Complete Idiot's Guide to Character Creation.(for D&D 3.5)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
WotC isn't publishing this book. They think everything's fine. The Complete Idiots have clearly done good business on the previous two volumes they've done, so there's almost certainly a market for it.

Why does a book that doesn't appeal to you guys -- and isn't being marketed at you -- bother you so much?

Zaukrie

New Publisher
I'm with Whizbang on this. Why does this bother you? Why do you call people stooopid for wanting this book? Have you tried to teach a child this game recently? How about an adult who has no prior exposure to roleplaying? Heck, how about someone that used to play 15 years ago? Character creation is fun for the type of person that posts here, that has bought thousands of dollars worth of books, but for a newbie, or a group of newbies? I say anything that gets published and sold into regular bookstores that makes the game more accessible is a great idea.

Jim Hague

First Post
It's pretty brilliant - Forbeck will bring in the RPG market, by and large, and the Complete guides have brand recognition enough to appeal to the mainstream a bit.

diaglo

Adventurer
i've been saying this was needed for years.

i was hoping the Dummies books would be able to handle it. but they lacked the stuff i was really trying to get from WotC/Hasbro.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Imaro said:
I'm more likely to find a new past time then spend money on a decoder book.

Given that 'mastery of the system' is one of the things WoTC's surveys show really appeals to most D&D players, it sounds like that might not be a bad idea for you. I doubt things are going to get less complex.

atom crash

First Post
I'm with Whizbang on this. Why does this bother you? Why do you call people stooopid for wanting this book? Have you tried to teach a child this game recently? How about an adult who has no prior exposure to roleplaying? Heck, how about someone that used to play 15 years ago? Character creation is fun for the type of person that posts here, that has bought thousands of dollars worth of books, but for a newbie, or a group of newbies? I say anything that gets published and sold into regular bookstores that makes the game more accessible is a great idea.

I agree completely.

I've been gaming on and off for more than 20 years. My wife? Not so much. I count my blessings that she has an interest in gaming and joined my gaming group two years ago, because I know many people have spouses who don't understand or just don't like our hobby. But while chargen comes second nature to me by now, it is the worst part of the gaming experience for her. And she's intimidated by the fact that I find it so easy and she finds it frustrating.

She's made about 5 characters in her life, all with my assistance. Whenever her character levels up, I end up walking her through the process. Maybe she'd find it easier if she practiced by rolling up dozens of characters, but she has no desire (or time) to do so.

I can totally see myself buying this book for her. And it will enhance my enjoyment of the game as much as it will hers, and I'll be so proud of her the first time she doesn't need my help to roll up a new character or level an existing one.

SiderisAnon said:
I have a basic problem with the concept of this book: Everything you need to know to start making characters is in the PHB. If someone is not willing to read the PHB through well enough to understand, what makes you think they'll actually read a 352 page book that explains all the stuff they missed?

Or maybe I'm just too cynical...
I can only presume that the majority of the book deals with character optimization rather than the basics of character creation.

Because yeah; otherwise, I simply can't see the point of the it at all.

Imaro

Legend
WayneLigon said:
Given that 'mastery of the system' is one of the things WoTC's surveys show really appeals to most D&D players, it sounds like that might not be a bad idea for you. I doubt things are going to get less complex.

Yeah cause that's why they're simplifying the skills system and condition tracking in Star Wars SAGA. ;)

Check out the thread. It seems alot of people could go a simpler route than what's offered with D&D currently. YMMV of course.

Imaro

Legend
Whizbang Dustyboots said:
WotC isn't publishing this book. They think everything's fine. The Complete Idiots have clearly done good business on the previous two volumes they've done, so there's almost certainly a market for it.

Why does a book that doesn't appeal to you guys -- and isn't being marketed at you -- bother you so much?

It isn't that it bothers me, just think there is a better and more comprehensive way of doing this without another seperate $20 book that only deals with character creation. Mainly this idea I posted above.

Imaro said:
Why doesn't WotC just do a revised paperback PHB that's a simpler read and laid out in a less textbook format, maybe with sidebars for new players(BESM 3e uses this to great effect for advice on playing a simpler version of the full game.). Charge $20 or $25 dollars for it and call it a day. The problem I see with this book is you still gotta go get a PHB too.

Remove ads