Complete Idiot's Guide to Character Creation.(for D&D 3.5)

Reynard

Legend
Imaro said:
Yeah cause that's why they're simplifying the skills system and condition tracking in Star Wars SAGA. ;)

Check out the thread. It seems alot of people could go a simpler route than what's offered with D&D currently. YMMV of course.

Well, that is Star Wars, not D&D, and the article very explicitely states the changes are from the perspective of makinga better Star Wars game, not a better game in general.

"A lot of people" doesn't mean a whole lot in comparison to what has been successfully selling for WotC over the last few years. I mean, we are on our second round of options increasing, crunch inducing player based sourcebooks. I doubt that would have happened if the majority of D&D players were clamoring for simpified character generation/development.

Reynard said:
Well, that is Star Wars, not D&D, and the article very explicitely states the changes are from the perspective of makinga better Star Wars game, not a better game in general.
While that is true of some elements of the change, the simplification of skills--particularly in order to simplify character generation and reduce GM workload, is not a Star Wars specific need that the WotC design team noted. It's something that was binned as a problem, and if it's a problem for Star Wars, it's a problem for any other d20 game as well. Even moreseo for D&D, which has added complexities in the form of magic items and spells needed for higher level character generation.

Reynard

Legend
Hobo said:
While that is true of some elements of the change, the simplification of skills--particularly in order to simplify character generation and reduce GM workload, is not a Star Wars specific need that the WotC design team noted. It's something that was binned as a problem, and if it's a problem for Star Wars, it's a problem for any other d20 game as well. Even moreseo for D&D, which has added complexities in the form of magic items and spells needed for higher level character generation.

You might want to re-read the article in question:

WotC said:
At this point, you might be wondering why these changes were made. The simple answer is this: Anyone can do anything in Star Wars if the scene calls for it. For example, over the course of the saga, we see Obi-Wan Kenobi fly ships, deceive people, perform amazing acrobatics, use diplomacy, ride animals, command troops, get information from his contacts on the street, and more. Similarly, Han Solo can fast talk, run, shoot, fly the Millennium Falcon in circles around Star Destroyers, hot-wire doors, lead troops, formulate plans, ride a tauntaun, and use other skills seemingly at will. The new skill system simulates this extremely well. Obi-Wan and Han might not be trained in all the relevant skills, but their untrained bonus allows them to attempt those actions with some chance of success.

In game terms, that chance is important for capturing the Star Wars feel.

No, I don't need to re-read the article in question. Your quote is out of context and doesn't demonstrate anything other than what I already said; that that's true for many of the changes, but the change in skills was also specifically binned as a workload and complexity problem that is not unique to Star Wars.

If you didn't notice that, maybe you should reread the article in question instead of pullnig a paragraph or two out of context.

Wow, that's weird. For Dummies books and Complete Idiot books are competing lines of self-help books. Apparently the D&D for Dummies and DMing for Dummies sold well enough for the For Dummies publisher that their competitor decided to cash in.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Imaro said:
It isn't that it bothers me, just think there is a better and more comprehensive way of doing this without another seperate $20 book that only deals with character creation. Mainly this idea I posted above.
But this isn't WotC publishing it. If WotC doesn't think it's an issue, they won't address it. This is what you get instead: a third-party solution.

Your issue is not with the Complete Idiots, it's with WotC (and folks on this thread) saying this isn't an issue worth addressing.

Remove ads