D&D 4E Completed 4e Druid (Updated 7/11, New Items; More Versatile)

That's quite an accomplishment to produce that!

For a hybrid druid, this looks reasonable. Not sure about the level 1st-will that allows double damage against repeat targets... I guess it needs testing.

Not sure where you saw that druid would be hybrid class since in the preview book (Races & Classes), it seemed that they thought the 3.5 druid could do too wide of a variety of things. I think we know that summoning is out. For the official druid, will they have shapechange and elementalist powers and enhancement (buffing) powers? How would that compare to the PHB1 classes?

takasi

First Post
mattdm said:
Hmm. Do you think the four existing roles completely describe all possible combat niches?

For now, yes.

This is a something immediate to give people a chance to play a 4E druid, but I'd like to see a focus on the power source first followed by class design.

A 4E class is power source + role. I'm guessing WotC will have something like a primal controller (totemist), primal striker (barbarian), primal defender (druid) and primal leader (shaman) at some point.

Asmor

First Post
Awesome job.

Haven't looked at much of it, but Crushgrip gave me visions of a druid who spends all his time in animal shape, charging his enemy as a wolf and then turning into a bear mid-punce, then into a bobcat as he retreats...

Druids could make a really kick ass melee-focused divine striker.

Traycor

Explorer
Great Stuff!

I would recommend having Goodberry work more like healing potions in the PHB. Currently it is even better than using a healing surge granted by a cleric/warlord, and the players could pop one of those berries whenever they wanted if the druid gives them one.

I have a hard time seeing a defender/striker having a power that heals better than a power of a leader, even if it is a daily.

Once again, fantastic work!

mattdm

First Post
Alarius said:
Goodberry should be a ritual I believe. It hardly fits the nature of a utility power.

I like it as something without material components and without a long casting time: the druid plucks the berries and they become blessed. Or, for the sake of making the power useful somewhere other than a berry patch, takes them from a satchel as the power says.

demonlampshade

First Post
I really like the druid, one of my favorite classes (after the monk)

but when the druid's damage is compared to other defenders or strikers that they have nerf claws

just looks like most of these powers are underpowered (mainly towards higher levels; the at-wills and lower look good)

malcolm_n

Adventurer
Thank you all for the input here.
I compared goodberry to cure light wounds. Even at level 30, it's much less powerful in exchange for being versatile. It's not actually as powerful as a healing potion because that still heals you a full 1/4 of your hitpoints. This only heals 1/2 the druid's level. As to it being a ritual instead, it's not so powerful that it would require 5+ minutes. It's meant to be a quick bandaid in case the real healer goes down or can't get to somebody quickly. You still can't take a minor action to eat one when unconscious, so it's as versatile as a healing potion with less healing and no other benefit.

The 2x at-will after a round of combat is situational more than anything, but I agree that it could be very good in the right situation. I'll change it to a static bonus damage and lower a bit.

So, after I wrote the initial stats, I never actually went back and looked at them much. I know I had meant to put in will instead, but just ran with the fort/reflex. I'll errata that, I think.

I'll have a errata up soon as I get enough changes made to warrant it. Before then, I'll post any changes on the errata post I reserved (#4 i think.)

malcolm_n

Adventurer
demonlampshade said:
I really like the druid, one of my favorite classes (after the monk)

but when the druid's damage is compared to other defenders or strikers that they have nerf claws

just looks like most of these powers are underpowered (mainly towards higher levels; the at-wills and lower look good)
It's intentional that the higher powers are a bit lower in value. Many are one stage lower, in fact. A fighter would get a druid's defenderish power at 15 instead of 19. In exchange, the druid doesn't have to multiclass to get Strikerish powers too. It was the only way I could think to balance a hybrid class. Keeping powers one stage under doesn't make them so much as underpowered since those are still pretty good powers. And at the epic levels, they catch back up on the power curve with Wild Shape: Elemental, Eidolon, and chimera I think. Before I add power to them, I'd like to see them in play. Please, if you do get any in game feedback on their power level and it seems they're lagging badly, let me know.

biotech66

Explorer
Evenglare said:
Job well done sir. My girlfriend will be happy to see this (she plays a druid). This is very awesome indeed.

Does everyone's girlfriend play Druids? Mine does too and she almost refused flat out to play 4e until her favorite class came out.

Remove ads