Compiled info on upcoming classes & races

garyh

First Post
Yeah, we've never asked that question before. :p

Cut eleventh some slack, they just joined the boards this week.

Welcome, eleventh! There have been many attempts at a martial controller in the House Rules forum. I haven't especially followed that topic myself, so I can't recommend a specific thread, but you can probably find something poking around that forum.

4e Fan Creations and House Rules - EN World D&D / RPG News

andarilhor

First Post
That seems to make sense that the book will be split:

2 arcane/2 divine/4 primal ... it fits with the 2/2/4 build of the first PHB, plus it allows for Complete Arcana, Complete Divine and Complete Primal to all have similar set-ups to Complete Martial. The interesting thing is that arcane gets more love since they have a class in both the FR player's guide, and will have one in the Eberon guide as well. I wonder if the non-PHB classes will be supported in the Power books (we have seen drow/genasi getting support in Martial Power so far).

The arcane has reference to the swordmage, the artificer i dont know.

You make me think what to expect in the future classes of settings:
Ravenloft - Shadow power source, maybe the necromancer...
Darksun - Psionic or Elemental power source
Dragonlance - Divine power source

Gort

Explorer
Cut eleventh some slack, they just joined the boards this week.

Heh, no offense meant. Usually martial controller suggestions are something like "whipmaster", "monk", or "trick archer", where the controller has a lot of powers that tie people up, throw them around the room, or affect areas with storms of arrows.

I haven't really seen one I thought was too convincing so far - the idea of a guy firing arrows at assault rifle rate of fire is just a bit too outlandish for the martial power source, in my opinion.

Maybe some kind of pikeman would work.

HazardCatcher

First Post
Oh jeez... empath?

That would certainly be the lamest name for a 4e class I've ever heard suggested.

The 4e psionic leader should be called The Seer. 100%

If they call it an empath, and I agree that there would even be a lot of empathing going on with the class, I'm not buying the PHBIII.

damngravity

Explorer
I don't have a ddi subscription so I can't point to it in the original source.
However, according to a thread discussing the recent minotaur article ( http://www.enworld.org/forum/general-rpg-discussion/244251-playing-minotaurs.html ), the article mentions the "Warden" as a class that the minotaur is suited for.

This may be the "W" class that will be in the PHB2 (and also suggests that the warden is best served by strength and or constitution abilities since those are the minotaur's racial bonuses).

Of course, this isn't hard confirmation, just conjecture based on the use of the class name, the timing, and an unknown "W" class in the PHB2. :)

The confirmation is in the Digital Insider #14: Closed Beta article.

Digital Insider #14: Character Builder

" It's got unique racial abilities, feats, and paragon paths, plus it also spoils a previously unannounced PHB II class on the first page."

Flobby

Explorer
My bets are Theurge (divine/controller) and Inquisitor (divine/striker).
I believe the first will be centered in buff/debuff in areas and the second will be a high damage against specific creatures (undeads, demons) or will be something like a striker/leader.

Other thing, as the PHBII release aproaches seems the dragons is leaking previews each month, barbarian in 368 and bard in 369, so what preview do you want to see in the 370? I am betting in the druid or the sorcerer (or both), so you can see a little of the new controllers... :)

Theurge! You're probably right. I was wracking my brain trying to think what the T would stand for.

andarilhor

First Post
Theurge! You're probably right. I was wracking my brain trying to think what the T would stand for.

For nothing. It was other guy in this thread who said this name before me. :)

Other thing: Anyone knows (or guesses) what other races are going to appear in the "Playing with..." of Dragon Magazine?

Jhaelen

First Post
The 4e psionic leader should be called The Seer. 100%
How is that not 'lame'?
If they call it an empath, and I agree that there would even be a lot of empathing going on with the class, I'm not buying the PHBIII.
Frankly, I don't care about the class's name as long as it's implemented well.

We already have lots of class names that sound 'lame' or don't accurately describe the class's concept. It's bad enough we'll get yet another class starting with 'War', already: the Warden - yuck!

Remove ads