Company of the Bitter Blade - beginnings

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Tok takes a seat next to Anvuss, and leans foward across the table toward Captain Boltham. "As strange as it is, I think I agree with the warforged...I'm, going to need to hear a little bit more before I swear to anything. That said, I like what I hear so far."

Sense Motive (1d20+2=8)

Last edited:

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Sidekick said:
Before you sits a middle aged human male, dressed in full-cyrean military regalia. "Welcome gentlemen, please sit. I am Captain Boltham, formally of the Queen's Guard & now a member of the Company of the Bitter Blade."

I have a job offer of sorts. My 'minders' in House Denieth do not want us to meddle in international relations. However meddle I shall. Swear to tell no-one about what passes between us & I shall give you the opportunity to fight for Cyre once more!"

Eyeing the man up and down, agitated with all this cloak and dagger business especially with the wasting of my time. With a somewhat sarcastic tilt to my voice, "And so why should my companions and I believe you Captain? We each get the same letter with the supposed seal of the Queen, to come meet at this tavern in the dark of night. Not the usual meeting time of people who are working for the law, now is it? Out of respect for my trusted pack here, I will continue to listen to you but by no means will I sit down. Please, attempt to convince us of who you are and why we should take your job and more importanlty, try and explain to me how it will restore my home?"

I continue to pace/stalk back and forth in the room my eyes, glowing from the fire, constantly searching the room and this Captian for any signs of mischief.

Sense Motive=2 (again with the crappy rolls, sheesh)

Last edited:

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
OOC: Wow I hope this is more of a hack-n-slah type of adventure instead of one that we are having to deal with a lot of questionable people. Otherwise they will be able to sell us the moon or convince us that everyone on the planet is evil and we must start killing them all, starting with little girls.

Last edited:

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Tok looks a bit taken a back by Hobbes hostility and says "Hobbes, please calm down. This man may have perfectly good and valid reasons to be circumspect about meeting with us. There is a time and place for subtelty. At any rate, it shouldn't hurt us to hear him out."

But just to be sure... Tok thinks to himself, reaches into his pocket, and starts fingering a handful of sling bullets.

"As you were saying sir?"

Sidekick

First Post
"Getlemen, I understand you concerns and your queries. Aloow me to explain"

Captain Bolthan places both hands palms up on the table in an attampt to show you that he means to harm.

Myself, I was once a captain in the Queens Guard. However I did not protect her directly, instead I was one of the leaders of her Spy network. Somewhat similar to the royal eyes of Aundair, or Brelands Citidel. Since our loss of our contry House Denieth offered all of the suriving members of the Queens Guard employment in the Blademarks. However, while they have kept me busy for the past 4 years, my grief has recently lessened. Yes Cyre is gone but we who remain must decide what to do in the new Khorvaire.

I am speaking to you now because I am technically a representative of House DEneith, they are politically neutral & they aim to stay out of issues that could bring them into confilct both with the other great houses, and with thier potential clients. However I know much about the nobility & remaining four nations. There ismuch weakness, decadence & in some areas, the nobility dabble in evil rittes. The Emerald Claw are growing in power, the cults of the Dragon Below are born anew. We cannot protect Cyre, but we can try to ensure that what happended to us does not happen to any others.

What I offer is my patronage, I can help equip and house you. In return I ask that you do what I cannot.... For the good of Khorvaire I ask that you strike back at the evil that plagues us, engage our enemies in battle and fight the good fight.

I cannot bring Cyre back, but we can keep the spirit of Galifar & Cyre alive.

OOC: - Sensing his motive he seems to be genuine, there seems to be no lies in what he is saying.

He becomes silent & looks every one of you in the eyes. I sent many letter, not just to you four, however only you have answered my call. Please understand I will not mislead you, nor will I use you for fell means, I want you to defeatr those that will sacrifice childern not join them.

If you will hear what I need you to do will you then swear to silence, whether or not you will join me?

ShaggySpellsword

First Post
Tok clears his throat and says "So let me get this straight, you just want us to sneak around taking out all of the bad that goes on in the courts and countries? You are in a position where you can't fight the system, so you want the four of us to fight the system for you? Hmm...I can swear this much: I won't mention this meeting or anything else you say here, lest it be clearly detritous to do otherwise, to anyone except those now in this room. I do however reserve the right to walk out of here if you ask me to do anything too crazy or too contrary to my personal beleifs."

Within his own head Tok adds It sure would be good to have a patron again, and House Deneith for that matter: if I make good with them they could actually protect me once Cannith finds out what it is I have...if they even know to look.

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
"Based on your assurance that your aim is to fight evil, I am willing to swear to silence. I take your statements to mean you will not urge upon us any heinous act, and on that condition I will not speak of this conversation to others. While I do not pretend to understand all of the politics you speak of, I am in general willing to aid in destroying evil."

Anvuss seems pleased, glad his curiousity will be satisfied. He listens intently, anticipating further explanation.

Elocin

Lurker (sort of)
Looking to Tok, a slight growl escaping my lips, "I am not trying to be hostile, well not too much. I just have my doubts about authority claiming they are on the side of good when all they are thinking about is their own power."

Turning back to the Captain saying, There is much evil in this land and I am unsure how just the four of us can stop it from spreading even with House Denith's help or yours. Just look at our home across the river to see how evil can not be stopped; only prolonged from spreading. All I want is someplace far removed from people to call home, somewhere I can be alone and continue to mourn the loss of my family, but traveling this land these past months I can see that will never happen. I am always being dragged back into people’s affairs. I swear to silence that I will not repeat anything you are about to tell us and that I will help where I can, as your sincerity and honor seem true. Now please continue on with your tale.

Sidekick

First Post
Boltham listens to each of you and seems to relax slightly at the fact that you will hear him out and stay silent about this meeting.

"Hobbes, I understand that you want peace, however heroes are rarely afforded that which they most want. Instead they are called upon so that they can sacrifice what they want in order to do what the must." Boltam seems to have a hint of sympathy in his eyes and voice. However in a flash his eyes changes, his face hardens, you can see the military captain coming to the fore.

"Here is my proposal. I ask that you investigate a watch tower on the other side of the river, in the Mournland. The tower is roughly 200 yards back from the river & was once an observation post for our nation. However I believe that is is now being used as a jump-off point to attack and infiltrate this city. House Denieth beleive that the attacks are merely wandering monsters, however they do not know what I know. Hidden in the basement level of the tower is a sealed entrance to Khyber. and I do not beleive that this seal is still secure."

He spreads out a small map of the area and indicates a spot on the other side of the river directly opposite Karrlackton.

"The main objective is for you to eliminate the threat from whomever is occupying the keep. However, there is alo a chest in the officers quarters. This chest is eblasoned with the symbol of Cyre and houses an item that I would like to have back in Cyrean hands. This chest should be your secondary objective, if you find it please bring it back to me, however it is not worth your lives. I need the four of you in one piece more than I need that chest." He looks up "Any questions?"

Remove ads