area means that you likely seem like all else.

The Warriors Rest tavern is in a quiet part of Sentinel Tower, and as goes with the home of House Denieth, there are plenty of foreigners & mercenaries around.

[OOC: the campaign starts with you entering the tavern, tell me what you want to do and any specifics for the evening]

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
Anvuss walks in to the tavern without much of an idea of what to expect. "Who could have written me a letter?" he thinks. He mainly responded to it out of ambivalence. The chaos following the destruction of Cyre and the end of the war has seperated him from his companions, and he has no idea what to do with his newfound freedom. Hoping for guidance, and unable to think who he might have offended in a manner sufficiently personal to warrant some sort of trap, his most dominant emotion is shere curiousity.

"Greetings." He states to the Tavern at large. "I am Anvuss. Someone has requested my presence here. If that person is also present, please identify yourself."

He looks around to see if anyone he knows is present, or if anyone acknowledges his statement. He's not sure what to do in a bar, since he neither eats nor drinks. He pauses a moment to see if circumstances will help resolve his quandry.

Last edited:

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Tok, laden down with all of the adventuring things he's aquired since the day of the Mourning, approaches the tavern wearing a human face. Whoever sent me this letter must know who I am, but that doesn't mean that I need to be who they expect: at least not until I figure out what the heck is going on here.

Tok walks into the Warrior's Rest, and finds a familiar warforged just inside the door, having obviously just said something to the crowd rather unusual, judging by the stares from some of the patrons. Trying not to draw too much attention to himself, and definitely trying to avoid Anvuss' recognition, Tok slips around the warforged and toward an empty table near the far wall, takes off his pack, sits down with his back to the wall, and trys to get the attention of the wait-staff. Tok thinks to himself At least if it's a trap, Anvuss will be here either to spring it first or to help me out...

Last edited:

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
After leaving his room Hobbes walks down the stairs, wearing a cloak over his head to hide his more prominent features (knowing full well the reception he normally gets when in town), stopping midway down the stairs to survey the room. He wants to take stock of the people in the Inn to see if anyone is paying him any particular attention but upon seeing that most everyone is staring at the familiar Warforged standing in the doorway he is comforted at the site.

He heard someone bellow something before coming down the stairs and shakes his head in silent laughter. Leave it to Anvuss to come right to the point, a smile spreading across my face. It has been sometime since I have been with real friends and with the pressure of the city bearing down upon me, it will be good to be with trusted allies once more.

After surveying the room he doe snot see anyone else in the room and approcahes an empty table in the back to sit down and after getting the attention of the nearest wench orders his morning meal. A plate of some fruits and cheeses. I then sit back and watch as events unfold, attempting to get the attention of Anvuss but tyring not to attract anyone else's attention.

Last edited:

GPEKO

First Post
Magnus, Cleric of Dol Dorn

Magnus receives his letter while he's staying at the great cathedral of the Sovereign Host in Korth. He's is really intrigued by it. It is marked by the symbol of the queen of Cyre's guard ! Almost nobody uses it these days.* Karrlakton ... it would be an occasion to see my homeland again, at least what left of it. Besides, the writer of this letter clearly has the best interest of Cyre at heart.

The trip from Korth to Karrlakton proves unevenful and Magnus finds himself at the entrance of the Warrior's Rest when he notices a familiar warforged. The big man puts his hand on Anvuss' shoulder. "Anvuss? Is that really you?" Upon getting the confirmation of this, he hads, with a huge smile: "Good to see a fellow survivor of Cyre! What are you doing in Karrnath? It's not the most friendly of places for warforgeds, or so I've heard. Perhaps you seek mercenary work?"

*I'm guessing here...

Last edited:

kolikeos

First Post
i enter the tavern, wearing my armor and traveling claok, i survey the room and go sit by the bar. i order myself a drink, take a glup of it and look around the bar room at the other patrons trying to see if there is anyone femiliar or that simply looks interesting. spoting hobbes and tok i go and sit at their table "hello, i haven't seen you two for some time now"

(out of game: sheesh... i feel ashamed writing something so short after reading you guys's long descriptions :heh: )

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
GPEKO said:
"Anvuss? Is that really you?" Upon getting the confirmation of this, he hads, with a huge smile: "Good to see a fellow survivor of Cyre! What are you doing in Karrnath? It's not the most friendly of places for warforgeds, or so I've heard. Perhaps you seek mercenary work?"

"Magnus! I am overjoyed to see you. I am at loose ends, at the moment. I recieved a strange letter, that is what brings me here. Wait, I will show it to you..."

Fishing out the letter, Anvuss hands it to Magnus.

"I was not aware this place was hostile towards my people. I wonder why that would be? None have given me trouble as yet, though. Perhaps this is because I am well armed. Then again, it may be possible there has been hostility directed at me and I simply did not recognize it. I sometimes fail to understand the emotional subtext in conversation."

Looking around, he finally notices how much attention he has attracted. He jerks back a bit in surprise.

"In fact, I think I may have done it again. Do you think I am eliciting an emotional response from the other patrons? This was not intended. How might we best defuse the situation? Would it be apropriate to sit down?"

/ooc: How come everyone recognizes Tok? He's not wearing his own face... or am I confused? Perhaps I'm simply falling into character. :)

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
/OOC that is because we all can not read, me starting the great downfall, whoops, sorry about that. I will change my above statement.

Statement above has been changed.

Last edited:

GPEKO

First Post
Magnus

Magnuss looks around, also noticing the attention they are getting. "I don't know what you told them but you're right, let's just sit down." They find themselves a table and Magnus curiously looks at the letter Anvuss just gave him. "Incredible!" He says as he hands it back. "I've received an almost identical one. Someone is gathering us, for the good of Cyre! This is really exciting, don't you think? No, I just remembered, you don't get easily excited, right?"

Later in the conversation, the subject of the conversation returns to the state of the warforgeds in Karrnath. "Well, you see, it's not that they're 'hostile' to warforgeds. It's just that ... well ... your people are smart but they're not always really perceptive. A lot of people here used that to force some of you into indentured servitude. The flaming zealots of Thrane do it to for that matter."

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
GPEKO (Magnus) said:
This is really exciting, don't you think? No, I just remembered, you don't get easily excited, right?"

"The letter has certainly excited my curiosity at any rate. Do you think we are gathered for the good of Cyre? That is good, I think. I had been uncertain who might have sent the letter, or why."

Gpeko (Magnus) said:
"Well, you see, it's not that they're 'hostile' to warforgeds. It's just that ... well ... your people are smart but they're not always really perceptive. A lot of people here used that to force some of you into indentured servitude. The flaming zealots of Thrane do it to for that matter."

"We have always been taught that it is an honor to serve. Perhaps this 'servitude' you speak of is no so bad."

Looking at the note, Anvuss adds "It says we are to be met after closing. Will we be allowed to stay after the establishment closes?"

Last edited:

Remove ads