Company of the Bitter Blade - beginnings

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
While eating I attempt to listen in on others conversations and again survey the room to see if anyone is watching either myself or Magnus and Anvuss. Something is obviously going on as seeing those two could not possibly a coincidence.

Striking up a conversation with the Wench, after bringing more ale, I ask her "So what has been happening as of late? I just arrived in town yesterday and have been out of touch of sorts? Could you possibly tell me about the goings on of the ruling council?" Sliding over 2 gold pieces to see if she will talk.

Listen=15, Spot=11, Gather information=19 (forgot the -1)

Last edited:

Sidekick

First Post
Elocin: "Local Council? The Crown looks after its own, but here in Sentinel Tower House Denieth rules, and their main interest is trade and keeping on good grounds with King Kaius III." She looks a bit disheartened and says "Having the mournland within sight isn't helping the locals economy, without Denieth here the town would be in trouble thats for sure."

She then walks off and brings you back your meal. As you look around there is a small number of other people here, however only one seems slightly interested in Magnus and Anvuss. A small non-descript human male seems to be trying to observe them while staying non-descript.

[OOC: I'll give you guys another day or so of interaction before I close up the bar].

Last edited:

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Sidekick said:
Sidekick said:
A small non-descript human male seems to be trying to observe them while staying non-descript.

While finishing my meal I will continue to keep a watch on this person and when it gets closer to closing time. I will act drunk and make my way over to his table to get a closer look at him. If he seems menacing at all I will sit down next to him and act like a drunkard claiming that I know him and remember him back from the war. If he does not look menacing I will just sit behind him at another table and watch his movements. Otherwise I make no other moves and wait for closing time. Continuing to chat with the wench to see if she drops any more information.

Drunk - Bluff=18
Gather Information=19
(OK with these rolls I am going to suck once combat starts.)

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Tok pays for some food and drink and watches his old friends Anvuss, Magnus, and Hobbes go about their activities in the tavern. I wonder why they have all shown up here, now, on this day. There has to be a connection: and I expect that the letter has something to do with it.

Well, just in case of trouble...Tok reaches into one of the pouches in his apron, pulls out three sling bullets, and places them on the table. He then proceeds to put his spear underneath the table and place his sling across his lap. All of this he does under the pretense of situating his table space before he eats his food.

OOC: For DM :
Am I the small human Hobbes noticed? I assume that's me, if so, I want to react appropriately. P.S. The above post happends before Hobbes comes toward me, if it is even me that Hobbes is approaching. Not about to attack Hobbes!

Patlin

Explorer
Elocin said:
While finishing my meal I will continue to keep a watch on this person and when it gets closer to closing time. I will act drunk and make my way over to his table to get a closer look at him. If he seems menacing at all I will sit down next to him and act like a drunkard claiming that I know him and remember him back from the war. If he does not look menacing I will just sit behind him at another table and watch his movements. Otherwise I make no other moves and wait for closing time. Continuing to chat with the wench to see if she drops any more information.

As Hobbes stumbles towards the disguised Tok's table, his presence finally penetrates Anvuss's fog of introspection. Startled to see his old friend, Anvuss stands abruptly just as Hobbes aproaches Tok. His chair clatters over behind him.

"Hobbes! It is you! Magnus, look, another old companion joins us. Surely this is a sign of good fortune. Do you think you god smiles upon us? Come sit with us my friend. We have found it is less conspicuous. Err..." Looking around, Anvuss realizes he's accidentally drawn attention to himself again. Righting his chair he mumbles something incoherent in embarrasment. You get the impression he would be blushing, if his adamantium reinforced wooden cheeks could accomplish it.

"That is, please join us."

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Tok sees Hobbes approaching and attempts to make eye contact with him. Tok then proceeds to knock over his own ale, and call to the nearest waitress, just loud enough for Hobbes to hear, "Some drunkard, I didn't see who, just knocked my glass of ale nearly a mile off it's table! I was sitting here, alone, just minding my own business and someone just blows by and knocked it over! More ale here!"

OOC: Tok trying to transmit secret message to Hobbes (DM set Bluff DC). Roll =22

Secret Message:
Remember who was on the lightning rail knocked a mile off of it's tracks! I want to be alone!

Last edited:

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Patlin said:
"Hobbes! It is you! Magnus, look, another old companion joins us. Surely this is a sign of good fortune. Do you think you god smiles upon us? Come sit with us my friend. We have found it is less conspicuous. Err..." Looking around, Anvuss realizes he's accidentally drawn attention to himself again. Righting his chair he mumbles something incoherent in embarrasment. You get the impression he would be blushing, if his adamantium reinforced wooden cheeks could accomplish it.

"That is, please join us."

"Ahh Anvuss my good friend, never one for subtlety are you? It is good to see you once more and you as well Magnus it has been far too long." (I take my seat making sure I am still able to watch our watcher (Tok) sense motive to see if I understand Tok's criptive message) "So am I safe to assume you are in this Inn for the same reason I am?" tapping the letter on the table.

"Does any of you by chance know what we might be getting ourselves into?" As I motion for the wench to bring us some more ale.

Sense Motive=3 (doubt I hear or understand Tok at all, stupid dice...errr stupid random online dice roller)

GPEKO

First Post
Magnus

Patlin said:
"We have always been taught that it is an honor to serve. Perhaps this 'servitude' you speak of is no so bad."
Magnus smiles widely. "Somehow, I just knew you were going to say something like that, Anvuss. Let me put it this way. What if, as part of your servitude, you are asked to do something against your beliefs, like killing me for example. What would do, then? Are you not better to be free and choose to serve what you believe is right?"

Elocin said:
"Ahh Anvuss my good friend, never one for subtlety are you? It is good to see you once more and you as well Magnus it has been far too long." (I take my seat making sure I am still able to watch our watcher (Tok) sense motive to see if I understand Tok's criptive message) "So am I safe to assume you are in this Inn for the same reason I am?" tapping the letter on the table.

"Does any of you by chance know what we might be getting ourselves into?" As I motion for the wench to bring us some more ale.
The big man seems overjoyed to meet yet another one of his old military camarades. "Hobbes! You assume correctly. By Dol Dorn, I can barely contain my excitement. Three of us! I'm eager to see what this is all about. Hopefully, we'll get to do something for the good of Cyre."

As Hobbes motions to the wench, Magnus adds: "Yes, by Olladra, this reunion calls for some ale. Food, too! It will at least keep us busy while we wait for the inn to close. Except for you, Anvuss ..."

Patlin

Explorer
GPEKO said:
Magnus smiles widely. "Somehow, I just knew you were going to say something like that, Anvuss. Let me put it this way. What if, as part of your servitude, you are asked to do something against your beliefs, like killing me for example. What would do, then? Are you not better to be free and choose to serve what you believe is right?"

Anvuss appears deeply troubled by this. "You are right, Magnus. It would be no honor to serve someone who would give such an order. I would not obey that order. I have no experience with this 'freedom' you speak of, but I see it may have some value. I will continue to think on it."

Returning his attention to Hobbes, Anvuss looks at the letter he presented. "We all seem to have recieved essentially identical letters. It is most curious. I am sure you will be as relieved as I am, Hobbes, to know that Magnus has informed me that the one who sends these letters has the best interest of Cyre at heart. I was originally concerned, but I know I am ill suited to the task of divining intentions. I wonder if we three are the only ones to be so summoned, or if more old friends will arrive presently. It seems like the Tavern may be closing soon, so we are presumably close to finding answers to our questions."

GPEKO

First Post
Magnus

Patlin said:
"We all seem to have recieved essentially identical letters. It is most curious. I am sure you will be as relieved as I am, Hobbes, to know that Magnus has informed me that the one who sends these letters has the best interest of Cyre at heart. I was originally concerned, but I know I am ill suited to the task of divining intentions. I wonder if we three are the only ones to be so summoned, or if more old friends will arrive presently. It seems like the Tavern may be closing soon, so we are presumably close to finding answers to our questions."
Magnus is not totally confortable with Anvuss confidence the warforged placs on him. "While I really hope I'm right, perhaps I spoke too hastily. It's certainly possible that our correspondant doesn't have the best interest of Cyre at heart. However, I've learn long ago that we must look to the future with hope, lest we despair. So that's what I do." After that, Magnus waits for closing of the inn, and an answer to their questions.

Remove ads