• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Computer advice--Pentium or Celeron?

johnsemlak

First Post
I will be shopping for a new computer hopefully soon.

I'm wondering, how much is having a Pentium versus a celeron or other cheaper processer worth? Please give a complete non-tech dummie some advice :)

Tsyr

Explorer
I don't know about new celerons, but I had a celeron-500 laptop one time... I payed a pretty hefty restock fee, not to mention the price of the upgrade to a regular pentium model, to get rid of it. It was horrid.

On the other hand, modern Athalons are getting to be pretty nice. I wouldn't mind going with one of those if I didn't want to pay the Pentium price... In fact, I'm currently thinking of it for my new computer.

Maraxle

First Post
Celerons are fine for regular tasks - web browsing, word processing, listening to MP3s, etc. Processor intensive tasks, such as games and video editing are much better on a Pentium due to the increased cache size.

EDIT: As for Athlons, they are fairly comparable to the Pentium, but they run really hot. If you don't have a case with plenty of air circulation, fans, etc, they can get too warm and slow down or in extreme circumstances crash.

Last edited:

shadowlight

First Post
Maraxle said:
EDIT: As for Athlons, they are fairly comparable to the Pentium, but they run really hot. If you don't have a case with plenty of air circulation, fans, etc, they can get too warm and slow down or in extreme circumstances crash.

hmm... I've had a couple of computers with Athlons (and cases with fairly crappy cooling) and never had a problem.

johnsemlak

First Post
Mmm, thanks for the advice guys.

I am probably going to be playing CGs, but not many. Still, it's probably worth spending a little extra to make sure they work OK when you play 'em.

I'll have a look at the Athlons and see how much cheapter they are.

Psionicist

Explorer
johnsemlak said:
I will be shopping for a new computer hopefully soon.

I'm wondering, how much is having a Pentium versus a celeron or other cheaper processer worth? Please give a complete non-tech dummie some advice :)

A Ferrari or Yugo. It's up to you. :)

drothgery

First Post
Just to give a little bit of information here...
The Pentium 4-based Celerons really, really suck (they don't have enough cache for the Pentium 4 design to work well). A 1.8A GHz Pentium 4 will consistently outperform a 2.6 GHz Celeron. It's likely that next year's Prescott-based Celerons and Pentium-M based mobile Celerons will be much better budget CPUs (relative to their Pentium 4 and Pentium M brethren), but the current iteration of the Celeron should be avoided.

berova

First Post
drothgery said:
Just to give a little bit of information here...
The Pentium 4-based Celerons really, really suck (they don't have enough cache for the Pentium 4 design to work well). A 1.8A GHz Pentium 4 will consistently outperform a 2.6 GHz Celeron. It's likely that next year's Prescott-based Celerons and Pentium-M based mobile Celerons will be much better budget CPUs (relative to their Pentium 4 and Pentium M brethren), but the current iteration of the Celeron should be avoided.
Doh! I just (after T-day) had my wife pick up a 2.8 GHz Celeron from Best Buy. Couldn't pass it up (80GB HD & CD burner) for $200 (after rebates). But then considering I was upgrading from my 266 MHz Pentium-MMX notebook (my wife gets her Gateway 650 MHz Athlon back), anything would be considered an improvement.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads