Complete Psionic: Divine Mind (Aproved)

Patlin

Explorer
This thread is for discussing whether this base class from Complete Psionic should be accepted into LEB. Complete Psionic was originally released 4/11/06.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I have CompPsi, but no experience with Divine Mind's in play. Guess the easiest comparison is with Paladins.

- Lower BAB (as PsyWar)
- Gain powers about the same time as Paladins
- Get some pp's to be used for Psi feats (or if you are Elan)
- Get some abilities based upon mantle's chosen

The close does not seem broken to me, but any others who have seen/played them?

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Hey,

I personally like the Divine Mind a lot, but I feel that (like the Pally) it suffers heavily from MAD. I don't think it is broken but I don't think that it's incredibly powerful either. One of the nice things about it is that it has a major class ability tied solely to helping their friends (Auras) which makes them a great team player.

Actually, I've been waiting a while for someone to propose a Divine Mind. I want my first Living Eberron PC to be one :)

Patlin

Explorer
As to MAD, unless I'm recalling it wrong their major class ability doesn't rely on any attributes at all. I suppose it might for some of the auras, there are a bunch of them...

Their spellcasting abilities are pretty minor. You wouldn't really need more than a 12 to 14 in the casting stat. Otherwise, you're as free to distribute your points as a fighter is.

What am I missing?

I'll reread the class tonight and see if I can answer my own question, unless someone beats me to it.

nimisgod

LEW Judge
Well, as a fighting type, you'd probably rely on Str/Dex (ranged or melee) and Con. A Divine Mind's powers are Wis-based. And they have Divine Grace at 4th level (Cha). So if you want to be a relatively optimized Divine-Mind, you'd have a lot max out.

Patlin

Explorer
nimisgod said:
Well, as a fighting type, you'd probably rely on Str/Dex (ranged or melee) and Con. A Divine Mind's powers are Wis-based. And they have Divine Grace at 4th level (Cha). So if you want to be a relatively optimized Divine-Mind, you'd have a lot max out.

True, but no matter where you put your stats a 20th level Divine Mind with the standard attack, defense and perception auras active and no applicable feats will be granting a +5 morale bonus to attack and damage rolls, a +5 morale bonus to AC, and a +6 morale bonus to Initiative, Listen and Spot to himself and to all allies within 50'.

If you only have a 12 wisdom and charisma, springing for moderately priced +4 enhancement items will allow you to use all of your powers and cause divine grace to give a +3 to all saving throws. You can benefit from a lot of stats, but in my opinion you're pretty independent of stats. If you want to be a melee monster, nothing really stops you from buying an 18 strength. If you want to be an archer, you can pump Dexterity.

I think you're a lot more free to chose with a Divine Mind than with, for example, a Monk.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Okay, did a twice-over on this and it seems rather balanced to me. It is overall much stronger than a Bard for a similar, though not identical, role, but that's okay with me because the Bard was designed in a silly way.

YES

Remove ads