Complete Psionic: Githzerai Racial Class (Aproved)

Patlin

Explorer
From p. 147 of Complete Psionic, this is essentially a more detailed implementation of how level adjustment works for Githzerai. Some racial benefits are delayed, such as psi like abilities and racial ability score adjustments. Level progression for ecl is 1/1/2/2/3/4 etc. instead of Not Available/Not Aailable/1/2/3/4 etc.

Works a lot better IMO.

Last edited:

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
I'm iffy on Githzeri in the setting anyway, official explanation or no. As for the racial class, I'm neutral on it, not having seen it in play.

Patlin

Explorer
More Detailed Analysis
Code:
Level		[U]Without Proposal[/U]			[U]With Proposal[/U]
1		NA					1 Class Level
							+2 Dex, -2 Int
							Darkvision
							Catfall 3/day
2		NA					+2 More Dex, +2 Wis
							Psionic Daze 3/day
3		1 Clas Level,+6 Dex, +2 Wis, -2 Int	2nd Class Level
		4 Psi Like Abilities 3/day		Inertial Armor 3/day
		PR 5+ Level
		Darkvision	
4		2nd Class Level				+2 Dex, PR 5+Level, Concussion Blast 1/day
5		3rd Class Level				3rd Class Level, Concussion Blast 2/day
6		4th Class Level				4th Class Level, Concussion Blast 3/day

Last edited:

Patlin

Explorer
In my opinion, the racial class is just smoother that the default LA method. It offers definite advantages at levels 1 and 2 (where Githzerai cannot otherwise be played) and getting the second class level at ECL 3 is a nice plus, since having one HD sucks. At levels 4 and 5, you're behind where you would otherwise be by a little. Levels 6+, it's not even relevant which method you use.

Patlin

Explorer
Regarding dislike of the Githzerai in general:

1 - The LA rules are essentially designed to be a deterent to choosing certain races. It's really hard to play a LA race without being significantly weaker than LA+0 races with the same ECL.

2 - In my experience, the deterrent effect works. We're not likely to see a whole lot of Gith or even Drow.

3 - The Gith races have a rich history in D&D. So much so that they are considered "product identity." I suggest it would be nice to have them in LEB.

4 - It's allready been decided that they are allowed, so all this proposal is really doing is slightly modifying the level adjustment mechanic.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Did Bront ever get a copy of CompPsi?

And when did we allow the Gith? Its not anywhere on any approved content that I see.

And, yes, the Gith are D&D identity, but does not mean it is Eberron identity.

I'm going to pull an RA on this one: Its not unbalanced, but not my cup of tea. So I'm going to ABSTAIN

Remove ads