Complete Idiot's Guide to Character Creation.(for D&D 3.5)

Please, people. Just because the company that publishes the books called them "Complete Idiot's Guide to XXX" does not mean that you have to be an idiot to benefit from the book. No more so than you have to be a dummy to benefit from the "XXX for Dummies" books.

(By the way, "D&D for Dummies" and "Dungeon Mastering for Dummies" are very good books, with a lot of great content.)

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Joshua Randall said:
Please, people. Just because the company that publishes the books called them "Complete Idiot's Guide to XXX" does not mean that you have to be an idiot to benefit from the book.

...but it helps ;)

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
I never know just waht to make of these books. Perhaps I should pick up The Complete Idiot's Guide for Dummies.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
How many of you have left a new player alone with the PHB and told them to make a new character recently? I have, and very bright people find the process intimidating. Considering how many people here started D&D prior to having an actual D&D group, the "find someone to show you" method isn't a viable option.

If you are too awesome to need the book, great, but complaining about a book designed to bring people into the hobby seems ... not smart. ;)

Henry

Autoexreginated
Creating a character is not difficult, it's just time-consuming. But I can see the desire for a book like this, for those who, unlike many of us, don't comb the web looking for perfect character-choice combos, exploring rules nuances, etc. It's the kind of book that says, "hey, you want to make a hero who dances around the battlefield like the Main character from Equilibrium? Find feats that eliminate op-attacks, raise your armor class, and your move speed."

Rhun

First Post
Razz said:
For a second I thought WotC was publishing this. Then I saw the 352 page count and realized "No, that's not WotC.

352 pages? Call me crazy, but who is going to read 352 pages just to make designing a character easier?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Rhun said:
352 pages? Call me crazy, but who is going to read 352 pages just to make designing a character easier?

Different layout.

Smaller sized book.

Lots of illustrations and pointers.

Far from a 352 page WoTC book.

Remove ads