• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Computer Problem Fixed! Thanks!

Ferret

Explorer
I'm pretty sure it would have to be physical, as it only started after the move. Try checking the plugs for the fans and if the heat sink is clean etc...

tylermalan

First Post
I read something online about Advanced Power Management, but I couldn't find it where the site said it would be.

I'll give those other options a try and let you guys know how it turns out! :D

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
It very well could be your CMOS battery needs to be changed out. The setting you are looking for has to be set in your BIOS. If your CMOS is dying get a new one at your local CVS. Make sure you copy down all your BIOS settings first.

tylermalan

First Post
Well, I unplugged and reseated all of my connections on my motherboard, and no dice.

How else can I tell if I actually need a new CMOS battery?

Rl'Halsinor

Explorer
tylermalan said:
Well, I unplugged and reseated all of my connections on my motherboard, and no dice.

How else can I tell if I actually need a new CMOS battery?

How old is the CMOS battery? Is it the original one that came with your motherboard?

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
Rl'Halsinor said:
How old is the CMOS battery? Is it the original one that came with your motherboard?

The CMOS battery was also my first thought.

If your motherboard was somehow cracked (aged plastic, temperature change, moving, etc.) then it could be something subtle like that. The crack could be microscopic, and only affect a couple of leads. If so, you are stuck with it until you change your motherboard.

Lastly, maybe a few sectors went bad on the hard disk when you moved. Maybe a chkdsk, defrag and/or reformat/reinstall would help.

Other than that, can't see what it could be. If your memory was damaged, you'd be having problems all the time.

This is only speculation, ofc.

XCorvis

First Post
tylermalan said:
I read something online about Advanced Power Management, but I couldn't find it where the site said it would be.

I'll give those other options a try and let you guys know how it turns out! :D

ACPI compliant motherboards (basically all of them now days) should support proper shutdown. Perhaps your motherboard didn't detect right? I'd try updating your motherboard drivers and BIOS. Also, go to Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager. Check the device "Computer" (I think) and see what it says below that. It should be something like "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". If it's something else, post it.

Firzair

First Post
Hi,
did you use another power supply (the part where you plug in you computers power cable)? My new computer will not properly shut down with my old master/slave power supply. It shuts down, but the peripheric devices and the fan and lights inside the computer run on. The old computer used less power in standby-mode than my new one, so the power supply always counts the new as "on".

Perhaps your problem comes from using another power supply or if you have a master/slave supply perhaps just the potentiometer was moved during the move, so now it reacts on less power than before.

Greetings
Firzair

tylermalan

First Post
XCorvis said:
ACPI compliant motherboards (basically all of them now days) should support proper shutdown. Perhaps your motherboard didn't detect right? I'd try updating your motherboard drivers and BIOS. Also, go to Control Panel->System->Hardware->Device Manager. Check the device "Computer" (I think) and see what it says below that. It should be something like "Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC". If it's something else, post it.

It says "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"

Remove ads