D&D 2E Conan 2e Preview and Character Sheet

Treebore

First Post
Strom said:
Dude - they have been selling Conan the RPG for 4 years in the USA with a topless woman on every other page. This ain't new. Take it easy :D

Guess you haven't been paying attention to the music album and video game debates about morality, ethics, age appropriateness, etc...

So just because Mongoose has flown under the radar so far does not mean they always will.

*deleted the rest to stay away from religious and political statements, as per ENWorlds rules*

ColonelHardisson

What? Me Worry?
Teflon Billy said:
And you call yourself Wisdom penalty?

Well said. I think the book looks awesome. This definitely goes on the Gen Con "Must Buy" list:)

Seriously. It's a Conan book...if there aren't naked women around everywhere something has gone wrong

Yeah, no kidding. Plus, this border art looks much more appealing than the old. I'm not sure about the cover, though - Frazetta's rendition of the same scene invites a lot of negative comparisons.

Attachments

• lancers_conan_conan_painting.jpg
    lancers_conan_conan_painting.jpg
    384.1 KB · Views: 127

Michael Dean

Explorer
Treebore said:
Guess you haven't been paying attention to the music album and video game debates about morality, ethics, age appropriateness, etc...

So just because Mongoose has flown under the radar so far does not mean they always will.

*deleted the rest to stay away from religious and political statements, as per ENWorlds rules*

Uhmm, I'm not sure you've been paying attention to the debates, either. There's no serious legal movement to ban any of the things you just mentioned, and in fact, they can't be banned, really. I'm a little mystified by the previous posters and their seemingly thinly veiled potshots at the U.S. Have any of them actually been in the U.S.? There has never been any outcry about the previous Conan edition, and with good reason. Any figure drawing art book at the local barnes & nobles has far more nudity.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Treebore said:
Huh? I must have read through the wrong PDF.
Even, odd, even. . . :D

Semi-naked chicks [or possibly naked and semi-exposed]? Yeah, whatever - it's Conan fercrissake. My girlfriend didn't care about that, with the last edition - and I don't think she'll start caring now. :p Oh, and me? I *really* couldn't care less.

I hope it's colour, is all. This could actually be a deal-breaker for me, as I was spoiled by 1st ed. being full colour, and pretty good-looking too, IMO.

Strom

First Post
Aus_Snow said:
Even, odd, even. . . :D

Semi-naked chicks [or possibly naked and semi-exposed]? Yeah, whatever - it's Conan fercrissake. My girlfriend didn't care about that, with the last edition - and I don't think she'll start caring now. :p Oh, and me? I *really* couldn't care less.

I hope it's colour, is all. This could actually be a deal-breaker for me, as I was spoiled by 1st ed. being full colour, and pretty good-looking too, IMO.

Mongoose sold some Conan 2e this past weekend at their Mongoose Day convention and the books are black & white with some color plates and the map is in color. I don't mind the b&w for a couple of reasons. Keeps the cost down - this isn't really a revamp but an update and I paid $50 for the first edition. Plus, having b&w makes the 1st edition unique and not just a waste, since I will definitely be picking up 2e.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Treebore said:

Most of which have been essentially over for 20 years.

Unless they're going to be playing the Conan game on TV as the half-time show at the Super Bowl, it's a non-issue.

MongooseMatt

First Post
Treebore said:
Wow! One chick with one boob showing becomes distracting on every page? When the illustration is only on one page? Talk about getting things blown all out of proportion.

However, in the good old up tight US of A, that is going to cause Mongoose problems. SO they better have a US version that has a "Mature Content" warning or gets rid of such illustrations.

If they have gotten away with such stuff in the USA so far, count yourself lucky, and pray that it keeps up.
One complaint and they will likely check out the whole Conan line and then a serious headache for Mongoose will ensue.

This is a fair point. And yes, we ran into this trouble with the first edition as well. There are whole swathes of the Midwest where you cannot buy the Conan RPG.

However, while we have moderated D20 books for the US market (as you might imagine, it isn't really an issue in Europe, and I think we only ever had one complaint from the UK), we are not going to do it with Conan. There are certain raw, primal, savage aspects of Conan that we will not skip around. That does not mean 'boobies' are intrinsic to the setting per se. But we are not going to skip around the subject and plaster bras on everyone to avoid offence. It is not worthy of Howard, and it is not worthy of Conan.

Distributors will inform stores of the content, just as they did with the first edition, and some stores will choose not to purchase it based on that warning. Yes, we lose sales that way, but I also believe we gain more from those who appreciate the Hyborian Age and what we try to do with it.

Oh, as for the colour question, no, it is b/w. By doing this, we have greatly increased the size of the book (it really does look massive, brick-like, compared to the first edition), while at the same time reducing the price. It is still all hardcore Conan action though!

Teflon Billy

Explorer
MongooseMatt said:
However, while we have moderated D20 books for the US market (as you might imagine, it isn't really an issue in Europe, and I think we only ever had one complaint from the UK), we are not going to do it with Conan. There are certain raw, primal, savage aspects of Conan that we will not skip around. That does not mean 'boobies' are intrinsic to the setting per se. But we are not going to skip around the subject and plaster bras on everyone to avoid offence. It is not worthy of Howard, and it is not worthy of Conan.

I'm just...amazed.

I always thought you guys had handled the Conan license well, but I had no idea that this was policy.

Tell me your brand and I will bring a six-pack to your booth at Gen Con:)

Oh, as for the colour question, no, it is b/w. By doing this, we have greatly increased the size of the book (it really does look massive, brick-like, compared to the first edition), while at the same time reducing the price. It is still all hardcore Conan action though!

Sold.

bolen

First Post
MongooseMatt said:
This is a fair point. And yes, we ran into this trouble with the first edition as well. There are whole swathes of the Midwest where you cannot buy the Conan RPG.

Distributors will inform stores of the content, just as they did with the first edition, and some stores will choose not to purchase it based on that warning. Yes, we lose sales that way, but I also believe we gain more from those who appreciate the Hyborian Age and what we try to do with it.
!
It's odd that an a character created by an american needs a British company to do it properly

Remove ads